• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Alex Ross (28)
Exercising twice in three weeks...if only...I wish for. For me it has been about three times in 6 months....

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Exercising twice in three weeks...if only...I wish for. For me it has been about three times in 6 months....

Yeah, but you aren't 16 and probably don't still play. Don't make excuses for him!

Ah well, I've been appointed an assistant rugger coach of his year level for the rest of the season. I'll get some work rate into them.

Elfster

Alex Ross (28)
Well I don't play at the moment, but still dream of making a comeback. Especially now that I am too old, too slow for refereeing!!

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Well I don't play at the moment, but still dream of making a comeback. Especially now that I am too old, too slow for refereeing!!

Dont discount it. I have a considerable number of both years and kgs under my belt. I did my refs course a few weeks back and had my first match yesterday, the giddy heights of an Under 10 B game. I was actually quite nervous, looking after a bunch of ankle biters is not something that I am used to, not having kids myself. I was also thinking the standard of rugby would be a bit ordinary and it would basically be a bunch of kids all chasing the ball around. How wrong I was. The guys were a pleasure to ref and the standard was fantastic. Phase play, cleanout of the rucks, maul after maul with the piggies working overtime to drive the ball forward, hard committed tackling - many areas a certain national team could improve on!! It also taught me a lot about refereeing. Its very easy to chirp away at Sir when you're playing and of course we are all the greatest refs on earth when watching the game. However, when you're in control on the pitch, running your proper lines, looking at the various offside lines, checking the gate entry, making sure there's no hands in the rucks etc etc there's a helluva lot to think about. Needless to say, I was of course outstanding and didnt make a single error........

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Dont discount it. I have a considerable number of both years and kgs under my belt. I did my refs course a few weeks back and had my first match yesterday, the giddy heights of an Under 10 B game. I was actually quite nervous, looking after a bunch of ankle biters is not something that I am used to not having kids myself. I was also thinking the standard of rugby would be a bit ordinary and it would basically be a bunch of kids all chasing the ball around. How wrong I was. They guys were a pleasure to ref and the standard was fantastic. Phase play, cleanout of the rucks, maul after maul with the piggies working overtime to drive the ball forward, hard committed tackling - many areas a certain national team could improve on!! It also taught me a lot about refereeing. Its very easy to chirp away at Sir when you're playing and of course we are all the greatest refs on earth when watching the game. However, when you're in control on the pitch, running your proper lines, looking at the various offside lines, checking the gate entry, making sure there's no hands in the rucks etc etc there's a helluva lot to think about. Needless to say, I was of course outstanding and didnt make a single error........

I've often wondered about kids rugby and whether it was like kids soccer (huge packs of beasts stampeding around trying to get the ball).

I have a theory that the lower the quality of players playing the more entertaining the game (to a point, of course; not an exponential decline). Shute Shield games will usually be about 10X more exciting than an international.

Elfster

Alex Ross (28)
I agree that some of the better games could be at the bottom end of the scale. And I am not talking about my referreeing when I often managed to combine 4 to 5 different years of laws into one game ( to the confusion of all....) or even get mixed up over some of the less arcane aspects of the game: like who was supposed to be kicking off for the second half. At the lower levels the spirit of the game was more obvious and prevalent. At higher levels the game was more about winning and teams often carried that through with a determined cynicism and reckless intent: often against the spirit of the game. Though that said some of the better games as spectacle were the higer level school boy games. And even the Shute Shield (or those televised by the ABC) have improved considerably in recent years.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
What has happened to the Hobbits?

The Shute Shield website tells me that the Emu's beat them yesterday. Match report anyone?

Emu's back up from a draw with the Two Blues by beating early competition leaders.

To quote Fitzy "Gotta love this city".

Des

Bob McCowan (2)
I went along to have a look at the Rats v Uni game and liked what I saw about Uni's game. Jerry had a good game making some big hits and back to his best ball running. Hux kicked well and although a couple of small blemishes played quite soundly. Winger Trist has played really well in his last three or so games and with his 100th try for Uni yesterday continues his march up the try scoring ladder. Will they march on is anybody's guess? One smarty is crowing that they won't be beaten again this year......
The Rats - apart from a couple of tries up the middle and Robinson crunchers really weren't allowed into the game.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Great win for the Highlanders yesterday as well over Pirates. I think young Lindommer must have gone into hiding.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Riddler, where have you been? I was expecting you long before this!

