• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

S15 Rd 1 - Brumbies v Reds, Friday 13th February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Hammertime.

I just can't see a No 7 bench spot. Smiler on the bench in place of Doyle, and Butler can play 7 if Poey goes down.

Also, Ah Wong has a broken arm, unfortunately. His absence will certainly weaken the bench. Probably Dargaville on the bench as Bernie apparently sees him as backup to 12, 13 and wing.

Can't see more than 5-7 points in this game whomever wins it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Think its a good idea to get the bloke involved straight away.

Curtis covers a few spots anyway so probably a great bench option for the team

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon::

1. Slipper (C) (continuing his EOYT form)
2. Saia (continuing his EOYT form)
3. Talakai (gone very well at set piece in both trials)
4. EOD (great opportunity)
5. Horwill (last week was the best James has been for years IMO - he seemed everywhere)
6. Browning (No doubt Thomson is going to take 6 - otherwise why spend the dollars on him - but upon reflection it is only fair to start Curtis and have Adam in the wings), Curtis has trialled very well
7. Gill (main bout with Poey)
8. Schatz (just does the work each week one of my first picked in any Reds team))
9. Genia (looking like a return to real Will Genia form - fantastic for the team and supporters)
10. Hunt (VC) (just brought composure to one of the most important and influencial positions on the field) can slot back to 15 upon Quades return - unless he makes the position his own). Look forward to some more running
11. Kuridrani (lots of promise - just keeps improving)
12. Ant (great steadying influence mid field)
13. Kerevi (great - keep progressing - higher honours ahead for this bloke)
14. JOC (James O'Connor) (lots of eyes on James - reckon a blinder coming up )
15. JJ (played pretty well last week - kid is full of confidence - just needs a little more control over those low percentage plays)

16. Hansen (bloody hard worker every week)
17. Daley (will be better this week -( he looked stuffed last week but hadn't played a game for ages)
18. Sef (hopefully he's OK otherwise chuck in the big Tongan lad)
19. Kotze ( has shown pretty good form)
20. Thomson (to get 30-40 minutes)
21. Frisby (love his enthusiasm but Pickle - cut out the shitty penalties)
22. Duncan (better last week than the week before - hope the improvement continues)
23. CFS (a beast when he wants to be)

Really looking forward to Gill v Pocock - its a contest within a contest

Red-L

Frank Nicholson (4)
I bloody hope RG starts JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. While Hunt was sound against the crusaders, not much was asked of him and surely will be found out by the Brumbies strong back-line. RG better pick JOC (James O'Connor) for kicking duties aswell. Was kicking great in France and surely picked up some technique from Wilkinson and Halfpenny. Reds 13-10

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I don't mind too much if Hunt or JOC (James O'Connor) play 10. Both bring some skills. Would be leaving Duncan out for a while, too big an ask to start the season.

Slipper
FTS
Talakai
Kotze
Horwill
Thomson
LFG
Schatz
Genia
Hunt/JOC (James O'Connor)
CFS
FTA
Kerevi
Kuridrani
Hunt/JOC (James O'Connor)

Hanson
Daley
whoever is standing (i hear this bloke has real promise)
EdO (5th choice lock)
Browning
Frisby
Taps
JJ (Very good game v saders but keep having flashbacks to some of his worst of last year)

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
1. Slipper
2. FTS
3. Talakai
4. Kotze
5. Horwill
6. Thomson
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Hunt
11. Kuridrani
12. Ant
13. Kerevi
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. JJ

Hanson
Daley
Rugby Reg (Hopefully he can avoid any one-on-one situations with the opposition backs, we all know how that story ends)
EOD
Browning
Frisby
Taps
CFS

I'm not sure what the state of Paraka's injury is right now but with Sef out for an unknown amount of time, has he been looked at as a possible conversion to THP? Or at least given some time there?

JOC (James O'Connor) will keep the scoreboard ticking over when the Brumbies inevitably give us plenty of penalties to work with all over the field. Hard to pick which of our back three is going to score the opening try of the match, reckon it will be the only of the half.

