• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not to mention losing two men to yellow cards who both didn't deserve it, Daniel Cheever showed one of the more woeful refereeing performances I have ever seen at this level. Won't be surprised if he is on duty for reserve grade in round 2.

The guy in 2's with the whistle was just as bad!!

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Can we ditch the personal abuse of referees? Its a thankless job at the best of times.
And where are the Moderators removing these type of posts?
Or is it only the players that get such protection?

T

The Gunsmith

Can we ditch the personal abuse of referees? Its a thankless job at the best of times.

I agree there is no need for abuse but seriosus questions have to be asked at times. You have 30 guys giving 100% only to be let down by some very poor decisions. A good referee should be there but not really seen. The game is there for the players enjoyment

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

We do our best to read every post, but we all have jobs and sometimes a post will slip through the cracks. I agree there is no place for ref abuse here.

I think Cheever is pretty good. Good to see some younger guys coming through this year, eg Gus Gardiner, Callan O'Neill etc.

T

truckandtrailor

I understand that being a referee is a bloody hard job and a thankless one as well. But I didn't see too much wrong with skullrings comment. Personally, I thought that skullrings post was just a pespective that one guy had of the refs performance and nothing more. People are just as critical on the players as they are on refs and as long as they can justify there reasons for criticising someone without using language I enjoy hearing their reasons. It dosen't mean I have to believe every post like it's the absolute truth. We all know that obviously sometimes there is bias towards their own team. Now unfortunatley for players and refs, they are human and will have their good days and their bad days but, if we are going to censor every criticism, then we won't have a discussion at all. Is that too out of line to say? If so I apologise, but it's just what I think. As a player, I have been mentioned on rugby discussions, negative and positive comments have been said, I don't take it personally, and it's good to hear what people think as long as they can justifiy their perceptions.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Truckandtrailor, the personal stuff has now been removed and it was that to which I objected. You don't run around with a whistle to win any popularity contest so refs can cop criticism.
Just remember we're only amateurs. And trying our arses off.

B

Bradley

Dennan Kemp?

Makes sense if he go's to the rebels?

Good call Bowside.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...melbourne-rebels/story-e6frexnr-1226034309238

Denan Kemp likely to join Melbourne Rebels
Jon Geddes From: The Daily Telegraph
April 06, 2011 12:00AM

THE Melbourne Rebels put Brisbane Broncos back Denan Kemp through a secret medical assessment yesterday and the club is likely to announce his signing within the next 24 hours.
He would become the fourth NRL player to join the new Super Rugby franchise along with Jarrod Saffy, Cooper Vuna and Luke Rooney.

And once the deal is finalised he will also play for the battling Parramatta Two Blues in a very positive step for the Sydney premiership.

It is anticipated Kemp will make his rugby debut on the wing in the Shute Shield game against Randwick at Granville Park on Saturday.

The 23-year-old punctured his lung scoring a match-winning try in the first NRL round of 2010 against Newcastle and missed the rest of the season.

He was also injured during this year's pre-season competition and then found himself playing with the Wynnum-Manly feeder club.

The Broncos gave Kemp permission to negotiate with the Rebels because of the high regard in which he is held at the club.

And securing Kemp would be a major coup for Parramatta, who did not win a game last year.

"All going well he will be training with the Rebels from tomorrow and will be up here on Thursday to train with us and turn out on Saturday," said Parramatta coach Glen Christini.

"It's a fairly significant signing and outcome if it all comes together."

Besides having a good turn of speed Kemp is an accomplished kicker.s in general play.

Meanwhile Pat McCutcheon ran at No.7 at Waratahs training yesterday and will replace injured skipper Phil Waugh on the side of the scrum for Saturday's game against the Force in Perth.

It is also likely that lock Kane Douglas will return to the starting side after being rested from last Friday's win over the Chiefs.

T

truckandtrailor

Truckandtrailor, the personal stuff has now been removed and it was that to which I objected. You don't run around with a whistle to win any popularity contest so refs can cop criticism.
Just remember we're only amateurs. And trying our arses off.

Oh right, no problems... I thought the issue was what was said above. Sorry lads.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Does anyone know if the Shute Shield games are still being played on ABC and thus iView? I'm Victorian so it's my only chance to stay in touch.

Sorry if it's been covered, I don't want to read anything before this in this thread due to potential spoilers.

Eastwood v Souths showing up on iView at the moment.

JFT

Frank Nicholson (4)
First grade teams have been announced for round two of 2011 Sydney Premier Rugby to be played on Saturday 9 April.

