• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC - Wallabies v Italy - 11th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone know any stats for Sookface and Beibers kicking? If they're both in the side who will take the shots at goal?

Don't have any stats, but considering Beale was kicking for NSW ahead of Barnes this year, should really be JOC (James O'Connor).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah... I need the team to be announced so I know whether to drop Genia from my Fantasy team. Would be disastrous if they play Burgess in this game and I've still got Genia.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think there is a stronger case for starting slipper than there is for alexander. Firstly he needs game time, secondly going on super rugby and eoyt form he was above Alexander in the pecking order, but hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet due to injury, thirdly it will be good for him to get some experience propping against one of the best scrums in the world, which will be invaluable if we come up against england later on.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Team is announced upon arriving in NZ it was reported. Sometime tomorrow

Starting Slipper against Castro would be a disaster.

Kepu would be up against Castro at scrum time. Slipper is a better scrummager then alot of people give him credit for.

R

Richard D. James

I think there is a mental aspect to the selections here as well. First game of the World Cup. First game to show what we've got against a team we've recently struggled to beat convincingly. I want to see essentially our first XV starting. Barnes, Burgess, the other forwards, etc can get time at the end of the game, as long as we are in a good position.

Italy and Ireland are our big pool games and I don't want to take any chances. The Russia/USA games will be perfect for these guys coming back from injury to get a start, and along with some minutes in the first two games will put them in good stead for the knockout rounds.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It will probably come down to a kicking competition the day before the game, seems to be the current protocol.

I think if Sookface is kicking and has a reasonably solid game at 12 we are unlikely to see Beiber in our starting XV come the pointy end of the tournament. Mitchell will snap up the other wing place in a heartbeat if given the chance and McCabe is unlikely to be our 12 if Barnes is playing half as good as he has the potential to be.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think McCabe is our premier 12, and Deans has selected him to fill a role that Barnes cannot. And since McCabe has been sensational he isn't going to lose his spot anytime soon.

However, I think Barnes' role will primarily be as backup to both 10 (there's no one else in the squad with test experience) and 12.

So unless McCabe, or others have a howler they're not going to lose their spots.

R

Richard D. James

Yep, and I'm very happy with Barnes as our backup 10. He's the best we've got. I don't really want to see him playing 12 unless something drastic happens on the field and we need a steadying hand for QC (Quade Cooper) or there are injuries.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think McCabe is our premier 12, and Deans has selected him to fill a role that Barnes cannot. And since McCabe has been sensational he isn't going to lose his spot anytime soon.

However, I think Barnes' role will primarily be as backup to both 10 (there's no one else in the squad with test experience) and 12.

So unless McCabe, or others have a howler they're not going to lose their spots.

So who misses out, Fainga'a or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Deans has already tossed up several surprises this year. McCabe as a 12 which has worked. Vickerman making a comeback and being awesome. Dropping Giteau and installing Horwill as captain instead of Elsom and we've won the 3N.

Pretty much all of these have been met with a fair amount of condescension and doubt and so far all have been successful.

I'll be very surprised if Deans is settled on his lineup given the players returning from injury. I think there will almost certainly be some selection shocks. Hopefully it continues working for the Wallabies.

If the same XV or even the same starting forward pack from the 3N decider are the starting team against Italy, I will be very surprised.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So who misses out, Fainga'a or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

Neither at first.

Same XV that beat the AB's.

JOC (James O'Connor) is most likely to return at the expense of one of them though. I would stick with Fainga'a at 13 but Deans might prefer AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Neither at first.

Same XV that beat the AB's.

JOC (James O'Connor) is most likely to return at the expense of one of them though. I would stick with Fainga'a at 13 but Deans might prefer AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Mitchell
12 Fainga'a
13 Ashley-Cooper
14 Ioane
15 Beale (kicker)

I'd prefer that backline.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So would I... but it depends on Mitchell's fitness.

It's a miracle he's managed to get himself in a position to be a part of the World Cup, but I think his needs to be reinstated slowly off the bench and via the minnows to get back to proper match fitness.

Haven't seen him play so not sure if he'll be back at full speed anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.