• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

T

The Blindside

I go to an all GPS school, and I reckon its extremely unfair watching your mates lose to a team of imports. They work their arses off only to be beaten soundly to an opposition that doesnt deserve to be there

You keep talking about "imports" as thought the schools were professional clubs.
Every school offers scholarships to talented boys in all fields - sport, music academia etc.
By definition scholarships are for only those who have exceptional talent.
Are you suggesting that schools only offer scholarships to boys with no talent?
Or should there be a cut-off year? If so, what year is appropriate?
Or are you suggesting that talented young boy/men who play rugby are not worth a place in a gps school?
I've been around gps schools for 40 years and most scholarship boys are worth 100 of the indolent spoilt brats who get sent there by their rich parents.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Come on lily, give him a break he is only a school kid.
His point is still valid.
He maintains that a victory that has been won by recruiting players to improve weaknesses in a side is a tainted victory.
Let's all remember that the rules of the comp do not allow it. It is cheating.
I believe these imports bring more to the School than just their Rugby ability.
Change the rules and you remove the problem.

T

The Blindside

Again there is lots of talk about imports. If a boy gets a scholarship in year 7 is he an import ? If not, what about year 8 or year 9 ? When does a genuine scholarship become an import ?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Look at the Schools website see what they offer. Anyone who does not get one of these scholarships is an import.
Makes it a bit hard to explain that one School has at least 7 in one age group, when their website shows they offer many less than that in each year.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Again there is lots of talk about imports. If a boy gets a scholarship in year 7 is he an import ? If not, what about year 8 or year 9 ? When does a genuine scholarship become an import ?

I'd say offering a scholarship any time after the start of grade 10 (nsw grade 9?) is when you call it importing.

Like I've said before, if the school offer scholarships at the start of high school and to no more than 2 kids per grade, than I have no problem with it. When you bring in 4 blokes for senior, it's cheating.

T

The Blindside

I'd say offering a scholarship any time after the start of grade 10 (nsw grade 9?) is when you call it importing.

Like I've said before, if the school offer scholarships at the start of high school and to no more than 2 kids per grade, than I have no problem with it. When you bring in 4 blokes for senior, it's cheating.

Why only two per year? Why not 4 or 6?

The reason you can't ever stop this argument is because it is so hard to define. Last Year Joel Luani was called an import at New - he started in Year 10 and his father and uncle went to the school? Go figure that one!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

The reason you can't ever stop this argument is because it is so hard to define. Last Year Joel Luani was called an import at New - he started in Year 10 and his father and uncle went to the school? Go figure that one!

If a school advertised 4 or 6 scholarships available in a certain year, then that is fine. When they do not advertise 6 scholarships in a year, but have that number or more playing in one age group,one can only assume something underhanded is going on.
Sort of like when a 16 y o joins those 6 kids say at the start of this term.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

I said 2 because often times the guys on scholarships in the year 11 will also make the firsts. So that's 4 first players on scholarships. If you had 6 blokes you could end up having 12 first players on scholarship, which I think is a bit much.

2 scholarships per year is historically about what most qld gps schools (bar a couple) are willing to offer. In any case I don't think you want more than 3 or 4.

T

The Blindside

Only if that 16 year old was on a scholarship

Very rare for a gps school to bring in a boy on scholarship mid year

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)
------------

There's a tongan boy (imort from Tonga) on scholarship for Joeys playing under 15. He was injured in his first game. Thanks Joeys for giving him to opportunity to study and play rugby.

He started at joeys because of reasons other than his rugby skill

B

baldingwingforward

Only if that 16 year old was on a scholarship

Very rare for a gps school to bring in a boy on scholarship mid year

New rule brought into GPS this year... If a boys name is not on the school list at the start of the year, i.e. day 1 term1, the school has to jump through all sorts of hoops and make an appeal to get that boy in to play. Funny thing - at the meeting when they agreed on this new rule, the only school to vote against it... Kings!

F

fourgreatkids

2010 = 114 students
12 boys with OP#1 (10.5%)
37% = OP 1-7
53% with OP 10 or better

Brisbane Grammar School has over 250 kids doing OPs and had around 80 boys receive OP 1-2. they also have very few boys coming in on scholarships, with i think a maximun of 4 currently at the school.(could be more). This proves that these scholarships are bringing down OPs

L

leftside

I think that the primary issue with sporting scholarships hasn't been raised yet. There's been a lot of talk about the effect on other schools (eg GT) suffering because of the importing. However, I think the main issue is the effect on the IMPORTING schools. Those pro-importing argue that these schools are giving these talented kids an opportunity by playing against the best...However, what about the full fee-paying kid who has been in the 13As, 14As, 15As, 16As, and then finds his position in the 1st XV - the greatest honour - displaced by some 'random' who is purely at the school to boost its rugby program.

