• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This boy was quite a late bloomer to the sport of Rugby.

He originally came to the school in year 9 on an all-rounder type of scholarship. Being half for academic half for basketball. Funnily enough, he tried out for the 15 d's in his first ever rugby training and didn't know anything else but how to run it straight. Nek Minnut. NSW U16s, played in the 2nd XV in year 10, 2 1st XV premierships and a gurnsey in the GPS 2s or 3s.

"If I don't know what to do, I just ask Ando (lachlan Anderson)" - George Prassas.
I understand this boy was Dux of Year 11. I'm sure he is not the only one at a GPS school who is very bright and happens to play !st XV (in my year at New more than half of the First XV were in the top set). Now what happens in these cases if a boy who genuinely wins an academic scholarship plays First XV, should he be excluded from the Firsts/'penalisied' under the points system?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I understand this boy was Dux of Year 11. I'm sure he is not the only one at a GPS school who is very bright and happens to play !st XV (in my year at New more than half of the First XV were in the top set). Now what happens in these cases if a boy who genuinely wins an academic scholarship plays First XV, should he be excluded from the Firsts/'penalisied' under the points system?
I would have thought that depends.
As far as I know academic scholarships at most if not all schools are offered after a common exam. Music scholarships after an audition and an exam, though I'm less clear about this.
Most if not all schools allocate these in year 7.
The legitimacy of offering music or academic scholarships in years 9, 10 or 11 is questionable because the school may seeking to bolster its appearance by buying in already proven performers: the same issue in a different context.
Given all that it does not seem possible that a year 9 10 or 11 arrivedr could fit the bill.
If he's there from yr 7 or earlier good luck to him, I say but the points system won't work: it's an honour system and they've already tried one of them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It wouldn't penalise him, depending on how the system was configured of course. Any models that I've seen don't presuppose that every boy starts in Year 7, so there are points "available" for genuine late starters you just wouldn't be able to have most of your team starting in Year 9 or after.

IS is correct in saying that a points system might not work either and we'll have to see what, if anything, the Heads come up with at their meeting next week.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It wouldn't penalise him, depending on how the system was configured of course. Any models that I've seen don't presuppose that every boy starts in Year 7, so there are points "available" for genuine late starters you just wouldn't be able to have most of your team starting in Year 9 or after.

IS is correct in saying that a points system might not work either and we'll have to see what, if anything, the Heads come up with at their meeting next week.
I still dont like the idea, implicit in this model, that any school can go out and build a team: maybe I'm old fashioned but that's not what kid's sport should be about.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I still dont like the idea, implicit in this model, that any school can go out and build a team: maybe I'm old fashioned but that's not what kid's sport should be about.
We agree. My support of a points system (or any other system) is to try as far a possible to limit 1st teams to the boys that started in Year 7, with some allowance in the system to allow for genuine late starters.

The problem for the AAGPS is how to preserve the ethos of school sport within their association. Can the association continue with some schools strictly observing the rules, others adopting the Hawkes doctrine and one aiming for world domination?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We agree. My support of a points system (or any other system) is to try as far a possible to limit 1st teams to the boys that started in Year 7, with some allowance in the system to allow for genuine late starters.

The problem for the AAGPS is how to preserve the ethos of school sport within their association. Can the association continue with some schools strictly observing the rules, others adopting the Hawkes doctrine and one aiming for world domination?
No it cant.
Soul searching is required but judging by @Brian Westlake's telling anecdote there are those who soul search instinctively and perennially and those for whom it involves using iTunes.

fsrugby

Frank Nicholson (4)

I agree fully

The odd thing is that some current rules seem to be followed without exception - the most obvious one being turning 19 - ie it is against the GPS rules to play any GPS sport if you are turning 19 that year. i have never thought that rule was overly fair - a boy who turns 19 on the 1st Jan 2015 can play the whole of the 2014 season - a boy who turns 19 on the 31st Dec 2014 cannot play a single game.recent years have seen boys compete in state championships for their school (where turning 19 is ok) but they did not play GPS.

The current problem is that the current rule(s) is not black and white - Scholarships are ok if they are not sporting and bursaries are ok, creating this ridiculous scenario where Lambert is arguing his pupils that have been scouted at NSW rep tournaments are on bursaries and are not at Scots for their Rugby/Basketball etc.

I am worried that the points system that has been suggested here is too complicated and also too 'grey'.

Again i get back to my proposal - let them go hell for leather in year 7 - anybody on any scholarship or bursary that arrives in year 8 or later can attend the School, but cannot compete in GPS sport. This rule is as black and white as you can get - it cannot be rorted.

A school can apply to the other 7 schools (incl TAS but excluding High, who generally do not 'vote' on matters which are specific to private schools) for exceptions to this 'rule' - majority vote to rule.

If a boy is on full fees (only exception is a sibling discount), and he arrives in a later year he can play. Use the shore/Iggies Saturday programme (new Abbott spelling) which lists all teams each boy previously played in, and it will be very easy to police.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sorry @fsrugby bursaries are not OK if they are for sport:
Rather the test is inducement to enrol
No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm's length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
5pm on the eve of a long weekend when there is a Schoolboy test on tomorrow, Greco-Roman Rugby Grand Final on Sunday, Daylight savings being introduced, Argies possibly beating the Wobs, School still on holidays, and the V8s gearing up for Bathurst.

Perfect timing for Dr (Sir) Humphrey Lambert to leak the preliminary findings.

And my birthday! (Candles and Cake being paid by school)

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
About two years ago Scots First orSecond XI Football team (can't remember which) was all of a sudden relegated from top of the ladder to the bottom of the ladder for a 'technical' infringment, anyone else know what I'm referring to, was this the first sign of Scots scholarship program being busted?

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Does not seem to make sense. The 2nd XI was 3rd on 9 points (5 and 7 points adrift from leaders) and docked 3 points to 7th place. Hardly the stuff of scholarship infringements. Playing a suspended player, ineligible player (>19), 12 players on the field. I could go on and on until I thought of something witty but how much time can you devote to a soccer post?

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Lets face it, the moderators may even delete this string. Surely we are infringing site rules here. Ultra vires or something like that.