• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Say It Ain't So!!! McCaw may be GONE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Army_Gav

Twitter is rife with rumours that he's out. Shame a) I always believe in beating the best side to prove your worth b) The "Same old Richie, always cheating" chant won't get used now

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
There seems to be a suggestion that he's been called in for training purposes.

Without having seen the regulations pertaining to the RWC, I question whether it would be legal for him to do this; it would provide the ABs with resources outside their squad which other nations do not have and further would thoroughly invalidate much of the purpose of the 48 hour ban on replacement player involvement w/ the squad were he to take over the role.

P

pete88

Quick, get JO'N on the blower to the IRB! Cause a stink! Mind games time :)

A

Army_Gav

Maybe he isn't injured, maybe it's because he can't handle the Cock

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm pretty sure this is just an advantage the home team can utilise.

The teams are only allowed to have 30 accredited players. Presumably Todd is either staying at another hotel or at the same hotel but paid for by NZRU rather than by the RWC.

Not overly fair, but I tend to think it is just a tacit advantage for the home team. Having the IRB police every team meeting, training session etc. to enforce the rule would seem a bit overzealous and detract from the RWC more than it would improve it imho.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'd be more confident hearing it from a source not associated with the All Blacks tbh.

Of course, this gives us a clear idea what to do in forthcoming world cups; don't bother with having to select a squad of 30. Just pick your 30 'activated players' and bring them over with another 15-20 'opposed training' players.

I'm pretty sure that you can do this. There's nothing stopping the other nations from bringing in players as well. I think teams in past RWC have brought in club teams or whatever the equivalent is to NPC-type teams for 'opposed training'.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
If its in the regs, then fair play.

I just question it with regard to all the provisions preventing a player joining the squad for 48 hours after being selected as a replacement. Consider if Cruden or Turner had been consistently providing 'opposed training' for the squad during the cup. How much time would it take for them to fit into the teams structures there versus another player who hasn't been involved at all for the rest of the cup?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If its in the regs, then fair play.

I just question it with regard to all the provisions preventing a player joining the squad for 48 hours after being selected as a replacement. Consider if Cruden or Turner had been consistently providing 'opposed training' for the squad during the cup. How much time would it take for them to fit into the teams structures there versus another player who hasn't been involved at all for the rest of the cup?

The rule is only that they aren't allowed to play in a match for 48 hours after being added to the squad.

P

pete88

What's the point of the 48-hour thing anyway? Seems silly to gimp a squad beyond losing a top-30 selection.

J

Jay

What's the point of the 48-hour thing anyway? Seems silly to gimp a squad beyond losing a top-30 selection.

To make it even between teams playing in their backyard vs teams playing on the other side of the world. Wouldn't really be fair if NZ etc could bring a player in at the drop of a hat when France & Wales had to wait for a 30 hour trip before their man could slot in.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)

The only point is it takes longer to get a player from the other side of the world than it does from the same city/country.

Just means that a player has time to fly from England without impacting the team more/less than a local guy.

P

pete88

I reckon ditching that rule and allowing a shadow squad that can't attend training or receive any type of accreditation would be better tbh but it makes sense I guess.

J

Jay

I reckon ditching that rule and allowing a shadow squad that can't attend training or receive any type of accreditation would be better tbh but it makes sense I guess.

That just sounds like something the minnows would struggle to afford, thus disadvantaging them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Haven't we done something similar with the cricket team overseas? Recruiting an Aussie playing club or county cricket in the UK to carry the drinks as 12th man, and on occasions, the fellow has taken part in fielding as a substitute. IIRC a couple of years back the substitute took a couple of good catches at Lords or somewhere. As said here it is much easier to get a bloke in who is just down the road, as opposed to flying to the other side of the world.

P

pete88

Good point well made Jay, I take it back. Although you wonder if big teams won't start sending contracted players that don't get in the 30 on "holidays" to RWC destinations or hiring them to help with official ARU/NZRU etc tour parties.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
That just sounds like something the minnows would struggle to afford, thus disadvantaging them.

Which is kind of my point. Its only fair when everyone is in the same situation. If the Minnows can only work with their 30 players + coaches, then the other teams should do likewise.

While Australia could relatively easily do the same thing, there will be nations where the travel distance or cost of doing so would be prohibitive and as such, the 'local' teams gain an advantage. Is it really particularly reasonable to provide that advantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.