• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sevens Lead In and Olympics 2024

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The ref didn't cost us the game but he was very inconsistent.

Canada had the ball at one ruck but he penalised them. Then he penalised them for being offside immediately after when there were no offside lines. THEN he gave them a penalty for us holding on despite the Canadian player being face down in the turf and not supporting their weight.

Same guy who played evensies with our pool game against Ireland

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Poor game plan. One-out in attack.

"Give it to Levi" is great to watch but you can't be a one-trick pony if you want to be the best.

More that you can't win without the ball and if you're going to give up penalties inside your half you're not getting the ball.

Knocking it on inside your 22 isn't ideal.

Maybe a kick through earlier in the game would have changed the defensive alignment but ultimately Canada defended and held their discipline better than us

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
The same thing happened against Ireland in Perth, the teams that slow down the play and take scrums instead of quick taps really seem to frustrate the girls and put time pressure on and then the panic and knock ons come

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Not really - can't win without the ball and if you're going to give up penalties inside your half you're not getting the ball
Have a look at that first half again, Nicholas.

Ball galore. Initial breaks on multiple occasions. One good offload would have all but sealed the game. Support was nowhere. No one there was made available.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Maybe a kick through earlier in the game would have changed the defensive alignment but ultimately Canada defended and held their discipline better than us
I will credit this on Canada's discipline and defence. Their wins against China and France showed it as well (while many may not have rated China, they were better than most expected).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
A couple of lapses gave the game away. No one defending the quick penalty when Charity Williams ran the length of the field untouched and the pill dropped cold in front of our posts when not under pressure. Hats off to the Canadians but a choke for sure.
Our girls will be more disappointed than anyone.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Death, taxes and another tournament with a Levi sister getting sent to the sin bin.

Such a promising start for the team. You'd have to think coming home without a medal wasn't even on the cards for the girls coming into the tournament.

So both our mens and womens finish in the same place, but I think both will feel quite different about the outcome.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Won't lie, I think some of the commentary both on here and in the media is pretty damn poor. I had liked to think GAGR contributors were a bit better than the Daily Mail schadenfreude farmers, but it seems not.

No one will be more disappointed than the girls, as was evident in the post-match scenes. It's just the way sports goes sometimes. Hopefully they've all got good people around them.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Won't lie, I think some of the commentary both on here and in the media is pretty damn poor. I had liked to think GAGR contributors were a bit better than the Daily Mail schadenfreude farmers, but it seems not.

No one will be more disappointed than the girls, as was evident in the post-match scenes. It's just the way sports goes sometimes. Hopefully they've all got good people around them.

I think there are a lot of people in the media who obviously don't understand how volatile 7s is when it comes to scores.

Caslick summed it up in her post-match presser that 'its the way 7s goes'.

Aussie's are a good team and the good teams will nearly always pump the shit ones during the pool stages. It's pretty much a different game once you hit the knockouts and small mistakes will cost the game.

For casual viewers (and there are obviously a lot of them for this tournament) they would see the huge scorelines in the pool stages and wonder what happened.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I think there are a lot of people in the media who obviously don't understand how volatile 7s is when it comes to scores.

Caslick summed it up in her post-match presser that 'its the way 7s goes'.

Aussie's are a good team and the good teams will nearly always pump the shit ones during the pool stages. It's pretty much a different game once you hit the knockouts and small mistakes will cost the game.

For casual viewers (and there are obviously a lot of them for this tournament) they would see the huge scorelines in the pool stages and wonder what happened.
Definitely an element of that, but also just think it's a bit of an easy pile on for rugby / women's sport.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
Yes calling it a choke is harsh, it just didn’t go their way.
I think they could have respected the occasion a bit more though, I know teams don’t regularly kick for goal in sevens but Olympic semi final up 12-0 penalty in front last play of first half just kick a goal and go in 15-0 in front, instead it is 12-7 and game on

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I didn't think about it at the time, but you're right. If they went for the sticks there wouldn't have been the turnover and then the length of the field try. Small margins in these tournaments.

Can't shake the feeling we choked though.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Choke may not be the best term but in both the semi final and the bronze medal match we were seemingly in control and then let the games slip. Sound familiar? It is a mental thing. There is no way the kiwi girls would have let those teams back into the game from that position. It’s a big work on looking forward. Up until that point they were near unbeatable. Maybe they were looking too far ahead? I don’t know. I feel for them as they have worked so hard and surely they are extremely disappointed.
They have had great year.