• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC Wallabies v USA - 23 September

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
My point being if we do, everything is 'okay' again. When its not.

Just wondering about this, I don't disagree that winning by a large margin will potentially boost the feeling of invincibility we tend to get, but what is the RIGHT way to win the next two pool games?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anything less then 40 points before 65minutes is a disapointment.

McCabe and Fainga'a should not start again this tournment. Get Barnes at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 for this match. We really need Barnes to have that solid calming effect in the backline.

And one last thing, USE THE MOTHER-FUCKING BENCH! Higginbotham, Palu and Mitchell all got less then 15 minutes. Simmons and Slipper should of been brought on after 50 and even Fainga'a should of come on at some point, cause Tatafu had a shocker

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Just wondering about this, I don't disagree that winning by a large margin will potentially boost the feeling of invincibility we tend to get, but what is the RIGHT way to win the next two pool games?

I think your 100% on that Timms, there is no. Right or wrong, only victory.

That said, ruthless aggression, no mercy and structure, lots of f'n structure in attack would make me smile.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hopefully we play ten man footy and destroy them at the set piece. Dominate the ruck and eviscerate them in the tackle.

This isn't the Super 15, we can't just rock up with our Light Brigade and swing it wide, this is the RWC. Time to be mature and play the way we need to play.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Given how wet a lot of the games are, I think it's high time Sharpe gets back in the squad.
He's got plenty of size, plenty of mongrel and a lot of experience.
What is vickerman's personal penalty count thus far in the world cup? he seems to be giving a way more than his fair share.
Sharpey to the bench at least.
Not sure if its been picked up anywhere else, but what do people think of those JOC (James O'Connor) Swisse vitamin commercials that are showing up in the CH9 broadcasts. specifically the one where he's decked out in what I'm told is a far too tight "Fuschia" sports jacket and some combo of Kahki slacks and ballerina tights. I am wondering what sort of 'brand' he is promoting? the one that comes to mind is probably not allowed to be written on this forum.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anything less then 40 points before 65minutes is a disapointment.

McCabe and Fainga'a should not start again this tournment. Get Barnes at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 for this match. We really need Barnes to have that solid calming effect in the backline.

And one last thing, USE THE MOTHER-FUCKING BENCH! Higginbotham, Palu and Mitchell all got less then 15 minutes. Simmons and Slipper should of been brought on after 50 and even Fainga'a should of come on at some point, cause Tatafu had a shocker

McCabe will/should start again. Fainga'a won't.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
McCabe will/should start again. Fainga'a won't.

Slim while I agree with what you're trying to say I don't think it's going to happen. Now is the time to roll the dice for Deans and whilst he has shown great faith in McCabe, the reward just hasn't been there with the exception of the Brisbane test. Barnes is our next best bet and has the ability to take over the playmaking role if Cooper is having a shocker, something we lacked against Ireland. There is nowhere else in the side for Barnes to play other than 10 or 12, quite frankly it's too late to be changing our 10 and Barnes has test experience at 12.

The other position as you suggest is open to selection, is outside-centre. Our options there include Ashley-Cooper, Fainga'a, Horne and McCabe. Fainga'a has been a let down in the last two matches, while many still debate if he had opportunities to show his class, he simply hasn't worked hard enough to get the ball and pose a threat to the defence. Horne is on the come-back from injury, I would expect him to feature at some point as he is a dynamic, hard-running outside centre who has a shitload of pace to burn and has also been part of the Wallabies set up for a while. Ashley-Cooper is out of form, he has been shuffled around the backline but really hasn't impressed anywhere, he is the most likely of the four to get a run at 13 due to his experience there last year. McCabe quite frankly doesn't have the size to play 13 and the requirements of a 13 are quite different to those of a 12.

