• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Is ultra vires worse than hyperbaric or hypobaric
Given my newly minted status of "lawyer" I now feel qualified to answer that question. "Ultra" is really a marketing power word so that whether good or bad "vires" would certainly outrank "baric" I think.

That's the beauty of a legal qualification, you are technically able to answer any question in four states and two territories.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sport has returned to the TSC website, although the biography of the Director of Basketball has been taken off.

One measure of achieving excellence in sport at The Scots College is for us to become the most consistently high-performing school in AAGPS and to be recognized throughout Australia for our excellence in sport.

https://sports.tsc.nsw.edu.au/our-vision/

No sign of a backdown there.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sport has returned to the TSC website, although the biography of the Director of Basketball has been taken off.

One measure of achieving excellence in sport at The Scots College is for us to become the most consistently high-performing school in AAGPS and to be recognized throughout Australia for our excellence in sport.

https://sports.tsc.nsw.edu.au/our-vision/

No sign of a backdown there.

Oh, i dont know - once it was domination now they just seek recognition of their excellence.
One thing I won't be recognising them for is their spelling, although if you're going to chase a dream in that american invention i suppose you may as well take up their spelling.
In other news:

Adding further scope to the pathway, the College introduced sports training sessions inside the academic timetable. This has provided a significant scope for all teams to benefit from the College’s senior coaching staff and the availability of resources during this time.
https://sports.tsc.nsw.edu.au/summer-sports/basketball/

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In other news:

Adding further scope to the pathway, the College introduced sports training sessions inside the academic timetable. This has provided a significant scope for all teams to benefit from the College’s senior coaching staff and the availability of resources during this time.

The senior coaching staff aren't available after school?

Strange priorities.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Oh, i dont know - once it was domination now they just seek recognition of their excellence.
One thing I won't be recognising them for is their spelling, although if you're going to chase a dream in that american invention i suppose you may as well take up their spelling.
In other news:
Also bad grammar to define/measure "excellence in sport" by achieving "excellence in sport". Grammatically much better with the word "dominance".;)

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
OH MY GOD! after 160 pages of scholarship banter, why cant it be like the Taco ad where the little girl (AAGPS) says "why don't we just have both?" and the italian community (the wider GPS community) cheering and clapping the little girl in amazement!

GPSrow's supreme Ideal:

• 2 100% full fee Scholarships offered to each school in each sport or co-curricluar activity (even music or debating). If they cross-over and end up excelling in one or more sport or co-curricular activities, that is fine. 'The more they do, the merrier' This scholarship must be means tested. They can come in any year.
  • 1 100% full free Scholarships provided it go to a boy of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander heritage to every GPS school.
  • Any other scholarships offered by the school e.g. an all rounder, music etc. must be a minimum of 25% full fee deduction. Any other family member or teacher deductions can be to a maximum of 50%.
This will ultimately allow for a minimum of 16 boys in the GPS system to be accepted and acknowledged as the best performers in there school and in the GPS. It will require them to achieve excellence in the particular sport or co-curricular activity they are chosen to be in (or more) and provide healthy competition for other boys that are paying full fees.
And on a final note, having 8 or so Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander boys in the GPS system will do great wonders for the stigmas and stereotypes of some GPS schools. It was also grant these children a world class education to which will hopefully lead to a better life for them, their communities and improve the huge disparity between Indigenous and non-indeginous Australians.
There you go gentlemen. An 18-year old's insight into fixing all this "crap".

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
OH MY GOD! after 160 pages of scholarship banter, why cant it be like the Taco ad where the little girl (AAGPS) says "why don't we just have both?" and the italian community (the wider GPS community) cheering and clapping the little girl in amazement!

GPSrow's supreme Ideal:
By all means rewrite history or even change its course with scholarships and bursaries but don't attribute the taco to Italy.
Perhaps none at Newington but there would be more than 8 indigenous boys in the AAGPS already.
Suggestions about how to manage sporting scholarships miss the mark: some of the schools don't want them - that's what prompted the ban on them in the first place!

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
By all means rewrite history or even change its course with scholarships and bursaries but don't attribute the taco to Italy.
Perhaps none at Newington but there would be more than 8 indigenous boys in the AAGPS already.
Suggestions about how to manage sporting scholarships miss the mark: some of the schools don't want them - that's what prompted the ban on them in the first place!

all i'm saying is "tradition isn't everything"

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)

GPSrow's supreme Ideal:

• 2 100% full fee Scholarships offered to each school in each sport or co-curricluar activity (even music or debating). If they cross-over and end up excelling in one or more sport or co-curricular activities, that is fine. 'The more they do, the merrier' This scholarship must be means tested. They can come in any year.
  • 1 100% full free Scholarships provided it go to a boy of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander heritage to every GPS school.
  • Any other scholarships offered by the school e.g. an all rounder, music etc. must be a minimum of 25% full fee deduction. Any other family member or teacher deductions can be to a maximum of 50%.
This will ultimately allow for a minimum of 16 boys in the GPS system to be accepted and acknowledged as the best performers in there school and in the GPS. It will require them to achieve excellence in the particular sport or co-curricular activity they are chosen to be in (or more) and provide healthy competition for other boys that are paying full fees.

And on a final note, having 8 or so Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander boys in the GPS system will do great wonders for the stigmas and stereotypes of some GPS schools. It was also grant these children a world class education to which will hopefully lead to a better life for them, their communities and improve the huge disparity between Indigenous and non-indeginous Australians.
There you go gentlemen. An 18-year old's insight into fixing all this "crap".

H'mm, what can be said - "Newington: Fail".:)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Or the Sergeant Schultz approach.
"I know nothink"
SgtShultz.png

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
I hear 2 boys are starting in Year 11 @ New in 2014 happy to tell their mates they're on "rugby scholarships"

And yes I would be too if I was attending one of the finest rugby programs and schools in the GPS. I'm sure there Facebooks and Instagrams are full of rugby pictures.

I wonder what they would if they were going to Scots or Joeys?

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Am absolutely gobsmacked to learn that some of the schools now combining teams to have a crack at the Lambert Cup in basketball. This is a not a win win really since there are only a couple of vacancies left after the "all comers welcome" invites went out. I hope my lot will be there, but I don't feel right. I don't care who they have to team up with. Boys v keen to show they can match it with the best. Good on 'em, but Rocky was only a film, eh?

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
And yes I would be too if I was attending one of the finest rugby programs and schools in the GPS. I'm sure there Facebooks and Instagrams are full of rugby pictures.

Good luck in your HSC exams, buddy; hope you are only doing English Standard. Just slow down a bit.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

So let me see if I understand this: you deny there are 2 kids coming from the Shire who have been induced to attend based on sporting ability?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
@Inside Shoulder, I think he is not denying anything. He is just claiming that NEW has one of the finest rugby programmes in the AAGPS, and that there will be lots of rugby photos on their facebook pages, and that if he was on a sporting scholarship at NEW he would be telling all and sundry.

He wonders if they would be so open about being on a sporting scholarship if those boys in question had been induced to two other AAGPS schools.

Doesn't appear to be any denial that NEW may have used the Him Talks exclusion clause for the two Hobbits.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Private school education obviously does not include geography? Italy???

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
all i'm saying is "tradition isn't everything"
So G, you are going to play at Sydney Uni or Randwick next year?
How about you suggest that Randwick change their colour to Purple and blue?
Or suggest to Uni to play in vertical stripes?
This is what makes Rugby Union... Tradition. This is what makes the wrongdoings of both your and Dr Lamberts school reek. Nothing personal to you though