• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Not disagreeing with your statement but imagine the amount of older boys who have a whole afternoon/night taken out of their study time. I know from experience that boys rarely study on a Saturday. Also logistically it would be mayhem

Genesis 1 "God made an oval shaped ball to be played on the sixth day".

C'mon let's be fair dinkum: Like 90%+ of the student population around this country - play school sports on a wednesday, thursday afternoons; play club sports on the weekend and they get around the logistics and study time.

So lets say, GPS, CAS and ISA commence to play their sports during the week (sports afternoon) and are allowed to play club sports on the weekend; you would probably find that the 40% (I believe a low estimate) of C, D, E & F teams would play club rugby in their district and around 70% of A & B teams would play club rugby. A percentage would play league or other sports and percentage would not play any sport.

I'm not sure of the school population for these associations, but I have no doubt that it would be a fairly large increase in the junior club/district rugby scene.

Boarders could be catered for by the individual schools assisting with registation of these pupils with local clubs/teams.

This would allow the actual pyramid of participation in rugby to grow.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
@whatever I like the model.
A problem, but not an insurmountable one, would be making sure you had enough "good" coaches out there in village clubland.
To me "good" only means coaches worried about the fundamentals - everything else is window dressing.
To those who point to the NZ model we need to recognise not only the competition we face from loig etc but the very different school system that operates over there, as I understand it.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
@whatever I like the model.
A problem, but not an insurmountable one, would be making sure you had enough "good" coaches out there in village clubland.
To me "good" only means coaches worried about the fundamentals - everything else is window dressing.
To those who point to the NZ model we need to recognise not only the competition we face from loig etc but the very different school system that operates over there, as I understand it.

Maybe, this is where the ARU and the state unions step in (spend some bloody dollars b4 oz rugby (wallabies) becomes irrelevant) with coaching accrediation.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The NZ Schools system seems to be undergoing some changes similar to what is happening here.

Look on the 2013 Aust Schools Thread for a complete team list of the NZ Schools team

New Zealand Schoolboys vs FIJI at St Marys 27 September

<snip>
Observations:
Lots of Blues Boys (11/23)
Mostly Private School boys (17/23)
Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch boys nearly all Private schools (is Tangaroa college private?)
Only 6 Boys High School Boys
23 boys, 16 schools represented
70% of the players are Private Schools.
1/2 the boys from Auckland.
This supports a previous article on this thread about a bit of a Scholarship arms race in Auckland Schools Rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The NZ Schools system seems to be undergoing some changes similar to what is happening here.

Look on the 2013 Aust Schools Thread for a complete team list of the NZ Schools team

70% of the players are Private Schools.
1/2 the boys from Auckland.
This supports a previous article on this thread about a bit of a Scholarship arms race in Auckland Schools Rugby.
coincidence that Fiji beat them on Friday?

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Whilst I have no doubt that amongst this thread are the seeds of something that might actually work in the future ( with a lot of buy-in from ALL parties, naturally) , without wishing to appear a “negative Nellie” I believe that a significant issue to be overcome is the lack of available ovals to play on.

Councils are being swamped by all codes for the use of limited available resources……….and school ovals provide a bit of a “pressure release valve” for schoolboy rugby to be played.

It is hard enough juggling training with Juniors, Seniors and everyone else who wish to grab some “free” space during the week, let alone on the weekend.

This was one ( but certainly NOT the only one ) reason why playing rugby on Friday nights surfaced all those years ago…..

Happy for people to offer ways to maximize usage out of scarce resources………..a bit like having enough referees to go around, too, when you think about it.

Playing on Friday night, Saturday & Sunday allows maximum use of a small resource pool on weekends………….I shudder to think where adequate resources might be sourced during the week….again, not meant to be roadblocks, but more like speed humps......
The Hound

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Whilst I have no doubt that amongst this thread are the seeds of something that might actually work in the future ( with a lot of buy-in from ALL parties, naturally) , without wishing to appear a “negative Nellie” I believe that a significant issue to be overcome is the lack of available ovals to play on.

