• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Mate, if that schedule is correct they've moved it back from the mid March start to April 1st without expanding the number of rounds. Grounds weren't an issue this season starting mid March and I doubt it would have next season. There's no reason for it to clash but for those compiling the schedule wanting to.
Okay you sound so in touch with it.
Were are you based?
What team do you suppory?
How many home and away games do go and support your team?

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Okay you sound so in touch with it.
Were are you based?
What team do you suppory?
How many home and away games do go and support your team?

Dave, don't do a Matt Burke. It's not helpful and unnecessarily defensive. I've been an avid fan of the competition for as long as I can remember. So much so that even when living interstate I would regularly watch the iView replay an keep track of the goings on.

While it has been a few years since I've made it to a live game (I actually work most Saturdays) my opinion is still perfectly valid.

For the record I live in Camden and have played for and still support Randwick. Have done so since I started attending games with my old man 20 odd years ago. Despite not living anywhere near the club.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave, don't do a Matt Burke. It's not helpful and unnecessarily defensive. I've been an avid fan of the competition for as long as I can remember. So much so that even when living interstate I would regularly watch the iView replay an keep track of the goings on.

While it has been a few years since I've made it to a live game (I actually work most Saturdays) my opinion is still perfectly valid.

For the record I live in Camden and have played for and still support Randwick. Have done so since I started attending games with my old man 20 odd years ago. Despite not living anywhere near the club.
I was doing a Dave Beat and asked to know more about your background - appreciate you sharing.

Last couple of years from memory it was round 4 or 5 before a game was played at Manly Oval. In 2015 our first home game was at Wakehurst rugby park.

So allthough you say recent past years were okay, maybe, just maybe it wasnt as okay as we all think. I dont know, im not in the room discussion or listening.
Point i made above though - could the NRC not also have played ball? Did they play ball and ask or listen?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
NRC can't move very much I would think. Its contracted players require an off season before Super Rugby preseason starts. Its also two rounds longer with Fiji joining which would squeeze out all the wriggle room.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The NRC can't move back because what happened in Year 1 of NRC would keep happening when the Rising got thumped in the finals because their best 3 players went on the Spring Tour.

Of course, the Sprint Tour should take precedence, but it shouldn't have to clash.

We had a system that worked. Maybe it wasn't optimal, but it worked.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
You can reframe it all you want. But it doesn't change the fact that they've left the number of rounds the same (again according to the schedule on the previous page) while moving it back in order to conflict with the NRC.

Have I missed something?
Has the 2017 NRC draw been announced?
What makes you think the SS will conflict with the NRC?
I can't see the ARU allowing that to happen.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The NRC can't move back because what happened in Year 1 of NRC would keep happening when the Rising got thumped in the finals because their best 3 players went on the Spring Tour.

Of course, the Sprint Tour should take precedence, but it shouldn't have to clash.

We had a system that worked. Maybe it wasn't optimal, but it worked.

How dare players play for the Wallabies instead of their NRC team
What Wallabies were running around in the NRC this year, or last year?
I had thought one of the drivers of the NRC was unearthing, developing and providing a pathway for "new talent" and not simply sticking contracted players in a team.

Plenty of people seem to want to slag off SS for doing the best they can to work around the cricket season - but seriously is there any reason why the NRC with some of the quality "rugby"grounds available cant also adjust a little as well.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I was doing a Dave Beat and asked to know more about your background - appreciate you sharing.

Last couple of years from memory it was round 4 or 5 before a game was played at Manly Oval. In 2015 our first home game was at Wakehurst rugby park.

So allthough you say recent past years were okay, maybe, just maybe it wasnt as okay as we all think. I dont know, im not in the room discussion or listening.
Point i made above though - could the NRC not also have played ball? Did they play ball and ask or listen?

Further to that Norths played a game at Camden in Round 1 assume you were in attendance WorkingClassRugger as an avid Shute Shield fan? Gordon played at Mingara.

However minor it is it affects revenue in the end and thats how clubs produce top quality players by providing programs that the ARU simply doesn't support (i.e getting gate/fundraising/canteen etc).

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
How dare players play for the Wallabies instead of their NRC team
What Wallabies were running around in the NRC this year, or last year?
I had thought one of the drivers of the NRC was unearthing, developing and providing a pathway for "new talent" and not simply sticking contracted players in a team.

