• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sevens Lead In and Olympics 2024

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
One thing it made me think was the top 15s guys can still dominate 7s when selected. Won't be all of them but the ones with appropriate skill sets can show up and be better than the regular 7s players. Marky couldn't be taken down by the first defender when he ran it. Toole looked threatening every time and Dupont is a video game character.

Could Aus look to release a few others post 2027 WC for the 2028 LA Olympics.
I think the pattern going forward is going to be guys more like Toole where possible - early development time in the 7s and a return for the Olympics. That sets them up to make the most impact on return without needing a massive lead in.

Likely still some exceptions though - I wouldn't be surprised if there was an Olympics carrot to Sua'ali'i's control for example.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Alfred Walker (16)
Talk about keeping the cue in the rack. Caslick didn't get on the field, Smale played the final kick-off and we cycled back and forth through the next group of players.

Certainly brought out the firepower in the quarter final!
I think thats really good thinking, she often looks really tired by the last game. It was good to see terita get thru unscathed. Her shoulder was looking crook in the earlier match, and we need her.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am confused how the quarter final matchups were done.

The quarter finalists were:

Pool A
NZ 9 points, +95 points differential
Canada 7 points, -14
China 5, -19

Pool B
Australia 9, +65
Great Britain 7, -13
Ireland 5, +24

Pool C
France 9, +92
USA 7, +31

Based on that seeding would have been 1. NZ, 2. FRA, 3. AUS, 4. USA, 5. GB, 6. CAN, 7, IRE, 8. CHI

We played Ireland and France played Canada so presumably we were somehow the second seed and France third.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah, easy to gush of Maddi Levi and her Hattrick performance, but Caslick was such a clear difference between that and the pool game. Took our very solid defence and weaponised it with bulk turn overs.

Honestly though, they all look like they're in career best form, an absolute joy to watch.
Add Tegan Levi to the list, she set up her sister for a few.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Pool A
Canada 7 points, -14
China 5, -19

Pool B
Australia 9, +65
Great Britain 7, -13
Ireland 5, +24

Pool C
France 9, +92
USA 7, +31

Based on that seeding would have been 1. NZ, 2. FRA, 3. AUS, 4. USA, 5. GB, 6. CAN, 7, IRE, 8. CHI

We played Ireland and France played Canada so presumably we were somehow the second seed and France third.
It's all pre-ordained based on pool placing, the only two who are placed by seeding are the 7th and 8th overall. So it was set out before the tournament as:

1st pool A vs 8th seed
1st pool B vs 7th seed
1st pool C vs 2nd pool A
2nd pool B vs 2nd pool C

You could see it listed this way on the schedule until the teams were worked out. Not sure how they arrived at that setup, but it was probably a similar process to the pools draw.

Serge

Fred Wood (13)

Pool A
Canada 7 points, -14
China 5, -19

Pool B
Australia 9, +65
Great Britain 7, -13
Ireland 5, +24

Pool C
France 9, +92
USA 7, +31

QFs were predetermined with A1 playiing 2nd best 3rd place, B1 playing best 3rd place, C1 playing B2 and C2 playing B2. Bset 3rd place was Ireland so we ended up playing them twice.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thank you. That makes even more sense as to how much we rested key players in the Ireland pool game. The only way we weren't winning the pool was getting beaten by 31 points.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Alfred Walker (16)
i think the aus v nz girls 7's games seem to often be similar - the oz team misses their chances and the nz team seem to take theirs. The nz team has best wing defence which nullifies a lot of the oz attack. In the last game i think oz missed 2 or 3 opportunities to score in first minute or 2 and ended up with the usual last minute recovery. If they take their chances early it could be a different game to normal. Kiwi's do better at stopping m levi's kickoff retention, so they will probably go the other side using sariah paki which worked better against ireland. Its always a see-sawing game, so its enthralling to watch.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Screenshot-20240730-065706-Instagram.jpg

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
Devastating for the girls, clearly a better team just not on the day it mattered and a game of sevens can get away from you pretty quickly.
I don’t think that last try actually touched the grass but didn’t really matter

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry to say girls but that was a choke. Haven’t been good against physical teams or shown they can win when pressure is on for several years.