• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Italy - 11th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My team
1. Kepu
2. TPN
3. Alexander
4. Horwill (c)
5. Vickerman
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Higgenbotham
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. Horne/Fainga'a
14. O'Connor
15. Ashley-Cooper

Bench
16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Sharpe (To replace Horwill relatively early.)
19. McCalman (Palu if available)
20. Genia
21. Horne/Fainga'a/McCabe
22. Beale

Some Points
- I'd love to see Horne in the backline at some point. Not because I think he is our starter or best centre, but because I feel he deserves the chance. Not sure if that will work outside Barnes and Cooper, but perhaps if Fainga'a plays at 12 as we need consistency right now.
- Beale off the bench worked well against Samoa, as too did Genia. Not to mention Burgess needs a go
- Resting Samo, we can't afford him being injured early and his fitness is questionable at his age.
- McCalman is proving good worth off the bench but I'd be inclined to go with Palu if he's available (hope so)
- AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 works well if our centre combination starts going off, bring him forward and put JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 if necessary
- Higgers to start, TPN needs a good run too and Moore has shown that he is in good enough form to be our starter come crunch time.
- TPN, Slipper and Mitchell all need game time.
- Could also swap Sharpe and Vickerman if Vicks needs a rest for bigger games.
- Ioane resting.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
I would leave Pocock out for this one and bring in McCalman. I am not saying that Italy will not be tough but if a backup 7 (even if not a 7) can't compete with them, then they really shouldn't be there. I would feel more confident knowing someone else has done the job against a tougher team than Russia or USA.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Italy are expert spoilers. Pick 5 backrowers, run the ball on the fringes, play Macqueen recycle rugby, and knock your 15 penalties over.

Overall, I have concerns about our centres. Not exactly a lot of penetration. And not offset by ball skills either.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surely Australia has learned from it's mistakes when not taking these kinds of matches seriously?

After a few weeks off, and Ireland to follow we should be heading into this game with our best xv.

If we get out to a big lead then players can come off early.

There's still Russia and the USA for fringe players to get game time.

The same xv that knocked over the all blacks should be starting for Italy and ireland with the likes of TPN, Slipper, Barnes and Mitchell brought into the bench.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'd be playing our starting side, Italy are no easy pushover. Whilst we should win comfortably I think we need to get the right team together for this and the Irish game before the quaters. For US and Russia let all the reserves play

S

Skippy

Dear Robbie,

I wanted to get in touch to congratulate you on winning the Tri Nations firstly but most importantly give you some tips for the WC pool games.

As you know from the several years you've been coach of the team the boys struggle to put together back to back performances. And losses to teams like Scotland and Samoa have demonstrated that the boys struggle to get up against 'weak' teams.

So I suggest you pick your strongest 15 and get out there and do the job against Italy. I suggest you pick your strongest 15 so that the boys can find form, work on combinations and prepare for the Ireland. The WC, as you know Robbie from your involvement with the All Blacks in the past is not the time for 'trying' things or being experimental. The Wallaby jersey or the honour of representing your country is not a charity and you shouldn't feel that you have to give people a go or give people game time unless it serves the purpose of preparing the best side for the games to come. The WC is not the time to build depth or develop players for the future. It's about putting on the field a team that you've developed, mentored and prepared over the previous years and giving them the chance to bring it all together and prepare for the knock out rounds.

Robbie, please don't decide now is the time to fuck around. Just pick the best team, respect the opposition and focus on winning one game at time. If the side suffers sets backs or injuries then you deal with it and adjust. But pick your best team, get the win, make subs as required when the win is a done deal and use games like Russia and USA to give people game time prior to the knock out rounds.

Italy is no easy game... remember Quade having to produce a bit of magic to put them away after 75 minutes last year? Ireland despite their form won't be easy beats either. Learn from Samoa Robbie. Take on board the fact this team needs now more than ever cohesion, time on the field together and to be confident they can produce back to back performances. If you fuck around now Robbie and try and run the team like a social side, be 'charitable' and take teams like Italy and victory against Ireland for granted then be prepared to risk fucking up the 2011 WC effort of the Wallabies like you and Mitchell did in the past with the All Blacks.

Good luck.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just couldn't comprehend why after a few weeks off you would want to go into your two toughest games of the pool stages without your strongest XV for both.

Especially considering there are new combinations in the team (tight 5/centres) that need as much game time as possible.

Our set piece wasn't exactly up to scratch against the All Blacks.

Australia obviously isn't going to field full strength teams against the USA and Russia. So it'll be detrimental to our consistency if we go up against Italy with a mixed team. That means our strongest XV will only have one game in a month playing together. And that's no good for our campaign.

What we need to do is put the sword to Italy, and then if we're giving them a good flogging early enough then bring off key players.

It's easier to defend a lead then chase one.

