• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The original rebels are looking to sign three of the blow in rebels for post S15 service: Saffy, Rooney and Vuna. These stories seem to come out of the Souths came with a degree of regularity now so I will leave it to you to determine its credence.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
You're jealous of our sugar daddy.

And with good cause. My spies tell me Kevin Maloney is doing more for the club than just helping to poach players from elsewhere.

The sport needs more Maloneys and more Sydney Unis. This opinion may not sit well with the majority view because of the argument that there are only so many players in the Shute Shield pool. Maloney will help to develop the sport in the SD area and Uni provides a centre of excellence for elite players that is scarcely less impressive than the Tahs amateur academy.

A couple of Maloneys operating out west will do wonders for the sport. We can't keep going operating the clubs in the amateur way with the handouts they get now, and the methods they use now, and expect anything different than what we have. We need to establish rugby strong points throughout the city and especially where the population is.

Don't tell anybody at the Rats that I said this.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
And with good cause. My spies tell me Kevin Maloney is doing more for the club than just helping to poach players from elsewhere.

The sport needs more Maloneys and more Sydney Unis. This opinion may not sit well with the majority view because of the argument that there are only so many players in the Shute Shield pool. Maloney will help to develop the sport in the SD area and Uni provides a centre of excellence for elite players that is scarcely less impressive than the Tahs amateur academy.

A couple of Maloneys operating out west will do wonders for the sport. We can't keep going operating the clubs in the amateur way with the handouts they get now, and the methods they use now, and expect anything different than what we have. We need to establish rugby strong points throughout the city and especially where the population is.

Don't tell anybody at the Rats that I said this.

LG, it's a shame that you don't get a fee for each post because then you could prop up the Rats.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)

Agree to the extent it would lead to more young men choosing rugby on a semi-professional basis. My concern would be if the Sydney clubs built up at the expense of other Australian club competitions (particularly Brisbane). What appears to be happening at Parra may be good for that club but may not be so good for the John I Dent comp. The counter for this may be there is realistically only resources for one third tier comp and Sydney is the most economic alternative.

S

skullring

LG, it's a shame that you don't get a fee for each post because then you could prop up the Rats.

Personally I found his post to be immature and delusional, wishing for more multi millionaire benefactors to each club is like having 'win the lotto' as one of your career aspirations.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Only saw today that Todd Loudon is the new head coach of Uni. Haven't seen it here, or is it old news? Either way it will make Uni even better this year, and it would take a very brave man to bet against them with such quality staff. Can't help thinking Todd has his eyes on the Waratahs gig.

P

Parra GM

Only saw today that Todd Loudon is the new head coach of Uni. Haven't seen it here, or is it old news? Either way it will make Uni even better this year, and it would take a very brave man to bet against them with such quality staff. Can't help thinking Todd has his eyes on the Waratahs gig.

He should be the Tahs coach one day no question. Hickey doing a good job though......bringing in Muggo will be a masterstroke. Already no tries conceded in 2 games. Next week will be a real test against a Crusaders side with added motivation.

W

waves

Word has it that Sydney Uni have singed a number of QLD schoolboys and seniors to join their grade squad this year can anyone confirm this ?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Word has it that Sydney Uni have singed a number of QLD schoolboys and seniors to join their grade squad this year can anyone confirm this ?

A very small number and no established grade players. Basically young blokes a year or so out of school who don't seem to have really been on anyone's radar in Brisbane. They look the goods but they won't necessarily be playing grade.

C

chriss555

The original rebels are looking to sign three of the blow in rebels for post S15 service: Saffy, Rooney and Vuna. These stories seem to come out of the Souths came with a degree of regularity now so I will leave it to you to determine its credence.

Be good signings if your source is accurate.

U

Upright

A very small number and no established grade players. Basically young blokes a year or so out of school who don't seem to have really been on anyone's radar in Brisbane. They look the goods but they won't necessarily be playing grade.

Bruce are you able to say who? Could I ask, is the reason the Qld kids are coming south (Dion Tamata,Saifolio plus whoever is referred to here) because McKenzie has effectively closed the door on any school leavers being placed straight into the Reds Academy?

P

Parra GM

Word is this will be confirmed later this week.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce are you able to say who? Could I ask, is the reason the Qld kids are coming south (Dion Tamata,Saifolio plus whoever is referred to here) because McKenzie has effectively closed the door on any school leavers being placed straight into the Reds Academy?

Three that I can mention because they have already turned out for Uni in the game against the Victorian State side on Friday night are Kirwan Sanday, Elih Baillie and James Willan. Elih and James have come to Uni from the Cronulla Sharks NYC program.

I was not aware that "McKenzie has effectively closed the door on any school leavers being placed straight into the Reds Academy", but that's entirely up to the Queenslanders to concern themselves with. What I have been told is that McKenzie went to some lengths to dissuade another young player from coming south, his main argument apparently being that Sydney Uni wouldn't develop him and wouldn't look after him after Colts.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
James Willan was dropped put of the Sharks NYC squad in 2009 and played some colts matches for Gordon at the end of that year

A

Albert

Does anyone have extra info on Steve Noriega? I know he's a prop, I know his old man was pretty bloody handy, and I know he's been in and around the Brumbies set-up for a few years. He's with us now, and is a big man. Can he play? Any specific reason he's not still in Canberra?

Status
Not open for further replies.