After celebrating the Highlanders win, watching the Wallabies game, sleeping and then reffing a couple of junior games this morning (geez those young fellas are good), this was the first chance I got.

Nice to know I was missed :D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
What has happened to the Hobbits?

The Shute Shield website tells me that the Emu's beat them yesterday. Match report anyone?

Emu's back up from a draw with the Two Blues by beating early competition leaders.

To quote Fitzy "Gotta love this city".

From the Herald:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...o-stun-southern-districts-20100725-10qmk.html
Penrith produce 'upset of the decade' to stun Southern Districts
DANIEL LEWIS
July 26, 2010
EARLIER this season, when his Southern Districts were flying high on a 10-game winning streak, coach Darren Bray predicted lowly Penrith would cause some top sides trouble.

It turned out that one of those sides would be Bray's Hobbits, who fell to Penrith 45-41 in the upset of the season at Nepean Rugby Park on Saturday.

Penrith coach Matt Briggs said: ''A couple of the board members said it's not just the upset of the season, it's the upset of the decade. They're pretty chuffed about it. The guys played really hard, determined rugby. Six months of hard work really culminated in a very good performance. The boys deserved the victory. [Darren Bray] gave us a very big rap. He said, 'You guys were just too skilful and out-enthused us and you'll probably take a few more scalps before the end of the year'. Playing at home we do grow another leg. We've got a fairly passionate crowd that are very supportive and quite vocal.''

Going into the round 15 game, Penrith were second-last on the table and Southern Districts were second after the Hobbits' enjoyed their best start to a Shute Shield competition. Now, however, Southern Districts have lost four of their past five to fall to third behind Manly and Eastwood.

Penrith's previous effort was a 17-17 draw against last-placed Parramatta - a team that had been on a 28-game losing streak. But Briggs stressed that Parramatta had ''come out all guns blazing'' in that match and the result was not an indication his side had played poorly. Penrith now boast four victories and a draw this season.

In his first season as a head coach after assisting Brian Melrose at Eastwood last year, Briggs said: ''I didn't realise how daunting the task was going to be because we really didn't have too many players left over from last year. We've really built a new club this year and the players have responded very well.''

Having Elvis Levi back as hooker made a huge difference. ''His lineout throwing was excellent and he played an outstanding match throughout,'' Briggs said.

But once again Briggs thought his best player was No.8 Vili Napa'a who ''had a blinder'', giving the side ''a lot of go-forward''.

''I don't think Souths played poorly at all,'' Briggs said. ''We won it at the breakdown, at the ruck and maul, and I think we just physically dominated them.''

When Southern Districts and Penrith met at Forshaw Rugby Park in round four, it was a 40-13 victory to the Hobbits.

Other coaches had predicted that Southern Districts would be brought down a few notches once the Super 14 season ended and other clubs were able to field much stronger sides. But Penrith boast no big-name talent, while the Hobbits had the Super signings of second-rower Kane Douglas, outside-centre Brackin Karauria-Henry and prop Nic Henderson.

Briggs believes, however, that Levi and Napa'a have the talent to earn Super rugby contracts.

''I think they're more than capable of playing at the next level,'' he said.

Penrith and Southern Districts scored six tries apiece, but superior kicking from Tawhiri Walsh and Gavin Duncan got the Emus over the line after Penrith led 24-19 at half-time. Briggs has no doubt the Hobbits will turn things around.

Eastwood and Eastern Suburbs also played a thriller at TG Millner Field, where Eastwood claimed a 44-37 victory after Lachie Turner snatched an intercept try after the bell to break a 37-37 deadlock.

Eastwood and Southern Districts w
ere the only teams to change position on the ladder. Eastwood are second to Manly by three points after the Marlins defeated Northern Suburbs 28-12 at Manly Oval.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Great win for the Highlanders yesterday as well over Pirates. I think young Lindommer must have gone into hiding.

Fantastic win by the Pirates Colts IIIs, inflicted Gordon's first defeat of the season. Pirates Colts Is too good for Gordon, although Gordon did score an excellent length-of-the-field try at the death and then knocked over the conversion from the sideline to earn a bonus point.

TR, I'm always at Colts and don't have my pulse on goings-on at grade as you do. But well played in First Grade, Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.