• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
<snip>
Suggestions about how to manage sporting scholarships miss the mark: some of the schools don't want them - that's what prompted the ban on them in the first place!

Interesting point. Which schools are opposed, which are in breach, which are neutral? What does the majority want/practice?

TAS - Neutral
NEW - Ardent Him Talks amendment supporters
View - Occasional Him Talks amendment supporters
Joeys - Occasional Him Talks amendment supporters
Shore - Opposed
Grammar - Opposed
High - Neutral
Scots - World domination by whatever means
TKS - Him Talks amendment supporters

2 Opposed
2 Neutral
2 Rather grey
3 regular breach

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
I have suggested the GPS overall (eg non-rugby) fabric could be irrevocably harmed if it didnt support a divisionalised CAS/GPS/ISA rugbycomp. That is now playing out. Organisations such as GPS Rugby need a common underlying set of principles and a duty of fidelity to each other to survive. That is gone.

The effect of issues of money and distrust creeping in are apparent from the ARL/Superleague dispute and its detriment to League, where the underlying ethic of volunteering and community service to that game were almost destroyed.

Move on, and create a structure where the super schools (for whatever reason) and the minnows cant get back to playing competitive enjoyable rugby at their respective levels immediately.

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
I have suggested the GPS overall (eg non-rugby) fabric could be irrevocably harmed if it didnt support a divisionalised CAS/GPS/ISA rugbycomp. That is now playing out. Organisations such as GPS Rugby need a common underlying set of principles and a duty of fidelity to each other to survive. That is gone.

The effect of issues of money and distrust creeping in are apparent from the ARL/Superleague dispute and its detriment to League, where the underlying ethic of volunteering and community service to that game were almost destroyed.

Move on, and create a structure where the super schools (for whatever reason) and the minnows cant get back to playing competitive enjoyable rugby at their respective levels immediately.

Here. here. No blame, no bad blood... just newly configured rugby competitions between schools sharing the common outlooks.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I've always thought that there should be regional division schools rugby in term 2 and then GPS/CAS/ISA whatever in term 3.

Longer season and fairer criteria for rep selection.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Interesting point. Which schools are opposed, which are in breach, which are neutral? What does the majority want/practice?

TAS - Neutral
NEW - Ardent Him Talks amendment supporters
View - Occasional Him Talks amendment supporters
Joeys - Occasional Him Talks amendment supporters
Shore - Opposed
Grammar - Opposed
High - Neutral
Scots - World domination by whatever means
TKS - Him Talks amendment supporters

2 Opposed
2 Neutral
2 Rather grey
3 regular breach
This would only be relevant if it was a non-voluntary association.
some schools make their decision and then Old Fella's & Observer's model takes over.
But be careful what you wish for - even now the division 27 private schools to 3 state schools in the Oz schools touring team is a sign of trouble to come in senior rugby both in participant and interest levels, IMO.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ But wait there is more with 3 non-Government schools being 1 Selective Sports School in NSW, 1 in ACT and 1 in Victoria.

No non-Government Schools from Queensland.

No NSW representatives from Schools outside Sydney.
One Queensland representative from a school outside Brisbane Metro (Including Gold Coast and Ipswich in Metro).

A broad based pyramid?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
@Inside Shoulder, I think he is not denying anything. He is just claiming that NEW has one of the finest rugby programmes in the AAGPS, and that there will be lots of rugby photos on their facebook pages, and that if he was on a sporting scholarship at NEW he would be telling all and sundry.

He wonders if they would be so open about being on a sporting scholarship if those boys in question had been induced to two other AAGPS schools.

Doesn't appear to be any denial that NEW may have used the Him Talks exclusion clause for the two Hobbits.
Thanks for the translation. I wonder who this guy's English and Geography teachers were?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I hear that bursary holders at TSC have been told to say nothing and admit nothing.;)

EDIT: Is that the sound of shredders I hear in the Registrar's office?

