• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Parra GM said:
The 2010 grand final had 5500 (and was apparently inflated too )
Yes, very dissapointing. Although so was the advertised match. Uni vs Randwick II, nothing wrong with the talent on display.. just didn't want to see the same thing. I'm sure the crowd would been bigger if it was a fresh match.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Bar barian you need to read my previous post. One of the thing that annoys me is that people shoot their mouths off without checking the previous direction that the conversation was taking.If you had Barbarian you would have worked out that we agree.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Agree re the ABC, they do a great job.
But how good would it be to be able to open the papers each Monday & see a review of the previous weekends games , or on Friday see a review of the next weekends matches .
How about a few photos ?
And a decent , readable , advertisement in the papers re each weeks upcoming games, not to mention some exposure on TV sports shows .
Results on Saturday nights TV news.
Some help in promoting each club & the Shute Shield , in it's respective community , from the governing bodies.
And the list goes on.
Of course I realise why there is not more (any) voluntary coverage in the media .
It's no doubt related to the fact that there is not enough perceived public interest (The chicken & egg question )
Given that this is the current situation then , does it not behove the ARU & NSWRU to spend some money to attempt to remedy it , e.g. BUY some coverage ,BUY some promotion ?
Or does the apparent lack of public interest simply reflect the same lack of genuine interest shown by Rugby's governing bodies ?
Does anyone care ?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Fair enough Lily, I just saw a few terms you used in your post and jumped to conclusion. I think my point still stands, but the sentiments are probably a bit much. My apologies.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
The reason for the poor crowd was lack of promotion of the Grand final , lack of promotion of Club Rugby in general ,(see my post above ) , & the fact that most people saw the result as a foregone conclusion .
This is likely to persist in the future , because nothing is being done to change the situation .
The ultimate consequences for Rugby should be obvious to all.

Cyril Towers (30)
The reason for the poor crowd was lack of promotion of the Grand final , lack of promotion of Club Rugby in general ,(see my post above ) , & the fact that most people saw the result as a foregone conclusion .
This is likely to persist in the future , because nothing is being done to change the situation .
The ultimate consequences for Rugby should be obvious to all.

And it was cold and raining and there was an AFL grand final reply on at the same time and it was at Concord.

P

Parra GM

And it was cold and raining and there was an AFL grand final reply on at the same time and it was at Concord.

Topo, Concord is a great venue for club grand finals. I believe the AFL replay is just an excuse. The rain would've kept a few away though agreed but I think CarlUnger nailed it. Uni v Randwick II with a foregone conclusion. And thats the whole problem. Its the evidence that nothing is being done to even the comp and remove the dominance.

As previously mentioned, imagine if that happened in the nrl? The clubs play the entire competition with their usual players and then 6 weeks out from grand final a whole new comp starts coz the elite players then join the comp.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The difference is that the NRL is the peak competition for league in this country, the Shute Shield is not for union. Just like the WAFL/SANFL/VFL for Aussie Rules, the SS is like it or not a feeder competition for the rest of the code. I guess you could ban players coming back from Super or test rugby from playing in finals or even in home and away matches, but I'm not sure how fair that is either.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Sure Topo , those factors played a big part in the crowd numbers , otherwise they would have drawn at least 6 -7,000 .
Have you ever been to a grand final at the SFS , with a crowd of 9 or 10.000 in a stadium of about 46,000 capacity ?
Great atmosphere.
I reiterate , that most people who follow Rugby anticipated a one sided game (final score 46-6 ) , & that for years club Rugby has received little , if any promotion , not only at grand final time , when it's too late anyway , but
right throughout the year.
How many people outside of the Rugby die hards even knew that the game was on ?
To me , it's a disgrace , & a recipe for the ultimate relegation of the code to irrelevance .
Will things be any different this year ? Will the competition receive the exposure it needs & deserves , will the finals
be any less predictable ?
I don't think so .

P

Parra GM

Sure those factors played a big part in the crowd numbers , otherwise they would have drawn at least 6 -7,000 .
Have you ever been to a grand final at the SFS , with a crowd of 9 or 10.000 in a stadium of about 46,000 capacity ?
Great atmosphere.
I reiterate , that most people who follow Rugby anticipated a one sided game (final score 46-6 ) , & that for years club Rugby has received little , if any promotion , not only at grand final time , when it's too late anyway , but right
throughout the year.
How many people outside of the Rugby die hards even knew that the game was on ?
To me , it's a disgrace , & a recipe for the ultimate relegation of the code to irrelevance .
Will things be any different this year ?
I don't think so .

