• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Rokobaro will be better for the experience in first grade, have heard good things about him maybe just needs a bit of time and experience.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
How did Dion Berryman go Riddler?

Sat next to his brother and GF yesterday. His brother is a Leaguie and was perplexed by a lot of the inane play from Gordon (but then again so were most of us rugger buggers). Dion seemed to go OK with what little ball he had. With better service and support from his centres, think he'll do alright.

Scott Sutherland is playing 4th Grade!

I'm sure ThatGuy will correct me if I'm wrong but I cant recall seeing Sutherland on the team sheet yesterday and mentioned it to my friend. From what little I have seen of him (and admittedly that isnt a great deal) I would say he is a better player than the Dud for someone of the same sort of size.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Sat next to his brother and GF yesterday. His brother is a Leaguie and was perplexed by a lot of the inane play from Gordon (but then again so were most of us rugger buggers). Dion seemed to go OK with what little ball he had. With better service and support from his centres, think he'll do alright.

I'm sure ThatGuy will correct me if I'm wrong but I cant recall seeing Sutherland on the team sheet yesterday and mentioned it to my friend. From what little I have seen of him (and admittedly that isnt a great deal) I would say he is a better player than the Dud for someone of the same sort of size.

You are correct - Sutherland was dropped for some bizarre reason (for a pair of last years 1st colts players) from 3rd grade to 4th grade. The 2nd grade coaching staff have shown shown no interest in playing him or giving him a run off the bench. After being dropped, Sutherland left training - stating he had travelled halfway across the world to play 1st grade. I do sympathise with him, he's not here to play lower grades and the club would have made some verbal promises they haven't kept. As a result I think we have seen the last of Scott Sutherland in Gordon colours.

I only watched the first 20 minutes of 1st grade yesterday. This year is turning out to be very frustrating. Until the last 2 weeks at least they were in the games, 2 draws and a 1 point loss to easts - if they had gone the other way it would look very different to what it does. Having said that the last 2 weeks have been bad. For some reason first grade just isn't clicking. I think most of the problems are in the backline and are due to size and the lack of a any players willing to straighten the attack. If you watch all of our backs there first move is across the field. If I was Rossco I would look at giving Luke Duncan a run at 12, he's a hard direct runner who has performed consistently in 2s for a number of years.

I don't think the problems they are having at the moment are terminal, the rest of the grades are still performing well so the player depth is there, 2s and 3s are third and the mighty 4s are top of the table (mind you a few of the other teams have a game or 2 in hand).

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
That is really sad. WTF is going on at the club? Are there behind the scenes political struggles that are having their affect on the team? I was there early yesterday and it was interesting to watch the various reserve and 1st grade players and watch their interactions and body language. It all seemed very faux and staged, I did not spot the camaraderie of a true team, more a collection of individuals who all think they are fantastic and the problems are everyone else's fault. What input are the board having? Is the President making an appearance at training and showing his commitment?

I went back and looked at my program and spotted Sutherland in the 4ths and couldnt believe it. What's the point of brining him all the way over here and then not using him? Either he must have a really bad attitude and wind his team mates up or something more sinister is afoot?

Tope, would welcome your thoughts of what you saw from the Gordon boys, in particular the Dud? Am I being overly harsh (again) or is the guy a fraud? If so, why are so many backing him?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Three weeks ago the Pirates cleaned up Manly (running second) in every grade. Two weeks ago the Pirates beat Sydney Uni in five out of seven games, losing the lowest two, 2nd and 3rd Colts. Last week the buggers lost to Penrith. Yesterday those magnificent men cleaned up Randwick but the 1st Colts suffered their first defeat of the season.

This year's proving to be a bumpy ride.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
That is really sad. WTF is going on at the club? Are there behind the scenes political struggles that are having their affect on the team? I was there early yesterday and it was interesting to watch the various reserve and 1st grade players and watch their interactions and body language. It all seemed very faux and staged, I did not spot the camaraderie of a true team, more a collection of individuals who all think they are fantastic and the problems are everyone else's fault. What input are the board having? Is the President making an appearance at training and showing his commitment?

