• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Italy - 11th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I don’t get suggestions of rotating/resting players for this game. Italy aren’t a minnow, they are a solid team and it’s important to get off to a strong start for the RWC as momentum is everything in a knockout competition. Play our A team.

Deans has been gearing his squad towards the RWC for the last few years, he doesn’t need 1 extra game to work out selections, we are here now. Same thing with fitness, these guys have been together for 2 months now, on top of the Super Rugby season, they don’t need an extra hit out to get fit.

As for those coming back from injury, it’s for them to earn their way into the 22, Deans owes them nothing after putting faith in them putting in the squad already. Let them prove themselves on the training paddock as any other would.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Ok here is my 22 for the game

1. Kepu
2. More
3. Alexander
4. Horwill (c)
5. Simmons
6. Higgers
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Digby
12. Barnes
13. Fainga'a
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Sharpe
19. McCalman
20. Palu
21. Genia
22. McCabe

The reason for this
- Italy have a strong scrum and I feel this is our best scrumaging tight 5
- Simmons gets more experience calling the lineout and needs to be tested against a team that will play tight if required in later games
- I want to see how Higgers goes at 6 from the start of the game, it's his natural position
- We need to see Burgess under pressure inside Quade
- I want to see Barnes at 12 to see if he really is an option there plus he can kick goals
- Ant has only started 1 test this year and deserves more time
- I like this back 3 so they get the opportunity to play together again
- Slipper needs to be teasted
- TPN is our second best Hooker by a whisker (or best in some eyes) and the best option off the bench
- Sharpe is the bench option at Lock
- I want to see McCalman at 7
- Palu needs some good game time
- Genia is there if needed
- McCabe covers 11-15

I'm not resting players but rather seeing how others go.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd put Barnes at 10 or 12. Italy are a forward strong side, they love to grind teams down and kick goals.

It will be interesting to see if the forwards can dominate the way they did in Brisbane.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Play the best pack (8 from Brisbane)

Burgess at halfback and Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wings. That's the only changes needed for the 15 imo. Maybe Horne at 13. TPN, Slipper, Sharpe, Palu, Barnes on the bench

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This thread has brought up lots of discussions about our "B Team" and drawing comparisons to the Samoa test.

Out of our World Cup squad of 30, I'd say that the only players that are genuinely part of the B team are: Phipps, Ma'afu, Simmons, Saia Fainga'a, and Rob Horne.

Slipper, TPN, Palu, Mitchell, and Barnes are all still contenders for the starting XV in my opinion and certainly part of or pressing for a spot in our best 22.

McCalman, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and McCabe could very easily be in our B team by the end of the cup depending on how some of the returning players go.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

Burgess at halfback and Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wingers. That's the only changes needed for the 15 imo. Maybe Horne at 13. TPN, Slipper, Sharpe, Palu, Barnes on the bench

I second this, maybe with Slipper starting for Alexander as my only change.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't be throwing Slipper straight up against a strong Italian frontrow...

I'm standing by we play the exact same XV that beat the All Blacks, but with a bench consisting of:

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Sharpe
19. McCalman
20. Burgess
21. Barnes
22. Mitchell

The bench to get plenty of game time if the match is decided early. JOC (James O'Connor) to miss out another week to give Mitchell a shot off the bench.

W

What2040

I wouldn't be throwing Slipper straight up against a strong Italian frontrow...

I'm standing by we play the exact same XV that beat the All Blacks, but with a bench consisting of:

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Sharpe
19. McCalman
20. Burgess
21. Barnes
22. Mitchell

The bench to get plenty of game time if the match is decided early. JOC (James O'Connor) to miss out another week to give Mitchell a shot off the bench.

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Simmo
19. Higgers
20. Burgess
21. Berrick
22. Mitchell

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Absolutely qwerty. Packs get better as a unit. Let them build on that showing. Changing anything in the 8 would be a pretty bad idea in my view.

Oh and the Itays can scrum so that settles it on the Brisbane tight 5.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also, our set piece wasn't exactly up to scratch.

Needs more time developing.

Sharpe needs to come onto the bench after missing the last match, and he's clearly ahead of Simmons on form.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
I see no reason to rest players against the Italians. Why not carry out momentum into the tournament and make a statement against the Italians and Irish before backing off with B teams against Russian and the US? Our mainline boys will be confident and rested going into the finals.

The last thing we want is a scare in the first game

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Vickers and Samo should both be 50 minute players and have nothing left in the tank at that point in time. It's definitely part of the balance of the side that we have players who are there to make an impact for part of the match and then be replaced and players like Horwill who will pay 80.

Samo and Palu playing 50 and 30 minutes respectively is a pretty exciting prospect at number 8.

I agree, but the risk is when one or two 80 minute players get injured. This is why it is a risk to play Palu, Samo, Vickerman, Slipper and TPN all in the same team. Some you can't leave out, some you might have to. Palu still hasn't played any games, so he should sit out first. Slipper isn't too much of a concern, because a prop can become mysteriously injured during a game if they are too stuffed. Vickerman and Samo can play if McCalman and Higginbotham are on the bench, as both are 80 minute players, and McCalman can play lock at a pinch. TPN we can't afford to leave out. He is too good.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Does Samo really? He has a whole Super season under his belt.

Vicks, maybe. I think he's doing pretty well, but if they both need gametime they can come off the bench against the minnows.

He has only started one game for the wallabies in the No. 8 position. He needs to develop combinations with the other forwards, and also the backs considering he appears to be the wider running loosie option.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Burgess at halfback and Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wings. That's the only changes needed for the 15 imo. Maybe Horne at 13. TPN, Slipper, Sharpe, Palu, Barnes on the bench

Yep, this is a good option. Cooper needs more time to continue to improve, and brining Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) onto the wings allows them to shoot it out and give Ioane a rest. I'm not convince yet on the reasoning for starting Burgess, as it could be a risk, but Genia could probably do with the rest anyway. Keep the centres the same.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
I agree with Brumbies Guy and others suggesting playing a full-strength team. There is no time for development or experience in the WC. We have had years to develop most of these players and if they are not ready now, then they won't be in a few weeks time. Realistically, the only rotation I would be employing (bar against Russia and USA) is to ensure the potential starters; TPN, Slipper, Palu, Barnes and Mitchell are match-fit come semi-finals time. *punch wood*

Play the same XV as against NZ, with this bench. Should we have a comfortable lead empty the bench around the hour mark.

16 TPN > Moore
17 Slipper > Alexander
18 Sharpe > Vickerman
19 Palu/McCalman > Samo/Pocock
20 Burgess > Genia
21 Barnes > McCabe
22 JOC (James O'Connor) > Ioane

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
He has only started one game for the wallabies in the No. 8 position. He needs to develop combinations with the other forwards, and also the backs considering he appears to be the wider running loosie option.

Hate to harp on the point, but he's played a full Super season with most of those backs, including the 9/10. He may need to build his combination with the forwards, I think they've gelled pretty well together already though.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone know any stats for Sookface and Beibers kicking? If they're both in the side who will take the shots at goal?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyone know any stats for Sookface and Beibers kicking? If they're both in the side who will take the shots at goal?

It will probably come down to a kicking competition the day before the game, seems to be the current protocol.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
No changes to the starting 15. Return players through the bench. TPN and Slipper to play the whole second half. No disrespect to Italy intended but if we are serious about keeping the momentum gained in Brisbane going, we should bury Italy in the first 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.