No it wont. The problem the code has had is that the entire game went from amateur to shamateur to professional. And the governing unions threw money at the top end...........the rep program. And now we have this wonderful competition called Super Rugby that starts while the Sheffield Shield still hasnt been decided and is over by the end of May. Super 15 will change it.....but again its top end change. Serious investment needs to happen at Shute Shield/Brisbane Comp level. Brown Hornet mentioned NRL is leagues peak competition............he is only half right there. Its leagues peak club competition. They still have Origin as the peak with the joke Four Nations stuff in there somewhere too. As far as club comps goes, rugby is still stuck in the amateur days of pre-war competition. Something needs to be done at club level or the grassroots will whither and die from no sunshine

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
PGM. Club vs Rep duty is an entirely different kettle of fish. The NRL is realistically the best week in week out product that league has to offer. Origin and test footy are brief competitions that are like a whole other season, with comparatively few players involved in each. Super rugby and the NRL are basically analogous in the Australian context.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Thery tried an NPC a couple of years ago and this would have been the rock on which a new era of club rugby could have been built. However "Costs" bought this down.

In todays age and in trying to make a successful and viable club competition in Australia how about bringing in a comp that includes club sides from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne (Perth later comp succeeds).

P

Parra GM

PGM. Club vs Rep duty is an entirely different kettle of fish. The NRL is realistically the best week in week out product that league has to offer. Origin and test footy are brief competitions that are like a whole other season, with comparatively few players involved in each. Super rugby and the NRL are basically analogous in the Australian context.

Its not really club vs rep footy. Its about now investing in the club comp. But seeing JON is on record as saying he believes grass roots is Super rugby...............I dont think its gonna happen anytime soon.

F

F1Fan

Agree - it is going to be very interesting. So, any early takers on naming a top 6 and bottom six after 22 rounds in order. And picking which two teams will contest the GF? We can always reveiw mid-sesaon - lol. Go on, be brave.

I think Uni and Randwick will just scrape into the semi's coz their superstars arent back til July and their Wallabies prob wont be back. Parra to be the bolter with Gordon and Harbour to be the big disappointments. Southern Districts to win the minor premiership by a big distance and Eastwood to continue to show their class.................they were ROBBED last year.

1. Southern Districts
2. Eastwood
3. Manly
4. Easts
5. Randwick
6. Uni
7. Parra
8. Norths
9. Warringah
10. West Harbour
11. Gordon
12. Penrith

Grand Final - Southern Districts v Eastwood before a crowd of 25000 at the SFS

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm sorry to add this as this forum sometimes is a 2blue love in. They will continue to suck for at least another year until they can rebuild. Let's remember a club consists of 3 colts and 4 grade teams. They will struggle not to finish last in this and the 1st grade comp. Who have they got at fly half? Who is their dominant openside flanker? Who is going to be their tight 5?
They will continue to struggle.

H

HappyHC

Very valid points - it is a long road back from where they are coming from.

X

xmarksthespot

I agree that they will still be towards the bottom of the table but they def won't 'suck'. Will knowck off som e teams this year. Agree tho with whose directing around paddock at 10?. Have had reasonable backrow though...mainly set piece and midfield rubbish over last few years.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Uni and Randwick will just scrape into the semi's coz their superstars arent back til July and their Wallabies prob wont be back. Parra to be the bolter with Gordon and Harbour to be the big disappointments. Southern Districts to win the minor premiership by a big distance and Eastwood to continue to show their class.................they were ROBBED last year.

1. Southern Districts
2. Eastwood
3. Manly
4. Easts
5. Randwick
6. Uni
7. Parra
8. Norths
9. Warringah
10. West Harbour
11. Gordon
12. Penrith

Grand Final - Southern Districts v Eastwood before a crowd of 25000 at the SFS

Don't know that Penrith will finish last. Heard from some mates up there that Matt Briggs is staying on as coach after winning Shute Shield coach of the year in 2010. They were very competitive last year and had their best year since 1999 when Scotty Johnson coached them. Co-incidently he also won coach of the year then. Always a very, very tough game out there and they were probably unlucky not to win a couple more very close games last year. I'd expect they've been able to add some more good recruits after such a positive season for them.

F

F1Fan

Their good backrow which included Vinney Paulo and Junior T'oo played for Penrith last year. I hope your next post is a little bit more educated. I was at Manly Oval last year when the Marlins put a hundred on them. Maile Latukefu is talented but dude this isn't sportal. I'd maybe fact check before posting. I'm sorry if this seems harsh but you will get picked up on any mistake. Also welcome X.

Mail is one of the players you mentioned is back. The 10 will be an issue though.

Status
Not open for further replies.