• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Other than the bench I am disappointed Chek didn't stick with Phipps.

Phipps is much more a team player than Genia and I think his enthusiasm lifts those around him. Reckon he's been hard done by.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Other than the bench I am disappointed Chek didn't stick with Phipps.

Phipps is much more a team player than Genia and I think his enthusiasm lifts those around him. Reckon he's been hard done by.

I'm happy he went with Genia, shows he doesn't give two shits about combinations and picks the best player in form. Which is Genia. He's had 3 or 4 games where he was one of our best.

Phipps has had 2 games where he was solid. Genia is the form halfback no doubt about it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Cheika's favourites.

Skelton is back again after doing nothing to suggest he deserves a spot in the squad let alone the 23.

Happy with the squad. Even Mumm I'm fine with. BUT SKELTON! Can't believe he is still persisting with him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Thought he won a tighthead last week

To me Sio has been scrummaging poorly - seems to put his hand on the ground and hasn't been pinged for it.

Both has struggled at scrum time, Sio has lifted his game around the park though and was superb all-round last season. Slipper has been average last season and still is now.

But yeah, scrum is an issue, Sio getting penalised almost every game.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'm happy he went with Genia, shows he doesn't give two shits about combinations and picks the best player in form. Which is Genia. He's had 3 or 4 games where he was one of our best.

Phipps has had 2 games where he was solid. Genia is the form halfback no doubt about it.

Seb
I agree that individually Genia is a better half than Phipps.

The point I was attempting to make was, value from a team perspective.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pfitzy and I watched Skelton in all the Rams' home games, Willie was very ineffectual. Especially so considering some/most of his opposing locks were club players. Maybe his injury and rehab were hindering him more than we know.

The challenge with those games is that you don't know the fitness load he is under as part of his rehab, he had a lot of catching up to do and it is likely he was being smashed all week with little tappering

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Seb

What do you mean by "value from a team perspective"?

Do you mean Phipps is more of a "team player" then Genia because I don't see it. Genia contributes far more across a wider range of area's (passing, high-ball, play-making, kicking).

Just because he makes individual line breaks doesn't mean he isn't a team player?

Not having a go, just confused where this perspective is coming from?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only logical reason behind the selection of Skelton on the bench is that Cheika is expecting a grinding, physical game in the wet and is looking for a big ball runner late in the match once his starting locks have both run out of steam.

Skelton will need to be accurate, physical and not give away any silly penalties when he gets a run.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Happy with the squad. Even Mumm I'm fine with. BUT SKELTON! Can't believe he is still persisting with him.

Douglas is still not fit enough.

After the big drop in physicality when Simmons came on it is obvious Cheika wants to maintain the physicality when Arnold comes off. Skelton is the answer.
He values that so much the other selection on the bench are there to shore up the lineout.
Skelton is also good at mauls.

With Timani and Coleman also running the ball Scotland will find it harder to team up on Skelton whereas before he was the only big ball acrrier getting over the line.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What do you mean by "value from a team perspective"?

Do you mean Phipps is more of a "team player" then Genia because I don't see it. Genia contributes far more across a wider range of area's (passing, high-ball, play-making, kicking).

Just because he makes individual line breaks doesn't mean he isn't a team player?

Not having a go, just confused where this perspective is coming from?

Seb
It's just my opinion.
I agree that Genia is better individually.
Some players have the ability to lift others around them, whether by playing or enthusiasm. Phipps has some skill deficiencies but so does Genia. His box kicks are horrible ( we lost the English match a few years ago on EOYT because of one culminating in a 7 pointer to England).

Anyway we'll see how it goes on the weekend. (Genia will probably carve 'em up :) )

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Seb

Could you give an example of phipps being a 'team' player and genia not?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Could you give an example of phipps being a 'team' player and genia not?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Not that I adhere to the notion that Phipps deserves a start over Genia as he's "more of a team player" but Genia's been criticised over the years as being very poor at receiving criticism and blaming others when things go wrong (sometimes due to him attempting to overplay his hand).

You have to wonder why he's never corrected his box kicking technique despite being charged down around the clock.

Very fine player regardless and everyone has deficiencies. Apparently George Smith was a terrible trainer and never got over 7 in the beep test (absolutely criminal) as he just couldn't give a fuck.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Pfitzy and I watched Skelton in all the Rams' home games, Willie was very ineffectual. Especially so considering some/most of his opposing locks were club players. Maybe his injury and rehab were hindering him more than we know.

Just as Fardy and Simmons were largely impact-less in the NRC. Except Skelton has the excuse of being genetically predispositioned to weighing 140kg+ when not training and coming off a period where his training capacity was exceptionally limited.

I've seen a few Super rugby players look ordinary at SS level before as well. I think its mainly being dumped in an unfamiliar system with unfamiliar players around you and at the end of the day not really giving a fuck about the outcome as your just killing time and maintaining match fitness before returning to high honours.

Cheika's playing Mumm for his lineout ability, to be subbed if the set piece goes to shit with the limited starting XV, Simmons because he's the next cab off the rank in the 2nd row and Arnold / Coleman are fresh impact players who might not make the full 80 and Skelton because if you have Mumm and Simmons on the field at the same time you need a bit of physicality to compensate.

I can see the logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.