I went back and looked at my program and spotted Sutherland in the 4ths and couldnt believe it. What's the point of brining him all the way over here and then not using him? Either he must have a really bad attitude and wind his team mates up or something more sinister is afoot?

Tope, would welcome your thoughts of what you saw from the Gordon boys, in particular the Dud? Am I being overly harsh (again) or is the guy a fraud? If so, why are so many backing him?

The only real rift I have noticed is between the new guys at the club and the old first graders. The old established first graders feel threatened by their presence. A lot of last years first graders are uncomfortable with the more flexible selection policy this year. They don't like the fact they could get dropped, under Fear most of the players were secure in their positions. Probably one of Rossco's weaknesses is he is not as close to the players as Fear was but then again I always felt Fear was too good a mate to a number of the players. I think Rossco is trying make a cultural change in terms of being more of a club than isolating 1st grade and some of the players aren't taking to it.

The president Graham Boyle is down at every training session and is actively involved in the selection meetings.

No problem with Sutherland's attitude, nice bloke off the field and trained the house down. A few of the higher grade players (and coaches) just wouldn't give him the time of day.

Actually whilst thinking about the backline again I hope Sai Vakarau, the fullback in 2s, gets a run in 1st grade at some stage. He's a young bloke, only 20, which we had in 4th grade for most of last year. Very skillful player - can kick the ball further than Harvey, fast off the mark, good passing game - holds the ball in one hand, and is big enough to play in the loose forwards. He's very much a confidence player and if managed well could have a real impact in first grade. Played very well in 2nd grade yesterday.

Cyril Towers (30)

Sorry Riddler, been away from my computer for a while and then trying to sort out the new look of this place.
I must admit, I'm pretty bad at watching the other team as I am usually concentrating on my boys. However, I did keep an eye out for Dud and I agree with you, he didn't do much. I suspect he is one of those big units who needs a bit of footy under his belt before he starts to play well. Give him another month before you write him off, but maybe make that month in 2nd grade. I thought Alcock was pretty good as I mentioned and I was pretty impressed with the little ginger half back, pretty courageous under fire a few times. The THP (?Church) gave Tilse some grief particularly in the first half and looks like he knows what he is doing. None of the backs really stood out for mine.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Wednesday, 2 June 2010
NSWRU Media Unit

Teams have been announced for round nine of the 2010 Tooheys New Shute Shield to be played on Saturday 5 June 2010.
Tooheys New Shute Shield
Tooheys New Shute Shield
2010 TOOHEYS NEW SHUTE SHIELD
Round 9 - Saturday 5 June 2010