Remember Samoa Robbie. Remember Samoa.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
My team
1. Kepu
2. TPN
3. Alexander
4. Horwill (c)
5. Vickerman
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Higgenbotham
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. Horne/Fainga'a
14. O'Connor
15. Ashley-Cooper

Bench
16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Sharpe (To replace Horwill relatively early.)
20. Genia
22. Beale

Some Points
- I'd love to see Horne in the backline at some point. Not because I think he is our starter or best centre, but because I feel he deserves the chance. Not sure if that will work outside Barnes and Cooper, but perhaps if Fainga'a plays at 12 as we need consistency right now.
- Beale off the bench worked well against Samoa, as too did Genia. Not to mention Burgess needs a go
- Resting Samo, we can't afford him being injured early and his fitness is questionable at his age.
- McCalman is proving good worth off the bench but I'd be inclined to go with Palu if he's available (hope so)
- AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 works well if our centre combination starts going off, bring him forward and put JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 if necessary
- Higgers to start, TPN needs a good run too and Moore has shown that he is in good enough form to be our starter come crunch time.
- TPN, Slipper and Mitchell all need game time.
- Could also swap Sharpe and Vickerman if Vicks needs a rest for bigger games.
- Ioane resting.

You do realise that the players you claim need to be rested did quite ok week in & week out during the S15 this year don't you? Fuck this resting shite, they are professional players who would and should be up for every game possible....also they have had a two week break leading into the cup & in Samo's case he's only had the equivalent of one game since the S15 final! Genia missed abut 5 minutes of S15 all year, he thrives on being on the field. Resting is for saps!
Strongest run on side for both Italy & Ireland, we cannot afford to give either of these teams a sniff of a chance..... don't give a flying fuck who gets played against teh Ruskies & the Yanks.... though I hope for a good side v USA cos I will be in attendance.
This tournament is a sprint, you have to come out of the blocks very quickly!

O

OLDDOG

My team
1. Kepu
2. TPN
3. Alexander
4. Horwill (c)
5. Vickerman
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Higgenbotham
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. Horne/Fainga'a
14. O'Connor
15. Ashley-Cooper

Bench
16. Moore
17. Slipper for alexander 2nd 1/2
18. Sharpe (To replace Horwill at 50.)
20. Genia
22. Beale

Light, I reckon you're pretty close to spot on. 3/4 of the core team, with some game time for those on the fringes. Italy aren't mugs, but I believe we will tear them apart in the 2nd half. With a strong side initially making inroads, a few more rotations in the 2nd half if we get a big enuff lead. Full strength for Ireland thereafter, and obviously a bit of rotation for the weaker sides. Not taking Italy for granted, but really lads, they aint at home, and we are really starting to hit form. I wouldnt be surprised if we won by 30-40.......

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
You do realise that the players you claim need to be rested did quite ok week in & week out during the S15 this year don't you? Fuck this resting shite, they are professional players who would and should be up for every game possible....also they have had a two week break leading into the cup & in Samo's case he's only had the equivalent of one game since the S15 final! Genia missed abut 5 minutes of S15 all year, he thrives on being on the field. Resting is for saps!
Strongest run on side for both Italy & Ireland, we cannot afford to give either of these teams a sniff of a chance..... don't give a flying fuck who gets played against teh Ruskies & the Yanks.... though I hope for a good side v USA cos I will be in attendance.
This tournament is a sprint, you have to come out of the blocks very quickly!

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Our key reserves (TPN, Slipper, Sharpe, Hodgson, Palu, Burgess, Barnes, Mitchell) have had virtually no rugby for months. What happens if we get injuries, and injuries are a slight possibility in a seven week comp, ask the Tahs. None of the back-ups will have had any game time. Unlike NZ and SA, who sacrificed 3N results to get some games into their squads, our reserves spent all their time holding tackle shields. Play what's in front of you, always pick your best team, assume your key players will not get injured is all very well. But if reality strikes, and Genia and Cooper go down, will the pack just blame Burgess and Barnes for being a lousy Tah combination or will anyone suggest that maybe they needed to play some good quality rugby before the knockout rounds? And before you say it, USA and Russia is not good quality rugby.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We have to take a risk somewhere. I'd prefer we risked the maybes than the definites. Ie maybe a xv player will get an injury and maybe the backup player won't have 80 in them. Definitely we know Italy will not be a push over so definitely keep the combinations going that we have been building on.

Only change the bench to give the come back players some time. Tpn, slipper, barnes, Mitchell and maybe Palu on the bench. Barnes and burgess to get good time if the game is in hand. Cooper and Beale need all the time possible to get to their best before the knockout stages - they should both play 80.