Above all, the schools are showing a great lack of trust and respect to these players...These are the kids who have worked their arses off for 5 years only to be told that 'You're good, but we've seen this bloke running around for Springwood State High who is better.'

And no, I am not a disgruntled parent whose son was displaced from the 1st XV for this very reason.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It would be good if the scholarships were better regulated. The school associations should set up a regulatory body to review all of the scholarships to make sure that they are working for all involved.
If a school provides a kid with a scholarship they have a duty of care to provide him with the best opportunity that they can as a student. The students school results should improve. Maybe they could work out a system where the student can only represent the school if they reach certain scholastical or vocational goals (they would be free to train with the team though). This way the student is being looked after for their future career as well as their sporting/musical ability. I don't expect all of these guys to go on to be doctors or lawyers but they should be given the chance if that is what they want and if they have the ability. If they are not interested in obtaining an OP they should be provided with vocational training that will help them when they finish schooling. I don't think anyone benefits from doing Rugby Studies as a subject at school.
I think in all of this a lot of the time the kid who is on scholarship isn't thought of and someone needs to stand up and make sure they are being looked after.

J

jddd

rugby at all GPS schools is a very prestigous institution, one cherised across all of the schools. the reality is competition has become so fierce that talented athletes are appearing in falgship teams, that otherwise wouldnt be attendance at these private schools. my opinion is that schools should cater for an array of aspects, the main being academic, cultural and sporting. boys who excell in those fields want to be given the best program a schoolboy can fit in. hence schools who are passionate about their rugby program will offer these boys an experience of a lifetime not only for there rugby but for(in most cases) their academic and personal development. at the end of the day when two 1st XV teams take the oval on 3 oclock saturday afternoon, the better team wins. the team that wants it more, the team that was worked harder for it. there is no two ways about that. a team is responsible for how they dictate themselves and the results they get, not the opposition-'imports' are by no means an excuse for losing...you got beaten by a team that was more talented than you.

my one conceren is those schools(not naming names) who recruit players who only contribute to the rugby program and do not follow the codes and regulations of the particular school they attend, and get away withit because they score a few tries. that is unnacceptable and schools who embody this should have a hard look at themselves.

L

lewis1234

You keep talking about "imports" as thought the schools were professional clubs.
Every school offers scholarships to talented boys in all fields - sport, music academia etc.
By definition scholarships are for only those who have exceptional talent.
Are you suggesting that schools only offer scholarships to boys with no talent?
Or should there be a cut-off year? If so, what year is appropriate?
Or are you suggesting that talented young boy/men who play rugby are not worth a place in a gps school?
I've been around gps schools for 40 years and most scholarship boys are worth 100 of the indolent spoilt brats who get sent there by their rich parents.

No GPS schools give sports scholarships

T

Try Time

Call them whatever you like but they are free or heavily discounted tuition given to boys in order to bolster the quality of a schools sporting program. No matter how hard you want to believe that they do not exist, they do.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
What are imports??????????????????????
What so many of you are failing to acknowledge, and is that because many of you are from the city, is that these kids who are offered scholarships do not have any real way of being recognised. Not many make it from staying in their regional areas through to year 12 and get the contracts. They have to come to the city, and yes, GPS schools to be acknowledged, seen and get to compete at that higher level.
It's NOT about displacing other kids, it's about opportunity. Good on the schools that give these kids an opportunity. It's mainly for kids in years 10, 11 and 12. Any younger and the expense may be too high for the school. NOT all of these kids have parents whom can afford to send their talented kids off to school to where the competition is.
YES school sport has a big part in the kids being sighted, but lets not forget its not only about sport.
Too many of you are seeing it personally and not looking at the big picture.
A few schools are about them and winning but most are about the kids.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
After thinking about this issue a bit, I've come to the conclusion that this scholarships issue is a lot brouhaha over not much. Given that the GPS schools are considered "elite" to begin with and are majority privately funded, what is the actual problem with them offering sporting scholarships? It's apparently OK for them to be offered for academic or musical prowess, so why not sport? If you've got a kid who has some talent in one of those areas and has the opportunity to get good quality tuition/coaching at a private school and the school or its supporters are willing to pay for it, then I fail to see the issue.

I would rather the schools be open about this rather than, as Scarfy called it, a form of shamateurism.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
After thinking about this issue a bit, I've come to the conclusion that this scholarships issue is a lot brouhaha over not much. Given that the GPS schools are considered "elite" to begin with and are majority privately funded, what is the actual problem with them offering sporting scholarships? It's apparently OK for them to be offered for academic or musical prowess, so why not sport? If you've got a kid who has some talent in one of those areas and has the opportunity to get good quality tuition/coaching at a private school and the school or its supporters are willing to pay for it, then I fail to see the issue.

I would rather the schools be open about this rather than, as Scarfy called it, a form of shamateurism.

Couldn't agree wth you more.