• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sharks v Tahs, round 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd put Horne to 12 to smash Steyn again.

I'd also play Crawford at 14 over Alofa for the kicking game, we're going to need it for the next 2 matches.

Alofa or Betham? I'd play Crawford on one wing and Beale at 15 also, but as to which winger goes out, well its a really tough call. Both are playing very well, Betham is probably a better blindside winger (see his try last week) but Alofa has a magical step that is very hard to stop. I'd probably go with Alofa, but I wouldn't argue either way.

I agree for Horne to terrorise the 10/12 channel. They will have an inexperienced 10 and we need Hooper to terrorise their new 10 with his speed to the ball to force him deeper into the pocket and Horne on Steyn.

I hope we go with Robinson, TPN, Kepu, Douglas, Potgeiter, Hooper, Dennis and Palu. Skelton can come on for Palu after 50-60, with Potgeiter going to 6 and Dennis to 8. If the Sharks can get on top of that pack good luck to them.

My only reservation is the set piece. Scrum and lineout have not looked good all year and from the look of it we will have a young and inexperienced SA ref for what will be a key match in a very difficult location. That could get very ugly; I hope the message about the appearance of objectivity has got through from the machinations of the last few weeks. Pity Joubers has the Bulls/Chiefs game and couldn't have been swapped, but that will be a key game too.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Lambie out for the Shorks (for the season) with a torn bicep

That's going to be really tough for them. Sharks have to finish top two to win the championship and I can see the Bulls or Stormers running them down with a late charge now they don't have an experienced 10 to run their kick-chase.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That's going to be really tough for them. Sharks have to finish top two to win the championship and I can see the Bulls or Stormers running them down with a late charge now they don't have an experienced 10 to run their kick-chase.

Let's see if Zeilinga can step up before we write the Sharks off. Currie Cup player of the season last year. Seems like a very level headed young man. Good goal kicker and likes to take on the line.

I would say the success or failure of the Sharks now rests 100% on his shoulders. Problem for the Sharks is that Steyn is an option at 10 but because of the Jordaan injury they can't move him out of the midfield. They really have been savaged with injuries.

And if you think the Sharks game plan is kick chase you aren't really watching them much. They play bash crash much more than kick chase.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Losing Folau for this game is clearly going to hurt. Whilst we're still able to field an excellent team, Folau is one of the most influential players in world rugby and is essentially irreplaceable.

That said, I think the Sharks have more detrimental injury problems in missing Lambie and Steph du Toit. Their lineout has struggled since Steph du Toit got injured and Lambie will be replaced by a very inexperienced yet talented youngster.

The Sharks lost a few at home last year and are certainly vulnerable. The Tahs will want to win this one if we're going to be a real contender this season.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
You saw that Folau was out right?

HAHA yeah I did, but the Shorks have also lost their scrumhalf, flyhalf and No 5 which is where the cupboard is pretty bare!

I would give Lance a run at 15 and leave the rest as is, he went well there for the Reds and the rest of the team has been playing in their positions for a few weeks now.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Waratahs team

1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (Parramatta)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
4. Jacques Potgieter (Eastern Suburbs)
5. Will Skelton (Sydney University)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University, captain)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
9. Nick Phipps (Sydney University)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Kurtley Beale (Randwick)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
15. Jonno Lance (Eastern Suburbs)

Replacements to be confirmed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A little surprised about the changes. I expected Cheika to go with less changes.

Horne on the wing is an interesting one and hopefully he has the pace to play there. My guess is that he'll defend in the midfield a bit in general play so Beale can lead the counterattack with Folau missing.

Douglas will hopefully provide big impact off the bench in the second half.

Hopefully Cliffy Palu has a massive game in his 100th Super Rugby match and the team lifts for him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Jono Lance is probably the more reliable/safer option at fullback then Beale. But then you lose Kurtley's counter attacking abilities. Would of liked to see Horne at 12, seems strange to have him on the wing.
Still a pretty good team on paper.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Jono Lance is probably the more reliable/safer option at fullback then Beale. But then you lose Kurtley's counter attacking abilities. Would of liked to see Horne at 12, seems strange to have him on the wing.
i Think Beale's reliablitity/ safety at fullback is not really a question...but definitely agree with your comment on Horne...thats a strange one. Beale will spend alot of time at fullback in defence for kick returns which leaves a pretty solid wall up front with Jono,AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Isn't it more a case that the combination of Beale/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is really starting to come on but need more time to gel.

I'm a firm believer that if you get your 12/13 combination solidified and working well, then it has a significant influence on the rest of the backline.

T

Tip

It's going to be hard for the Tahs to beat the Sharks playing JakeWhiteBall. The Brumbies showed that the Tahs are just like any other team - vulnerable when you batter their forwards and the breakdown to deny Foley & Beale quick ball.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Waratahs team

1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (Parramatta)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
4. Jacques Potgieter (Eastern Suburbs)
5. Will Skelton (Sydney University)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University, captain)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
9. Nick Phipps (Sydney University)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Kurtley Beale (Randwick)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
15. Jonno Lance (Eastern Suburbs)

Replacements to be confirmed.

That team is very strange for a host of reasons:
  • Douglas on the bench after winning the player's player award last week. Either he's carrying an injury and the Tahs have kept quiet about it or Cheika is trying to rotate the locks and reduce Kane's workload. Against the comp leaders the second option does not sound rational.
  • Got the front row right!
  • Lance is a good fullback - defensively very strong but lack's Beale's lightning counter-attack. Jono doesn't seem to be the best attacking replacement for the world's best finisher.
  • If they were going to keep Beale at 12 in order to keep the Foley/Beale team together then AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should go to fullback to deal with the Sharks bomb attack, allowing Horne to play 13 and Bread or Crawford to play on the wing.
  • The last time the Tahs under Link put a relatively slow centre up against a quick winger it was a disaster that lost us the game. Worst decision Link ever made as Tahs coach - who could ever forget Morgan Turinui's total embarrassment? With Alofa and Crawford both available, picking Horne on the wing for his maiden start this year against the comp leaders is nuts.
  • That said, if Horne switches over with Betham and plays blind side winger all game he could do enormous damage running through the 10 channel with an inside ball from Foley or Beale.
I hope Cheik is just screwing with Jake's mind and that he'll change it up by Thursday. Still think that team can do the Sharks over, I'm just a bit more nervous than I was before (and I was already pretty nervous).

Status
Not open for further replies.