Only starting player to consider dropping would be one of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), finger or McCabe. As strange as it sounds I would look at dropping AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as we are looking to bring either JOC (James O'Connor) or mitchell onto the wing at the pointy end and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been average at 13. It will be a tough choice for Robbie though.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I would hate for another Samoa incident however the players we are looking to bring in to the game to increase match fitness are very different to that game. TPN, Palu, Burgess are world-class and are in a different league to S Fainga'a, McCalman, Phipps. They will likely be able to do the job of thumping the Italians with ease. If however the Italians come out firing, we can always have our superstars on the bench to play the second half.

The key for Robbie, is that if it is close he needs to revert to our best and fittest XV sooner in the match rather than later. 40 minutes should be ample for Horwill, Pocock, Genia, Cooper etc. to put the game out of reach.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Our key reserves (TPN, Slipper, Sharpe, Hodgson, Palu, Burgess, Barnes, Mitchell) have had virtually no rugby for months. What happens if we get injuries, and injuries are a slight possibility in a seven week comp, ask the Tahs. None of the back-ups will have had any game time. Unlike NZ and SA, who sacrificed 3N results to get some games into their squads, our reserves spent all their time holding tackle shields. Play what's in front of you, always pick your best team, assume your key players will not get injured is all very well. But if reality strikes, and Genia and Cooper go down, will the pack just blame Burgess and Barnes for being a lousy Tah combination or will anyone suggest that maybe they needed to play some good quality rugby before the knockout rounds? And before you say it, USA and Russia is not good quality rugby.

But then it's our best xv who will be lacking match time.

And that's a lot lot worse than "what if" injury scenarios.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would hate for another Samoa incident however the players we are looking to bring in to the game to increase match fitness are very different to that game. TPN, Palu, Burgess are world-class and are in a different league to S Fainga'a, McCalman, Phipps. They will likely be able to do the job of thumping the Italians with ease. If however the Italians come out firing, we can always have our superstars on the bench to play the second half.

The key for Robbie, is that if it is close he needs to revert to our best and fittest XV sooner in the match rather than later. 40 minutes should be ample for Horwill, Pocock, Genia, Cooper etc. to put the game out of reach.

Didn't work against Samoa.

Start with your best players and win the game in the first 40.

Then they can have a rest.

The opposite is dangerous.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Agreed it didnt work for Samoa but the players utilised in that game were not of the same callibre as Palu, TPN, Barnes, Burgess etc... They werent even close.

The team inclusive of the above replacements was better than a full-strength Wallabies side two years ago and for that reason, I think Deans would be right making sure the complete first XV be fresh for a six day turnaround against an Irish team determined to right the wrongs of their lead into the WC...

That game is the big one. If players like Genia or Pocock pick up small niggles against Italy, Deans will be forced to play them six days later to win, which provides a big risk of serious injury before we even get to the knock-out stages...

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Predicting at most two- three starting changes from last week - and a lot on the bench. Momentum heading towards the Ireland game is important.

EG, bring Sharpe & O'Conner into the starting XV in place of Vickerman & AntFinger. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to 13, JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing. Maybe Barnes for Mccabe. Yes, change the centres - that is where the ABs scored their tries at Lang Park.

The real change is on the bench where sweeping changes see Slipper, TPN, Palu, and Mitchell join Burgess and Higgers from last week and Vickerman. Simmons, Sfinger, McCalman, Horne and Ma'afu rested. The bench needs to be a weapon, and the players returning from injury provide the quality.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
My team:
1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Slipper (see where he is)
4. Horwill (c)
5. Vickerman
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Samo (doesn't need a rest yet)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell (see where he is)
12. Barnes (see where he is)
13. Horne (see where he is)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

That's four changes from the Suncorp game.

Bench
16. TPN (I think TPN should be an authentic impact player - no starts)
17. Alexander
18. Sharpe
19. Palu (ditto - no starts except when Samo is resting)
20. Burgess (early replacement if possible)
21. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
22. Ioane

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Groucho, do you think Italy is the team to be trying Slipper out against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Predicting at most two- three starting changes from last week - and a lot on the bench. Momentum heading towards the Ireland game is important.

EG, bring Sharpe & O'Conner into the starting XV in place of Vickerman & AntFinger. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to 13, JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing. Maybe Barnes for Mccabe. Yes, change the centres - that is where the ABs scored their tries at Lang Park.

The real change is on the bench where sweeping changes see Slipper, TPN, Palu, and Mitchell join Burgess and Higgers from last week and Vickerman. Simmons, Sfinger, McCalman, Horne and Ma'afu rested. The bench needs to be a weapon, and the players returning from injury provide the quality.

Seems an odd thing to say since McCabe and Fainga'a were excellent in defence.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Groucho, do you think Italy is the team to be trying Slipper out against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed - I'd be letting Alexander start and take the sting out of that Italian front row, Short of a gallop, Slipper is likely to get a reaming. Reckon he should get plenty of time in the second half depending on how we are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.