NORTHERN SUBURBS v SOUTHERN DISTRICTS at North Sydney Oval (3:10pm, ABC TV)
Northern Suburbs: 1. Dave Goulter, 2. Scott Podmore, 3. Nick Lah [c]; 4. Ben Matwijow, 5. Seti Tafua; 6. Alex Harrod, 7. Carlos Blanco, 8. Matt Lamont; 9. Steve Evans, 10. Ben Murray; 11. Anthony Bingham, 12. Chris Moore, 13. James Lew, 14. Gordon Whitehead; 15. Cam Crawford.
Southern Districts: 1. Tetera Faulkner, 2. John Ulugia, 3. Dan Palmer; 4. Radike Samo, 5. Sitaleki Timani; 6. Matt Trouville, 7. Sean Doyle, 8. Ita Vaea; 9. Nathan Sievert, 10. Josh Gamgee [c]; 11. Sisa Waqa, 12. Gareth Morton, 13. Josh Tatupu, 14. Nicky Price; 15. Marshall Milroy.
Referee: Steve Walsh
WEST HARBOUR v PARRAMATTA at Concord Oval (3:00pm)
West Harbour: 1.George Fifita, 2. Todd Pearce, 3. Vaughan Lomax; 4. Tom Hikila, 5. Sam Wykes; 6. Sione Tau, 7. Mark Porpiglia, 8. Pelea Afu; 9. Jeremy Su'a, 10. Jai Ayoub; 11. Tito Mua, 12. Lester Salanoa, 13. Rory Sidey, 14. Henry Seavula; 15. Nick Reily.
Parramatta: 1.Richard Just, 2. Michael Kline, 3. Tor Killman; 4. Ryan Aniseko, 5. Josh Kron; 6. Sam Evalu, 7. Andrew Cox [c], 8. William Tuitupou; 9. Frankie Paulo, 10. Tom Woods; 11. Junior Tavola, 12. John Fonua, 13. Matt Mua, 14. Moses Tavola; 15. Mark Frost.
Referee: Steve Hardy
EASTWOOD v RANDWICK at T.G. Millner Field (3:00pm)
Eastwood: 1. Simon Norris, 2. Chris Hill, 3. Barry Fa'amuasili; 4. Tom Alexander, 5. Ben Hand; 6. Gareth Palamo, 7. Hugh Perrett [c], 8. Jared Hanna; 9. Dave Rimmer, 10. Barney Wood; 11. Nathan Brecht, 12. Sione Piukala, 13. Luke Brecht, 14. John Grant; 15. Ben Batger.
Randwick: 1. Jono Owen, 2. Atonio Halangahu [c], 3. Lotu Taukeiaho; 4. Will Crutchley, 5. Ross Kennedy; 6. Dave Parsons; 7. Seilala Lam, 8. Neil Meyer; 9. Danny Kroll, 10. Brent Kelly; 11. Paul Hannify, 12. Dane Inman, 13. Tim Wright, 14. Dave Dillon; 15. Matt Nethery.
Referee: Stuart Dickinson

GORDON v PENRITH at University Oval No.1 (3:00pm)
Gordon: 1. Travis Church, 2. Ben Whittaker, 3. Marty Plokstys; 4. Hendrik Roodt, 5. Kingsley Seale; 6. Ed Gower [c], 7. Chris Alcock, 8. Jared Barry; 9. Vinnie Byrne, 10. Dave Harvey; 11. Dion Berryman, 12. Josh Whittaker, 13. Dane Haylett-Petty, 14. Terry Preston; 15. Mark Preston.
Penrith: 1. Dave Coventry, 2. Elvis Levi, 3. Toa Asa; 4. Johnny Smith, 5. Sione Tonga; 6. Junior To'o, 7. Winney Paulo, 8. Vili Napa'a; 9. Aaron Mattin, 10. Gavin Duncan; 11. Stan Tuionuku, 12. Luke Cross [c], 13. Albert Hopoate, 14. Filipo Toala; 15. Leon Bott.
Referee: Richard Goswell

MANLY v SYDNEY UNIVERSITY at Woollahra Oval (3:00pm)
Manly: 1. Eddie Aholelei, 2. Elvis Taione, 3. Tim Fairbrother; 4. Dylan Sigg, 5. Cadeyrn Neville; 6. Tevita Metuisela, 7. Will Brame [c], 8. Marlon Solofuti; 9. Chris Cottee, 10. Ben Seymour; 11. Lui Siale, 12. Tyrone Smith, 13. John Payne, 14. Luke Johnson; 15. Adam D'Arcy.
Sydney University: 1. Jeremy Tilse, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Paddy Ryan; 4. Sam Carter, 5. Dave McDuling; 6. Dave Dennis, 7. Trent Dyer, 8. Tim Davidson; 9. Eddie Bredenhann, 10. Daniel Halangahu; 11. Lachie Mitchell, 12. Tom Carter [c], 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Nathan Trist; 15. Julian Huxley.
Referee: James Leckie
WARRINGAH v EASTERN SUBURBS at Pittwater Rugby Park (3:00pm)
Warringah: 1. Dan Raymond, 2. Luke Holmes, 3. Dan Barnard; 4. Brent Murphy, 5. Tom Hockings; 6. Beau Robinson, 7. Michael Lipman [c], 8. Trevor Richardson; 9. Josh Holmes, 10. Brett Sheehan; 11. Dylan Smouha, 12. Sam Harris, 13. Haig Sare, 14. Joelin Rapana; 15. Pat McCabe.
Eastern Suburbs: 1. Ofa Fainga'anuku, 2. Jessie Davidson, 3. Guy Shepherdson; 4. Ed Brenac, 5. Matt McGann; 6. Fergus Dorney, 7. Will Brock, 8. Jordan Brown; 9. Brendan McKibbin, 10. Ben Ward; 11. Anton Lavin, 12. Tim Corcoran, 13. Lloyd Jones, 14. Gavin Debartolo; 15. Patrick Smith.
Referee: Angus Gardner