2011 Sydney Premier Rugby
Shute Shield Round 2 – 9 April 2011
MANLY (3) v WARRINGAH (5) at Manly Oval (ABC TV Game, 3:10pm)
Manly: 1. Eddie Aholelei, 2. Elvis Taione, 3. Jono Owen; 4. Greg Peterson, 5. Cadeyrn Neville; 6. Ed Gower, 7. Kotoni Ale, 8. Neil Meyer; 9. Chris Cottee, 10. Ben Seymour; 11. Chris Yarrington, 12. Robbie Coleman, 13. Brian Sefanaia, 14. Lui Siale; 15. BJ Hartman.
Warringah: 1. Richard Southern, 2. Ronald Hobden, 3. Dan Barnard; 4. Mitchell Longrigg, 5. Luke Hanvey; 6. Paul MacGugan, 7. James Lindfield, 8. Jason Peseta; 9. Josh Holmes [c], 10. Maurice Kennedy; 11. Dylan Smouha , 12. Joe Walsh, 13. Ed Doyle, 14. Michael Dalton; 15. Dave Feltscheer.
Referee: James Leckie
NORTHERN SUBURBS (9) v WEST HARBOUR (7) at North Sydney Oval (3:00pm)
Northern Suburbs:1. Lawrence Hunting, 2. Scott Podmore, 3. Scott Sio; 4. Kingsley Seale, 5. Ben Matwijow; 6. Seti Tafua, 7. Wil Brame, 8. AJ Gilbert; 9. James Price, 10. Pete Smith; 11. Zack Holmes, 12. Stu Adam, 13. Henari Veratau, 14. Bill Meakes; 15. Samu Wara.
West Harbour: 1.Rodney Blake, 2. Reg de Jager, 3. Vaughan Lomax; 4. Tom Hikila, 5. Damien Lloyd; 6. Sione Tau, 7. Dan Thomas, 8. Isaiah Pine; 9. Jeremy Su’a, 10. Shaun Treweek; 11. Macquire Tatola, 12. Nua Alone, 13. Henry Seavula, 14. Joe Tuvitu; 15. Liam Windon.
Referee: Anthony Moyes
PENRITH (6) v GORDON (10) at Nepean Rugby Park (3:00pm)
Penrith: 1. Dave Coventry, 2. Toa Asa, 3. Richard Aho; 4. Luke Williams, 5. Dale Shane; 6. Winnie Paulo, 7. Rob Carlson, 8. Viliami Napia’a; 9. Sikuti Vunipola, 10. Gavin Duncan; 11. Tala Mapesone, 12. Hamilton Va’alepu, 13. Lachlan Porteous, 14. Stan Tuionuku; 15. Ateloa Okati.
Gordon: 1.Lawrence Marsh, 2. Tobius Gukibau [c], 3. Travis Church; 4. Lex Fairley, 5. Ben Paurini; 6. Jonno Broome, 7. Mitch Greenway, 8. Junior To’o; 9. Terry Preston, 10. Josh Keil; 11. Eric Maroni, 12. Tom Mathews, 13. Dion Berryman, 14. Matt McDougall; 15. Dave Harvey.
Referee: Daniel Cheever
SOUTHERN DISTRICTS (12) v EASTERN SUBURBS (4) at Forshaw Rugby Park (3:00pm)
Southern Districts: 1. Tetera Faulkner, 2. John Ulugia, 3. Duncan Chubb; 4. Rome Nifo, 5. Hoani Matengi; 6. Sean Doyle, 7. Sam Latunipulu, 8. Lopeti Timani; 9. Josh Gamgee [c], 10. Ben Volavola; 11. Ryan Shortland, 12. Apo Latunipulu, 13. Nicky Price, 14. Ben Connolly; 15. Rohan Saifoloi.
Eastern Suburbs: 1. Campese Ma’afu, 2. Tom Coolican, 3. Rob McMickan; 4. Matt McGann, 5. Phil Mathers; 6. Jordan Brown, 7. Andrew Shaw, 8. Talalelei Gray; 9. Luke Irwin, 10. Kurt Morath; 11. Ratu Ma’afu, 12. Dion Taumata, 13. Anton Lavin, 14. Johnny Morath; 15. Junior Poroku.
Referee: Angus Gardner
SYDNEY UNIVERSITY (2) v EASTWOOD (1) at University Oval No.1 (3:00pm)
Sydney University: 1. Jeremy Tilse, 2. Ben Roberts, 3. Paddy Ryan; 4. Hugh Hawkins, 5. Tom Heslop; 6. Harry Marples, 7. David Hickey, 8. Jack de Guingand; 9. Eddie Bredenhann, 10. Bernard Foley; 11. Nick Edwards, 12. James McMahon, 13. Elih Baillie, 14. Will du Plessis; 15. Danny Kroll.
Eastwood: 1. Simon Norris, 2. Bleddyn Gant, 3. Martin Plokstys; 4. Tom Alexander, 5. Josh Dunning; 6. Gareth Palamo, 7. Hugh Perrett, 8. Miles McCaffrey; 9. Nic White, 10. Pierre Hola; 11. John Grant, 12. Sione Piukala, 13. Tim Bennetts, 14. Cameron Mitchell; 15. Ben Batger [c].
Referee: Jamie McGregor
PARRAMATTA (11) v RANDWICK (8) at Granville Park (3:00pm)
Randwick: 1. Daniel Spencer, 2. John Fonokalafi, 3. Steven Noriega; 4. Tim Maxwell, 5. Geoffrey Ingram; 6. Seilala Lam; 7. Tim McGann, 8. David Parsons; 9. Luke Parsons, 10. Jai Ayoub; 11. Clinton Sills, 12. Toby Browne, 13. Tom Joseph, 14. Tom Tombleson; 15. Tim Wright.
Parramatta:1.Sione Taula, 2. Trent Hoscher, 3. Lamarn Ma’a; 4. Ryan Aniseko, 5. Josh Kron; 6. Andrew Cox, 7. Rodney Ma’a, 8. Waqa Vulawalu; 9. Lua Vailoaloa, 10. Ioane Sefo; 11. Dan Yakopo, 12. Jesse Leota, 13. Damien Fakafanua, 14. Brendan Lane; 15. Tyler Stevens.
Referee: Callan O’Neill