Councils are being swamped by all codes for the use of limited available resources……….and school ovals provide a bit of a “pressure release valve” for schoolboy rugby to be played.

It is hard enough juggling training with Juniors, Seniors and everyone else who wish to grab some “free” space during the week, let alone on the weekend.

This was one ( but certainly NOT the only one ) reason why playing rugby on Friday nights surfaced all those years ago…..

Happy for people to offer ways to maximize usage out of scarce resources………..a bit like having enough referees to go around, too, when you think about it.

Playing on Friday night, Saturday & Sunday allows maximum use of a small resource pool on weekends………….I shudder to think where adequate resources might be sourced during the week….again, not meant to be roadblocks, but more like speed humps..
The Hound
You're right about the ovals. On the northern beaches, rugby comes a distant 3rd behind soccer and rugby league in the competition for grounds, plus there are fields specifically allocated to hockey, aussie rules and netball. In Manly, our junior village clubs struggle to accomodate all their current teams training on the available space.

There's a lot of things which sound great, and if you were starting again, we certainly wouldn't have things as they are, but we have to work with what we have. Just as the state school system couldn't handle the extra pupils if private schools closed tomorrow, there's just no way that the exisiting personnel and infrastructure of club rugby could handle the extra players en masse if the GPS/CAS/ISA competitions stopped being played on Saturdays. Most of our traditional rugby areas are in older parts of Sydney where you just can't build new fields, sheds, etc. Non-traditional rugby areas are where you have greenfield sites to build such facilities.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Not to mention the fingers hovering over the "All grounds closed" button at the first sign of rain
Absolutely.... really this idea has no legs at all. Simply because just like if it looked as if it may threaten to rain, no one would ever play because the grounds people may actually have to do some grounds keeping. Watch out...!!
At least the GPS schools who have grounds (noticed Scots seemed to lose the extra field this year on the main campus leaving only one) usually make an effort. Reminds me of when Grammar open XV wanted to cancel due to wet weather a few years ago against Joeys but Joeys offered their field and the show went on.... Couldn't stand rugby games at the mercy of local government bureaucrats. Haven't we enough troubles with rugby in this country??!!

Stan Pilecki's Left Nut

Bob McCowan (2)
Hi Girls and Guys, just swinging by and dropping down to see if we have a solution yet?
What is the actual problem? Can anyone tell Stan?????
Quick Sand, some good comments tonight but seriously...you got too much time on your hands man (man?) You seem to know everything about everything relating to Schoolboy Rugby in Sydney AND it's problems. Are you the vine or a branch or a twisted little dried up prune out on a limb (ps: advanced English student here QS). You are growing on me Quick Sand (and the vine).

Quick Sand do us all a favour and draft the GPS new code of conduct for sport and post it here (just the main bullet points please).
Get it off your chest M8T and then go have a stiff lemonade (in moderation)

Come on, let's drop all the bitter, twisted, sneaky snide comments and innuendo's and put it out there. What's the solution champ?

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
You're right about the ovals. On the northern beaches, rugby comes a distant 3rd behind soccer and rugby league in the competition for grounds, plus there are fields specifically allocated to hockey, aussie rules and netball. In Manly, our junior village clubs struggle to accomodate all their current teams training on the available space.

There's a lot of things which sound great, and if you were starting again, we certainly wouldn't have things as they are, but we have to work with what we have. Just as the state school system couldn't handle the extra pupils if private schools closed tomorrow, there's just no way that the exisiting personnel and infrastructure of club rugby could handle the extra players en masse if the GPS/CAS/ISA competitions stopped being played on Saturdays. Most of our traditional rugby areas are in older parts of Sydney where you just can't build new fields, sheds, etc. Non-traditional rugby areas are where you have greenfield sites to build such facilities.

QH,

Whilst I agree with the majority of your posts, I believe that with a little thinking outside of the square your concerns could be overcome.

How about this one - if GPS/CAS/ISA current competitions can be played on football grounds on Saturdays, if these games were now played mid-week; why couldn't the same grounds be used for expanded junior club rugby, where practical and needed.