REPRESENTATIVE PLAYERS FEATURED THIS ROUND
HSBC Waratahs: Dan Palmer (Southern Districts), Rory Sidey (West Harbour), Hendrik Roodt (Gordon), Chris Alcock (Gordon), Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University), Dave Dennis (Sydney University), Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), Tom Carter (Sydney University), Josh Holmes (Warringah)
HSBC Junior Waratahs (Professional): Adam D'Arcy (Manly), Paddy Ryan (Sydney University), Ofa Fainga'anuku (Eastern Suburbs), Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
Brumbies: Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts), Ben Hand (Eastwood), Tyrone Smith (Manly), Julian Huxley (Sydney University), Pat McCabe (Warringah), Guy Shepherdson (Eastern Suburbs)
Queensland Reds: Radike Samo (Southern Districts)
Western Force: Josh Tatupu (Southern Districts), Sam Wykes (West Harbour), Ben Whittaker (Gordon), Dane Haylett-Petty (Gordon), Tim Fairbrother (Manly), Mark Swanepoel (Manly, reserve), Nathan Charles (Sydney University), Mitch Inman (Sydney University), Tom Hockings (Warringah), Brett Sheehan (Warringah), Sam Harris (Warringah), Haig Sare (Warringah), Joelin Rapana (Warringah)

Looks like Warringah have grabbed the services of Tom Hockings. TG have Sully and Peseta been dropped or injured? When are some of the 1st Graders/2nd Graders coming back from injury?

Cyril Towers (30)
Manly and Uni looks like a cracker. Particularly the battle up front and in the centres.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Not surprised at Vinne coming back at 9 for Gordon. As well as Tom Sully has played there, Vinnie seemed to add a little something when he came on last week. Maybe a few weeks in reserve grade has done what it was probably meant to, i.e. get some of the hunger and passion back.

Very disappointed to see The Dud still in firsts but very excited to see Jared Barry at No.8. This is it Jared - dont let me down!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
it probably means a return to australia if he is offered a contract. the force are in the most dire front rower need right now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Uni will start their role to the semis this week in earnest, their side for this week ..................

Sydney University:
1. Jeremy Tilse,
2. Nathan Charles,
3. Paddy Ryan;
4. Sam Carter,
5. Dave McDuling;
6. Dave Dennis,
7. Trent Dyer,
8. Tim Davidson;
9. Eddie Bredenhann,
10. Daniel Halangahu;
11. Lachie Mitchell,
12. Tom Carter [c],
13. Mitch Inman,
14. Nathan Trist;
15. Julian Huxley.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sydney University:
1. Jeremy Tilse,
2. Nathan Charles,
3. Paddy Ryan;
4. Sam Carter,
5. Dave McDuling;
6. Dave Dennis,
7. Trent Dyer,
8. Tim Davidson;
9. Eddie Bredenhann,
10. Daniel Halangahu;
11. Lachie Mitchell,
12. Tom Carter [c],
13. Mitch Inman,
14. Nathan Trist;
15. Julian Huxley.

Interesting. I knew he was a big player in the Uni team, but I didn't think he was Captain calibre. Good to see, I guess.

Cyril Towers (30)
Great choice as captain. He is as passionate a player as any in this comp and has a huge amount of respect in the club. Davo is the natural choice of course, but this is his first week back from the Young Yabbies, so he needs to settle in. Both will provide desperately needed experience to this young side.

Status
Not open for further replies.