• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

F1Fan

Don't know that Penrith will finish last. Heard from some mates up there that Matt Briggs is staying on as coach after winning Shute Shield coach of the year in 2010. They were very competitive last year and had their best year since 1999 when Scotty Johnson coached them. Co-incidently he also won coach of the year then. Always a very, very tough game out there and they were probably unlucky not to win a couple more very close games last year. I'd expect they've been able to add some more good recruits after such a positive season for them.

I'm predicting the Briggs bubble to burst and burst significantly. They had less than 20 at training last week

X

xmarksthespot

Their good backrow which included Vinney Paulo and Junior T'oo played for Penrith last year. I hope your next post is a little bit more educated. I was at Manly Oval last year when the Marlins put a hundred on them. Maile Latukefu is talented but dude this isn't sportal. I'd maybe fact check before posting. I'm sorry if this seems harsh but you will get picked up on any mistake. Also welcome X.

What Facts are u on about champ? i know paulo and To'o were at penrith last year. I saw the side for rd 1 too...they struggled for numbers and got that side together the thursday before the comp started...I also been keen observer for club rugby for some time now and know that they are really only a few decent players short on a really competitive side...rd 2 parra manly game last year prob woulds been a very different story had they had a midfield.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I don't know how old this item is from Rugby News but ....

Sydney Premiership Clubs to meet lowered player points caps for 2011 season.
by Jim Davis

A reduction of 20 points to a player cap of 120 points is expected to receive final approval for the Shute Shield competition.

Reduced Player Points Caps are expected to receive the final sign-off by all Sydney premiership clubs at a meeting next week.

A review sub-committee, consisting of representatives from Eastern Suburbs, Gordon, Parramatta, Randwick, Sydney University and West Harbour, made recommendations to all clubs late in 2010 and sought feedback for amendments. Our sources tell us late changes are most unlikely.

Which would not surprise as a number of Sydney premier clubs have had their eyes on the revised points caps in the off-season.

The premiership club competitions are now under the control of the re-established Sydney Rugby Union (SRU).

Player Points Caps to receive final approval for 2011 are:

First Grade - 120 points (previously 140).

Second Grade - unchanged at 60 points.

First Grade Colts - 40 points (previously 50).

Second Grade Colts - 35 points (previously 40).

With an ear to the ground we hear there are likely to be criteria changes again in 2012.

There has also been talk of three clubs that would have exceeded the new caps in certain 2010 matches.

When final sign-off is completed Rugby News plans to make available the revised points criteria to club rugby supporters. We have already received requests.

Can somebody please inform forum members about how the points are calculated? I used to know all this stuff but have forgotten.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Can somebody please inform forum members about how the points are calculated? I used to know all this stuff but have forgotten.

High Level Summary - it is based on what type of player you are at 1 Jan each year.

Major Test Cap = 20
Minor Test Cap = 10
S14/15 (at least 3 starts) = 16
>40 Sydney 1st Grade = 10
>25 Sydney 1st Grade = 6
Aust Schools, Aust U20s or >50% start in A games (in last 2 seasons) = 10
>50% 1st Colts in previous year = 4

Loyalty discounts
-1 for each year at club (incl U11-U17 at junior club) up to a max of 5
No points for 8+ years service
-1 for each year out of Tests/S14

Starting players and fresh reserves who get on the field are counted. If you play in Reserve Grade, your points only count in that Grade.

Teams in trouble last year would have come from Easts, Souths & Warringah (and maybe Randwick but their team changed so much week to week).

Uni's points were not that high last year as they have many loyalty discounts and a number of their players only became S14 players in 2010.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thanks Eyes and Ears, very handy. Is a minor test cap one awarded against a non-Tri-Nations/6 Nations country?

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thanks for the table.

Would that mean for example if Phil Waugh has played for Uni since 2000 he has no points attributed to him because of the 8+ years service?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
OK. Are these points ratings made public for each player?

sort of. They are included on the results sheets on the NSW Rugby website when you drill into the detail of the ladders and fixtures.

Would that mean for example if Phil Waugh has played for Uni since 2000 he has no points attributed to him because of the 8+ years service?

Yes. Same for Carter, Halangahu, Davidson & Dave Dennis

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Thanks for Eyes and Ears - I'm going to save that and when someone else asks later on I can tell them and appear to be smart.

Cyril Towers (30)
Isn't there some kind of father/son rule?
ie: there is a discount for players if their father played for the same club.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

If there is, it is a ridiculous, reactionary, rule. A rule like this would only benefit the fat old rich clubs, by definition. Surely we should be finding ways and means to strengthen the clubs in the fringe areas - like Penriff and Parra in particular.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
If there is, it is a ridiculous, reactionary, rule. A rule like this would only benefit the fat old rich clubs, by definition. Surely we should be finding ways and means to strengthen the clubs in the fringe areas - like Penriff and Parra in particular.

Penrith Club was established in 1968. Parramatta began as Cumberland in 1879. They were admitted to First Division in 1934.

Apologies for dislodging the chip on someone's shoulder but in this instance there is no bias toward "the fat old rich clubs".

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Bruce, I think the point he was making is that it is the "fat old rich clubs" that struggle with the points.
I am sure Penriff & Parra will not be impacted at all by the reduction this year.

As an aside I think the points system is a joke. Codes that have salary caps have it for the CLUB, not the run on side.This is as it should be with the points with players in the Shute Shield.
Each CLUB should be restricted on who they register,not who they select each week.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Last week I had a tongue in cheek comment about Tom Kingston being an Annandale or Glebe jnr. Bruce in his reply stated that he couldn't understand why a player as an 8 year old should be loyal to his jnr club. I agreed, but this case was different with the aforementioned player playing !sts Colts with Manly as an Aust schoolboy and then going to Uni.
Bruce if your club continues to cherrypick all jnr talent then the points system is a complete waste of time due to the myriad of exemptions.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Last week I had a tongue in cheek comment about Tom Kingston being an Annandale or Glebe jnr. Bruce in his reply stated that he couldn't understand why a player as an 8 year old should be loyal to his jnr club. I agreed, but this case was different with the aforementioned player playing !sts Colts with Manly as an Aust schoolboy and then going to Uni.
Bruce if your club continues to cherrypick all jnr talent then the points system is a complete waste of time due to the myriad of exemptions.

There are of course quite a few instances of flows in the other direction, lily, i.e., players who have played Colts for Uni while at school, then chosen to move to another club. As for "the myriad of exemptions" in the point system could I suggest that none of them were included to suit the interests of Uni, but rather other clubs who were pursuing perceived self interest?

P

Parra GM

Codes that have salary caps have it for the CLUB, not the run on side.This is as it should be with the points with players in the Shute Shield.
Each CLUB should be restricted on who they register,not who they select each week.

Interesting concept

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Great the full draw is now available on the NSW Rugby website. Don't know how long it has been up for, so sorry if this is late news.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

Yes there is a 5 point discount for father/son and also for siblings if the player's brother played in the previous season. These family discounts only apply in your first year at the club which for many would be at colts level.

Status
Not open for further replies.