A maul and pushover try in the second half to seal the deal.

Reds - 32
Brumbies - 18

:D

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I hope Thomson puts his hand up this weekend for some good ball carries and that sets the tone for the season. My only real gripe with the Reds forward pack at the moment is that it may contain too many workhorses and not enough x-factor, guys who can change the game with ball in hand. Hopefully Thomson takes on this role for Round 1 and beyond.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon::

1. Slipper (C) (continuing his EOYT form)
2. Saia (continuing his EOYT form)
3. Talakai (gone very well at set piece in both trials)
4. EOD (great opportunity)
5. Horwill (last week was the best James has been for years IMO - he seemed everywhere)
6. Browning (No doubt Thomson is going to take 6 - otherwise why spend the dollars on him - but upon reflection it is only fair to start Curtis and have Adam in the wings), Curtis has trialled very well
7. Gill (main bout with Poey)
8. Schatz (just does the work each week one of my first picked in any Reds team))
9. Genia (looking like a return to real Will Genia form - fantastic for the team and supporters)
10. Hunt (VC) (just brought composure to one of the most important and influencial positions on the field) can slot back to 15 upon Quades return - unless he makes the position his own). Look forward to some more running
11. Kuridrani (lots of promise - just keeps improving)
12. Ant (great steadying influence mid field)
13. Kerevi (great - keep progressing - higher honours ahead for this bloke)
14. JOC (James O'Connor) (lots of eyes on James - reckon a blinder coming up )
15. JJ (played pretty well last week - kid is full of confidence - just needs a little more control over those low percentage plays)

16. Hansen (bloody hard worker every week)
17. Daley (will be better this week -( he looked stuffed last week but hadn't played a game for ages)
18. Sef (hopefully he's OK otherwise chuck in the big Tongan lad)
19. Kotze ( has shown pretty good form)
20. Thomson (to get 30-40 minutes)
21. Frisby (love his enthusiasm but Pickle - cut out the shitty penalties)
22. Duncan (better last week than the week before - hope the improvement continues)
23. CFS (a beast when he wants to be)

Really looking forward to Gill v Pocock - its a contest within a contest

Nearly a perfect score, but for me, Kotze before EOD. We just can't afford the penalties against the Brumbies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Rugby is back "FUCK YEAH" and what an absolute cracker of a first game.. Brumbies vs Reds in the concrete eski....

It looks to be a fucking cracker... could come down to the half time talks, RG vs Larkham ;)

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reds sent round an email that had a few choice stats from the trial, amongst them was that browning lead for positive tackle involvements and positive attacking ruck involvements with 22 and 17 respectively. This fits pretty well with my recollection of his play and I'd be starting him over Thomson this week. I expect Thomson will take the start eventually, but with the forward pack operating so well as a unit against the crusaders it might be worth bringing him in over a few weeks, so as not to break that cohesion. That said if he trains the house down it'd be hard not to start him.

Reactions: BDA

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Browning is a tough guy and a born leader. The competition for places will get the best out of him. On top of that Schatzie played with a lot of intensity. They have the stats on him?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I just checked my email and the answer is no. JJ and Samu made some metres though. That call about Kuridrani and Samu causing a singularity when they hit each other on Friday could be a good one. Samu is a monster this year.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
CB was very very good against the crusaders. It really just depends what you want out of the back row. Thomson could easily come in for Schatz too but I doubt that will happen.

Based on history, I wonder if the best call is to go with a 6/2, with the bench being made up of
16. Hanson
17. Daley
18. Whoever is fit (I saw in todays presser that Slips said he's pretty sure Sef will be right)
19. Kotze
20. Thomson
21. Robinson
22. Frisby (covers 9 plus 10 and 15 if required)
23. Some fucking beast of an outside back with a fire lit up him (Kuridrani, CFS or JJT, whoever has dropped out for JOC (James O'Connor)).

Status
Not open for further replies.