• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
For those who want to record the ABC game, come on down to Chatswood Oval to hopefully see Gordon get their second win of the season against Para and grab yourself a steak sandwich from the mighty Stags BBQ. Gordon still persisting with Dave Harvey at 10 despite his consistent blunders. Interesting to see my mate Barry at 4 and Tuali at 6. Think that is a good setup. McDougall also named ahead of Preston.

I like the look of that side, much more balanced than some of that have run out in the tartan this year. Surely we can't lose to Parra...

On Harvey, his goal kicking is seen as irreplaceable. In the selection meetings it has been commonly thought to be worth 15-20 points to the team. So until there is a legitimate option for this area his place will never be questioned. Mind you I don't think Alex Gluth's (the hooker / prop) goal kicking was looking too bad in 2nd grade before I left.

Also good to see MacDougall in there - Preston Jnr doesn't offer enough on attack and has had been shown up defensively at times this year, I still think he's a better halfback than a winger...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Second Grade
John Morellato
Ben Roberts
Paddy Ryan
Anthony Pohlen
Hugh Hawkins
Trent Dyer
Jono Jenkins
Sam Hosking
Matt Schwager
Justin Bosilkovski
Lachlan Rosengreen
Dan Kelly
Jeremy Atkin
Julian James
Josh Dillon

Does any of the Uni tragic know how Lachlan Rosengreen is playing? He was on the wing for U19s we won a while ago and looked good

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
On Harvey, his goal kicking is seen as irreplaceable. In the selection meetings it has been commonly thought to be worth 15-20 points to the team.

Considering that Gordon are averaging only 17.3 points per game the selectors must think the rest of the team are absolute crap.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Eastwood with the upset win, 46-29 over the previously undefeated Southern Districts.

Southern didn't show up. Eastwood executed very well in attack and their centre combo of Piukala and Lachlan Turner were lethal.

Reactions: DPK

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Eastwood with the upset win, 46-29 over the previously undefeated Southern Districts.

Southern didn't show up. Eastwood executed very well in attack and their centre combo of Piukala and Lachlan Turner were lethal.

I thought Perrett (Eastwood 7) had a blinder, on the other hand I thought Samo (Southern 6) and Gamgee (Southern 10) were pretty average.

Who else went to that game?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Considering that Gordon are averaging only 17.3 points per game the selectors must think the rest of the team are absolute crap.

Very similar sides this season compared to last, only from an outsider supporter of Gordon looking in it looks like Fear got similar player better results and with Fear's results at Easts it can only enhance his reputation.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A truly great performance by the Woodies. How is it that players like Perrett, Stannard, and Tom Alexander are not being ardently pursued?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Perrett always misses out on Super call ups. He's seen to be not Super 14 material - and at 28 now time has probably passed him by. His skills are as a link man and being super quick for a forward - no wonder Bath sometimes played him at 12.

Quite a few teams have dogsbody backrowers like Hugh but they are usually tougher guys than him and he'd be lucky to be 100kgs.

Stannard should be picked up, but if he isn't at least he has had a shot.

How tall is Tom Alexander?

PS - How good was Lachie Turner at outside centre?

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Thankfully Gordon managed to do the business against Parra, whipping them 80-5. As hoped, the forward pack look much better balanced and numerous piggies picked up meat pies. Harvey's kicking was sublime, converting 10 from 12, many of them from the sideline.

Whilst it is good to have the win, you do have to question at what value? Parra really is a severely wounded dog that in most cases would be put down to put it out of its misery. You cant fault the effort and commitment of the players - in fact you have to admire their resolve turning up week after week knowing they are going to get flogged. But wouldnt Parra be better of playing in subbies and redeveloping the club by taking small steps?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
PS - How good was Lachie Turner at outside centre?

Big fish in the little pond versus the Southern outside backs, managed to get on the outside of his man everytime and draw the winger.

At one point in the first half he had touched it 5 times and 4 of them Eastwood scored.

Anyone else notice Palmer played shit and then got subbed at half time?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Thankfully Gordon managed to do the business against Parra, whipping them 80-5. As hoped, the forward pack look much better balanced and numerous piggies picked up meat pies. Harvey's kicking was sublime, converting 9 from 10, many of them from the sideline.

Whilst it is good to have the win, you do have to question at what value? Parra really is a severely wounded dog that in most cases would be put down to put it out of its misery. You cant fault the effort and commitment of the players - in fact you have to admire their resolve turning up week after week knowing they are going to get flogged. But wouldnt Parra be better of playing in subbies and redeveloping the club by taking small steps?

Riddler, still worried about the workrate in the pack. Tuala and Peseta are ball runners with no workrate. Alcock & Gower need to turn up week in week out if we are going to win some games.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone else notice Palmer played shit and then got subbed at half time?

He scrummaged well actually. The commentators said he couldn't continue due to a plantar fasciitis problem. I'm guessing its an ongoing problem for Palmer.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
A truly great performance by the Woodies. How is it that players like Perrett, Stannard, and Tom Alexander are not being ardently pursued?

Because they're handy club players at most ? S14 teams are looking for players with Wallaby potential. The undersized need not apply.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Because they're handy club players at most ? S14 teams are looking for players with Wallaby potential. The undersized need not apply.

Do I detect a little bit of ....errrrrrr......jealousy here? How is Stannard "undersized"? Perrett is big enough for a 7. Frankly, at the moment, I would back Ben Hand and Tom Alexander against the pampered pooches in the Wallaby second row.

R

rugbywhisperer

many clubs are now looking to the development of players as opposed to lifetime loyalty. If you haven't moved upwards to s14 within a reasonable period you tenure is very limited. Pirates have a great development program along these lines and over time it will pay very handsome dividends.

Cyril Towers (30)
Does any of the Uni tragic know how Lachlan Rosengreen is playing? He was on the wing for U19s we won a while ago and looked good

FP, he's been playing wing/fb mainly in 2s for a couple of weeks now. Very quick, and knows where to pop up, a very good player. He is very small though and has had a cruel run with injuries. He came off with about 20 to go yesterday. I am not sure what the problem was but he walked off and looked OK, so hopefully it's not too bad.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
He scrummaged well actually. The commentators said he couldn't continue due to a plantar fasciitis problem. I'm guessing its an ongoing problem for Palmer.

Rubbish. He didn't get dominated, but he was hovering about an inch over the ground in most scrums and was pretty anonymous around the park.

Probably just had one of those days.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Perrett is big enough for a 7.

Yes he is, and he plays 7 in club rugby but he is not a bruiser 7 like the 7s in the Oz S14 teams: Waugh, Pocock, and Braid - or even Hodgson who subbed for Pocock. He's more a linker like Smith, but Smith later in his career became a tough nut also. If he were a harder player he'd be a chance to get a Super15 contract to be a dogsbody backrower to cover injuries, but if he were he would have got a gig a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.