• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
PeterK I think you mistake Cheika's dry style for literalism. His comment about Timani was a compliment, not a get-out.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why do we hate Mumm THIS much? I've never seen him be lazy or get walked over in a tackle he shoud've made. Nor does he seem to be a bad scrummager, and he's certainly not bad in the lineout.

I get that he's not massively physically dominant, but he's no shrieking violet either. He tends to be at least neutral when carrying and generally sticks tackles.

Not advocating for him to start, or that he's anything more than an OKAY test player, but he fills a spot and has the skill set.

Why the hate?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Why do we hate Mumm THIS much? I've never seen him be lazy or get walked over in a tackle. Nor does he seem to be a bad scrummager, and he's certainly not bad in the lineout.

I get that he's not massively physically dominant, but he's no shrieking violet either.

Not advocating for him to start, or that he's anything more than an OKAY test player, but he fills a spot and has the skill set.

Why the hate?

There is no hate here at all. Just don't think he should be in the 23 bar catastrophic injuries. Good Super Rugby player not test.

And if you haven't seen him being lazy etc then u need to watch more carefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Mumm's recent form has been good but he was good last year and strong early in the test season.

I too would have retained Fardy on the bench after last week though where he put in one of his best performances of the year.

I definitely think the debate is skewed quite significantly by the relative appeal of each player. Fardy has been a hugely popular player amongst fans since he came on the scene whilst Mumm has pretty much always been unpopular. Even Waratahs fans were happy to see him go overseas in his previous stint with the team.

When you boil it down there is minimal overall difference to the team considering it is one bench spot with not a whole lot between them.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Fardy's focus on "on ball work" is not as suitable at the moment.

It creates too many penalties and the risk/reward for it has lessened and it appears Cheika wants more counter ruck after a dominant tackle than a team focus on getting their hands on the ball in the ruck

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Cheika's favourites.

Skelton is back again after doing nothing to suggest he deserves a spot in the squad let alone the 23.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Every coach in the history of sport has had their so-called favourites.

I guess he is expecting it to be a physical battle in wet conditions and wants some extra grunt late in the match.

I wouldn't have picked Skelton either but by the same token most of the squad will get a test match on tour and this could be Skelton's.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Slippers omission is noteworthy. He's had a pretty poor season by his standards, but he was actually pretty solid last week. Still i understand the move. Its the right opportunity to give Robertson some more test experience and hopefully it fires up slipper.

Slipper could definitely use and offseason and a reset

I agree, Slipper has done nothing to warrant a spot. Scrum always seems weaker when he is involved.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think Mumm's recent form has been good but he was good last year and strong early in the test season.

I too would have retained Fardy on the bench after last week though where he put in one of his best performances of the year.

I definitely think the debate is skewed quite significantly by the relative appeal of each player. Fardy has been a hugely popular player amongst fans since he came on the scene whilst Mumm has pretty much always been unpopular. Even Waratahs fans were happy to see him go overseas in his previous stint with the team.

When you boil it down there is minimal overall difference to the team considering it is one bench spot with not a whole lot between them.

You're on the money here, and who doesn't love Fards. He's a angry mofo with a beard who cracked the test scene out of nowhere. Whereas Mumm has that 'feeling' of another Sydney Uni boy.

HOWEVER, what's telling here is the disconnect between professional/community opinions. Mumm is always popular in professional scenes - proven by the fact he's picked at test level and that he was captain of a pretty handy Exeter team. This would suggest to me that he's a good communicator, good person, and that his GPS data and stats from trainings/games probably read well.

Many fans (not just on this thread or G&G) seem to think Cheika is on an island in loving Mumm, but he's not the sole selector nor is this the first program to get around Mumm.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cheika's favourites.

Skelton is back again after doing nothing to suggest he deserves a spot in the squad let alone the 23.

Nah you're completely right. Skelton's coming back from a pretty big injury for a pretty big man (developing fitness takes longer) and hasn't played much footy.

Only place he's had to prove himself to the national coach is the extensive training camps they've had over the EOYT and RC season where a direct comparison to other lock options can be obtained.

But we weren't there so from what I can tell he's done absolutely nothing.

Favouritism or something folks grab the pitchies and practice speaking in a slur ("dey tek er jerbs").

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why do we hate Mumm THIS much? I've never seen him be lazy or get walked over in a tackle he shoud've made. Nor does he seem to be a bad scrummager, and he's certainly not bad in the lineout.

I get that he's not massively physically dominant, but he's no shrieking violet either. He tends to be at least neutral when carrying and generally sticks tackles.

Why the hate?

I trust this video works

https://www.facebook.com/greenandgoldrugby/videos/10154594734684282/

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
PeterK I think you mistake Cheika's dry style for literalism. His comment about Timani was a compliment, not a get-out.

I know it is a compliment in that he says Timani is playing very well forcing him to pick him.

However he stated he was looking at getting Mumm in the side and just couldn't.

So his first preference is Mumm to start, only great form will keep him out.
So if Timani only has a good game the very average Mumm will push him out.

Until I read that Cheika says Mumm has to play very well to force himself into the starting team I won't change my mind. It seems everyone else has to play great but not Mumm.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Skelton..... Only place he's had to prove himself to the national coach is the extensive training camps they've had over the EOYT and RC and the NRC seasons where a direct comparison to other lock options can be obtained.

But we weren't there so from what I can tell he's done absolutely nothing.

Pfitzy and I watched Skelton in all the Rams' home games, Willie was very ineffectual. Especially so considering some/most of his opposing locks were club players. Maybe his injury and rehab were hindering him more than we know.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I agree, Slipper has done nothing to warrant a spot. Scrum always seems weaker when he is involved.

Thought he won a tighthead last week

To me Sio has been scrummaging poorly - seems to put his hand on the ground and hasn't been pinged for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.