Plenty of people seem to want to slag off SS for doing the best they can to work around the cricket season - but seriously is there any reason why the NRC with some of the quality "rugby"grounds available cant also adjust a little as well.

Dave, I think you're missing my point. I even said in my post:

There's guys who perform well in the NRC that get taken on tour every year, this year's most obvious example was Latu.

The NRC can't adjust towards the end of the year because it's bang up against the Spring Tour window. Debatably the Grand Final could've been a week later this year, with the Mitre 10 Cup being a week later, but next year there's an extra side and thus an extra round.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Something I will add about the issues some have flagged with the lower grades. We often said 'it's unfair for the lower grades to lose games because some 1st graders have to play NRC'.

To them I say, have you played or coaches lower grade football recently? Every side I've been involved with is banged up and fatigued by 2/3 into the season, with a spring-in-your-step returning a couple of weeks before finals (if you're lucky enough to make them).

I don't think the lower graders would be all too unhappy with a 16 game season, because when you add finals and trials it's 20 games plus. That is a lot of football.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I see that the Brisbane grand-final will be on 20 August and the SS grand final will be on the 26 August. 6 days apart.

So much for the evil SS clubs being out of step with the rest of the country.:rolleyes:

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave, I think you're missing my point. I even said in my post:

There's guys who perform well in the NRC that get taken on tour every year, this year's most obvious example was Latu.

The NRC can't adjust towards the end of the year because it's bang up against the Spring Tour window. Debatably the Grand Final could've been a week later this year, with the Mitre 10 Cup being a week later, but next year there's an extra side and thus an extra round.

I'm sure the NRC is about lifting the depth of 2nd tier (soup) players, and not about droping first tier (test) players back into 3rd tier rugby.

In my eyes the NRC should start after Premier Rugby so all the aspiring player wanting to step up to the next level get to do so.

The start dates should not be about test players dropping back 2 tiers.

T

TOCC

I see that the Brisbane grand-final will be on 20 August and the SS grand final will be on the 26 August. 6 days apart.

So much for the evil SS clubs being out of step with the rest of the country.:rolleyes:

Yet the QPR doesn't overlap with the NRC Rd1 does it???

T

TOCC

Have I missed something?
Has the 2017 NRC draw been announced?
What makes you think the SS will conflict with the NRC?
I can't see the ARU allowing that to happen.

ARU don't control the Shute Shield, the SS draw is set by the Sydney Rugby Union who has Brett Papworth as vice-chairman, a vocal ARU opponent. Begg the SRU Chairman even said the SS will operate autonomously and don't see the need to play a prominent role with the ARU.

T

TOCC

I'm sure the NRC is about lifting the depth of 2nd tier (soup) players, and not about droping first tier (test) players back into 3rd tier rugby.

In my eyes the NRC should start after Premier Rugby so all the aspiring player wanting to step up to the next level get to do so.

The start dates should not be about test players dropping back 2 tiers.

You achieve one by doing the other.. you lift the standard of play and the level of competitiveness by having the best players playing, that includes super rugby and Wallaby squad players.

You're right though, NRC should start after the SS to allow the best players the opportunity to play and potentially earn higher honours, that's why the change of dates by the SRU is disappointing not just for stakeholders but the players as well.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You achieve one by doing the other.. you lift the standard of play and the level of competitiveness by having the best players playing, that includes super rugby and Wallaby squad players.

You're right though, NRC should start after the SS to allow the best players the opportunity to play and potentially earn higher honours, that's why the change of dates by the SRU is disappointing not just for stakeholders but the players as well.

Cheers TOCC - I am one of the guys who is right behind SS, but it is more than that it is Premiere rugby, I want all states lifting their premier rugby and the ARU ensuring that happens - if we lift that level quality pushes up.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm getting very confused by people suggesting the SS and NRC will clash.
How can they?
There wouldn't be enough players for the NRC without club players from Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, etc.
The NRC will surely not start until the various Premier comps finish.
To suggest that the SRU have come up with a draw without consultation with the ARU (and their approval) seems hard to believe.

Wallaby commitments have nothing to do with the timing of the NRC.
The Rugby Championship starts on 19/8 and runs for 6 rounds (plus byes) and although the full draw hasn't yet been announced the Wallabies play their last Bledisloe Cup game on 21/10.
The Spring Tour starts on 4/11 v Japan.
The Wallaby squad involved in the RC and BCup are never available for the NRC and although there will probably be some extra NRC players added for the Spring Tour the NRC can run on after the Spring Tour starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.