Just an simple idea that could be expanded on; I'm sure there are other possibilities.

Also, would it not be possible for a certain percentage of current personnel (CAS/CAS/ISA) to be drawn across to club rugby to organise and assist to run the expanded comps.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Hi Girls and Guys, just swinging by and dropping down to see if we have a solution yet?
Quick Sand, some good comments tonight but seriously.you got too much time on your hands man (man?) You seem to know everything about everything relating to Schoolboy Rugby in Sydney AND it's problems. Are you the vine or a branch or a twisted little dried up prune out on a limb (ps: advanced English student here QS). You are growing on me Quick Sand (and the vine).

Quick Sand do us all a favour and draft the GPS new code of conduct for sport and post it here (just the main bullet points please).

Come on, let's drop all the bitter, twisted, sneaky snide comments and innuendo's and put it out there. What's the solution champ?

Nutter,

Australian rugby is dying on the vine (your words) and it is starting at a schoolboy level.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Quick Sand, some good comments tonight but seriously.you got too much time on your hands man (man?) You seem to know everything about everything relating to Schoolboy Rugby in Sydney AND it's problems. Are you the vine or a branch or a twisted little dried up prune out on a limb (ps: advanced English student here QS). You are growing on me Quick Sand (and the vine).

One thing to start and one thing to stop Stan.
Start taking your medication.
Stop staring into the Sun.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
On one hand Stan is right, lets get past the crap and on to solutions.

On the other hand he is a little disingenuous; there have been a couple of solutions put forward.

On the 3rd hand (not normally considered a realistic alternative but since Stan only has one nut) how would a solution to this issue fit with the rest of the rugby world.

The alternatives put to date as far as I can see are:

1) zero assistance (with all of the existing unresolved enforcement issues) perpetuating the dishonest position of all GPS schools
2) open slather with sufficient transparency to allow governance to maintain a reasonable balance
3) complex formulae along the line of ensuring that the number of Year 7 scholarships times the number of corner flags divided by the number of tries scored by the Wallabies etc etc ....

Clearly I favour 2 and note previous suggestions that such an approach may involve open competition amongst all independent schools for the elite grades (eg Scots, New, Auggies, Knox etc) which then fits opening a discussion regarding how this fits into broader development pathways.

Any change is going to take a lot of effort, consultation and even hard work. Across all school communities. It is long overdue. It may as well start here.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
On one hand Stan is right, lets get past the crap and on to solutions.

On the other hand he is a little disingenuous; there have been a couple of solutions put forward.

On the 3rd hand (not normally considered a realistic alternative but since Stan only has one nut) how would a solution to this issue fit with the rest of the rugby world.

The alternatives put to date as far as I can see are:

1) zero assistance (with all of the existing unresolved enforcement issues) perpetuating the dishonest position of all GPS schools
2) open slather with sufficient transparency to allow governance to maintain a reasonable balance
3) complex formulae along the line of ensuring that the number of Year 7 scholarships times the number of corner flags divided by the number of tries scored by the Wallabies etc etc ..

Clearly I favour 2 and note previous suggestions that such an approach may involve open competition amongst all independent schools for the elite grades (eg Scots, New, Auggies, Knox etc) which then fits opening a discussion regarding how this fits into broader development pathways.

Any change is going to take a lot of effort, consultation and even hard work. Across all school communities. It is long overdue. It may as well start here.
How about, as previously suggested, each school puts up the ad in the paper saying to apply to the GPS/CAS /ISA etc board and let the board dole them out as they see fit. Bad luck if your kid gets drafted into St Gregs when you were hoping for Auggies or View. You can always go back to studying electives of tattoo designing and unique baby naming. ( Shaniquah Westlake!!! Put the knife down!)
If little Oliver, Samuel or even Jarradiyah want to play sport or lead electric triangle they all appear before the board, so when a 198cm 120kg guy turns up saying that he is sitting for the physics scholarship. Hit the kid up to recite the periodic table. That'll fix him.
As I said, one representative from each school all but eliminates any stacking of teams and any other under the table shenanigans that may occur.