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I hear that bursary holders at TSC have been told to say nothing and admit nothing.;)

EDIT: Is that the sound of shredders I hear in the Registrar's office?
stop making s..t up we all know you hate scots just try and be balanced..its a school scholarship thread not a scots scholarship thread...try and bring your Mr Hyde from other threads over here.......:rolleyes:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
stop making s..t up we all know you hate scots just try and be balanced..its a school scholarship thread not a scots scholarship thread.try and bring your Mr Hyde from other threads over here...:rolleyes:
Straight from a parent.

Don't hate anyone or Scots. If you want to spend time trekking back through this thread you'll see that at various times I've commented on the activities of Kings, Newington, Joeys, Riverview and Alos for water polo and probably other schools as well.

Scots just happen to be getting peoples attention at the moment for obvious reasons (basketball dispute). At various times Kings and Newington have been in the firing line.

Dr Jeckyll was the good guy, Mr Hyde was the evil alter ego:)

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Straight from a parent.

Don't hate anyone or Scots. If you want to spend time trekking back through this thread you'll see that at various times I've commented on the activities of Kings, Newington, Joeys, Riverview and Alos for water polo and probably other schools as well.

Scots just happen to be getting peoples attention at the moment for obvious reasons (basketball dispute). At various times Kings and Newington have been in the firing line.

I KNOW:D

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Straight from a parent.

Straight from a parent????? gee threw me brain out when i had kids better go find it...and a beer....back to the growns ups thread:)

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Straight from a parent.

and you did make that up so stop it and admit it

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
stop making s..t up we all know you hate scots just try and be balanced..its a school scholarship thread not a scots scholarship thread.try and bring your Mr Hyde from other threads over here...:rolleyes:

Given that the allegations about TSC are somewhat topical, and that you appear to be closer to the issue than most, is there any update on how things are going in Bellevue Hill?

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
How about we stop lampooning GPSRow - he has a view like all of us! The exams start on Monday and I would like to think a little encouragement would be good.

Good luck to all the lads sitting the HSC and IB over the next few weeks! :)

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Given that the allegations about TSC are somewhat topical, and that you appear to be closer to the issue than most, is there any update on how things are going in Bellevue Hill?
I whole heartedly agree that transparency is the key. But Maybe the heads of every school should sit down and sort out a solution rather than taking their bat and ball and go home. As for some of the comments here maybe we should get our facts right QH before loading up. Alos and water polo is once again picking on 1 school when there are many who could be accused. I'm not distressed ILTW was just pointing out that we seem to be all sitting in Glasshouses here throwing stones when it comes to school allegiances.
The logical response did not happen.....do I have an issue? no. because at some stage in life you are going to face the best.
I want to see my opponents weaknesses sooner rather than later. Gives me time to work out how to beat them or at least try...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^ But wait there is more with 3 non-Government schools being 1 Selective Sports School in NSW, 1 in ACT and 1 in Victoria.

No non-Government Schools from Queensland.

No NSW representatives from Schools outside Sydney.
One Queensland representative from a school outside Brisbane Metro (Including Gold Coast and Ipswich in Metro).

A broad based pyramid?
Sounds more like Cleopatra's needle.
I'm tempted to make a snide geography comment - but in the interests of thread harmony I won't.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
should sit down and sort out a solution rather than taking their bat and ball and go home

Here's a solution: dont sign up to protocols you dont intend to adhere to and, if your circumstances change, be upfront enough to go to those with whom you've agreed and tell them you cannot adhere to the protocol.
I infer that's what Newington did judging by earlier posts and they have been given a waiver, it seems.
The water in Oz rugby is muddy enough without these issues.
And while I'm on the high horse and since we are, I think, all rugby lovers can we agree that the concentration of rugby playing talent in narrow pockets is not good for the long term health of the game in this country?

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Here's a solution: dont sign up to protocols you dont intend to adhere to and, if your circumstances change, be upfront enough to go to those with whom you've agreed and tell them you cannot adhere to the protocol.
I infer that's what Newington did judging by earlier posts and they have been given a waiver, it seems.
The water in Oz rugby is muddy enough without these issues.
And while I'm on the high horse and since we are, I think, all rugby lovers can we agree that the concentration of rugby playing talent in narrow pockets is not good for the long term health of the game in this country?
stop making sense on this thread or you'll get assigned as "parent no.2":)