S

scampi

This is my first post, I have been reading the forum in an attempt to understand the game a little better, I am not sure if it is helping. Clearly I am a female and I am tired of the men in my family telling me that I don't understand anything about the game. I am hoping that somebody can tell me why the Rebels are signing rugby League players - in all of Australia have we run out of young talent or is it a marketing thing?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
This is my first post, I have been reading the forum in an attempt to understand the game a little better, I am not sure if it is helping. Clearly I am a female and I am tired of the men in my family telling me that I don't understand anything about the game. I am hoping that somebody can tell me why the Rebels are signing rugby League players - in all of Australia have we run out of young talent or is it a marketing thing?

It wouldn't be a marketing thing as Kemp is very much a journeyman, I don't think anyone outside of AFL has the money for a purely 'marketing' based signing.

I think it's more the Rebels not being willing to rely on youth rather then the youth not being there. I'd really like to see a guy like Anton Lavin signed given a crack to be honest.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

First of all- welcome.

Secondly, we are certainly low on young talent that is unsigned. Now with 5 teams most good young players are signed to a team, so when injuries come up like they have at the Rebels teams are forced to look in unusual places for new players- rugby league, overseas etc. That is why we saw David Hill come back from Japan last season for the Force, and its the same reason that sees Kemp sign with the Rebels.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

Welcome fellow female. From my experience the best way to learn the game is to play it. I grew up watching mostly league with a bit of Rugby, pretty much international matches, it wasnt till I started playing at 16 that I started to understand the game.

Failing that you cant go wrong with just watching game after game after game of Rugby till your eye balls bleed and just pick up on what happens. If you really want to get technical go to the IRB website and download the laws of the game http://www.irblaws.com/EN/downloads/

On recruiting league players that have no connection to Rugby what-so-ever I believe in giving opportunites to Rugby players first. I havent enjoyed watching some league players come over, get their money then bugger off back to League to bitch about Rugby. However the fact is we dont have as big of a talent pool as AFL or NRL and we have, at least in NSW, a very narrow pathway for people to progress into Super Rugby. So we arent spitting out players by the barrel load like the other two. However I think as it has been noted here already is that the Rebels want some experienced players, even if it isnt Rugby they want some people who can handle pressure. There are also exceptions that some league players originally came from Rugby, like Jarrod Saffy.

Kemp is a bit of a journeyman he was apparently a soccer player before the Broncos got a hold of him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
10. Ben Volavola; 12. Apo Latunipulu

Incredible, those two were at school together less than a year ago, although Volavola didn't play last year due to being overage they were the Newington 10/12 combo 2 years ago.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Tell ya what, watching the replay of the South vs Woodies game from the weekend, a couple things stood out for me:

1, How good was that scrummaging battle! Both packs just gave it to each other all day.
2, [avert your eyes ladies] Steph Brantz as the MC for ABC rugby :) :) :)

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Good call Bowside.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...melbourne-rebels/story-e6frexnr-1226034309238

Denan Kemp likely to join Melbourne Rebels
Jon Geddes From: The Daily Telegraph
April 06, 2011 12:00AM

THE Melbourne Rebels put Brisbane Broncos back Denan Kemp through a secret medical assessment yesterday and the club is likely to announce his signing within the next 24 hours.
He would become the fourth NRL player to join the new Super Rugby franchise along with Jarrod Saffy, Cooper Vuna and Luke Rooney.

And once the deal is finalised he will also play for the battling Parramatta Two Blues in a very positive step for the Sydney premiership.

It is anticipated Kemp will make his rugby debut on the wing in the Shute Shield game against Randwick at Granville Park on Saturday.

The 23-year-old punctured his lung scoring a match-winning try in the first NRL round of 2010 against Newcastle and missed the rest of the season.

He was also injured during this year's pre-season competition and then found himself playing with the Wynnum-Manly feeder club.

The Broncos gave Kemp permission to negotiate with the Rebels because of the high regard in which he is held at the club.

And securing Kemp would be a major coup for Parramatta, who did not win a game last year.

"All going well he will be training with the Rebels from tomorrow and will be up here on Thursday to train with us and turn out on Saturday," said Parramatta coach Glen Christini.

"It's a fairly significant signing and outcome if it all comes together."

Besides having a good turn of speed Kemp is an accomplished kicker.s in general play.
I think you'll find he is not coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.