It will be Ashley-Cooper at 13, depending on where Deans sees Mitchell at. I think Barnes at 12 is a must, the playmaking IC that we had last year worked wonders and it's not too late to change back now, he knows what is required playing there. Would love to see Horne get a go at 13 and would have to fancy him ahead of Fainga'a and McCabe. If he's not ready, why the fuck was he picked in the squad?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
These guys are only playing one game a week, I would assume a "fit" first team will be selected, especially after last weekend

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
light, it wasn't just the Brisbane test... McCabe was excellent throughout the Tri Nations, and despite a couple of bad moments on the weekend (less than some) he did some excellent things in defence (dominant tackles/turnovers).

There's certainly no guarantee that Deans will gives Barnes a shot at inside centre as he's really the only viable flyhalf replacement for Cooper and will surely get plenty of gametime there in the next two matches.

I see Barnes as more of a 10/12 cover on the bench.

It's obvious after the past couple of matches that the centre combination isn't working, and I'm sure Fainga'a will be the one to go.

As for the notion that McCabe is not big enough for 13? That's laughable.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock and more to return but don't change the side. There was nothing wrong with the cattle as it was pretty much barring forced changes that won the tri-nations decider. I am happy to see the same side go out and make a mends. The performance needs fixing not the cattle.

Keep in mind that many players who get a shitload of man love on this forum had shockers last Saturday.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think sides have/will start to work McCabe out. He is pretty one dimensional, whilst he is solid at it, the stronger nations will work him out, as Ireland did.

Barnes needs a crack there, take pressure off Quade, good defence, has a calming effect on the backline. Also allows Beale to be used more as a runner then a play maker.

Right now with Fainga'a there, we mayaswell have only 4 options for Quade to hit in the backline, Fainga'a doesn't even get a look in. But I think we all agree he wont play again this tournment.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pocock and more to return but don't change the side. There was nothing wrong with the cattle as it was pretty much barring forced changes that won the tri-nations decider. I am happy to see the same side go out and make a mends. The performance needs fixing not the cattle.

Keep in mind that many players who get a shitload of man love on this forum had shockers last Saturday.

Indeed. There have been players who have been excellent against better teams who did not play well on the weekend.

We can't go making mass changes and expect that the side is going to perform better.

I don't get the idea that Barnes is our saviour when his test performances have been limited and mixed.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Gee people forget the Cooper / barnes combo they had going last year quickly.

Barnes running the game when the tight stuff was being done with Cooper sweeping around injecting himself made us so much more unpredictable than Cooper handling the ball every tine. It also allowed Cooper to slide wide and take the ball at 13 on occasion. This is awesome as with Beale coming in from fullback it allows th three friends (coops, Beale and JOC (James O'Connor)) to link up and run riot out wide.

If barnes hadn't got injured he would be starting 12 and we wouldn't be having this debate at all. He is there though, losing match fitness by not being played so I don't buy the cover for Cooper excuse or injury, he is in the squad play him.

McCabe has done nothing wrong, he has been given a Jo and has done what has been asked of him, he is a fine young player. It's just my opinion where not using the better one currently.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Gee people forget the Cooper / barnes combo they had going last year quickly.

Barnes running the game when the tight stuff was being done with Cooper sweeping around injecting himself made us so much more unpredictable than Cooper handling the ball every tine. It also allowed Cooper to slide wide and take the ball at 13 on occasion. This is awesome as with Beale coming in from fullback it allows th three friends (coops, Beale and JOC (James O'Connor)) to link up and run riot out wide.

If barnes hadn't got injured he would be starting 12 and we wouldn't be having this debate at all. He is there though, losing match fitness by not being played so I don't buy the cover for Cooper excuse or injury, he is in the squad play him.

McCabe has done nothing wrong, he has been given a Jo and has done what has been asked of him, he is a fine young player. It's just my opinion where not using the better one currently.

I wish I could agree with this more then once.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, he started that one game against France which we won.

What are those other achievements?

Barnes has recovered from his injuries for some time to have been considered in the squad earlier.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
+1 to waratahjesus and tigerland12

I really want to see the Cooper Barnes combination again.

Barnes provides the Yang to Cooper's Ying.

Plus in the wet conditions in NZ, it really helps to have another good general kicker at 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.