• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC - Wallabies v Italy - 11th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not really, once he was in the clear he wasn't caught and was able to run the support lines. Just because it's Canada doesn't mean their backs were slow. For him to say himself he wasn't feeling his fastest is great news because he was definitely running at very good speed.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I would definitely have him on the bench, at least; not so much for his contribution in the game but to see if he is a valid candidate for the Ireland matchday 22.

Then I would give him at least one full game plus a bench spot in the last two pool games to make up for lost time.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think McCabe is our premier 12, and Deans has selected him to fill a role that Barnes cannot. And since McCabe has been sensational he isn't going to lose his spot anytime soon.

However, I think Barnes' role will primarily be as backup to both 10 (there's no one else in the squad with test experience) and 12.

So unless McCabe, or others have a howler they're not going to lose their spots.
he is an ideal bench player, he could cover 15 too.

He is also from memory quite good at field goals if required

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
dunno about that, with Maafu there, Slipper is the LHP cover me thinks

Fatprop, please do not do this! My mental health is likely to become unhinged. I keep remembering that we have a 50+ test cap THP back home playing Shute who walks all over this player (and I don't mean Slipper).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
By the end of the Super season Kepu was the best Oz THP and better at it than when he played at LHP before that. This surprised me.

It's a pity that Fat Cat was injured before the test matches, and Slipper was still a long way off; not least because Deans would have had to chose between Alexander and Kepu as THP. Alexander played every Brumbies game this year at LHP; excepting 5 when both Palmer and Ma'afu were injured so I thought his Oz THP days were over.

It was not to be and, who knows, perhaps Deans would have played Bennie at THP if every prop in the land was healthy. Kepu's problem is that he is also the best healthy LHP now; so he will probably have to stay there for the duration. It's a pity that Deans didn't play Alexander at LHP from the get go as I think we are missing something with Kepu not at THP and would not lose much with Alexander wearing the 1 instead of the 3 jersey.

It would be good if Slipper is deemed fit enough to play from the bench. THP Castro gave young James a torrid time in Florence last year though how Berdos didn't spot Castro boring in on Squeaky Moore all afternoon is anybody's guess. LHP Slipper fell on his face a couple of times because he had nothing to push against, but the Argentine Italian got away with it and Oz got pinged.

A quiet word in the ear hole of referee Rolland will be appropriate. He is fairly sound on scrums though I remember that he allowed both sides to go early on the hits in the 2nd half of the Hong Kong Bledisloe last year.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Could we have asked for a better start than a game against a team like italy? Its a game we should win but will also be a tough hitout, especially where we need it most, at the coal face. Its a chance for the Wobbs to prove that we have overcome our weakenesses from the 2007 RWC and put doubt in the Poms and Saffas minds re their game plan if we play well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Indications now that Deans will go in with the same XV as the AB game.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...guns-for-azzurri/story-e6frg7o6-1226130033205

But indications at Wallabies training at Coogee Oval in Sydney yesterday were that Deans would today name the same starting line-up that ran on in the Tri-Nations deciding 25-20 win against the All Blacks in Brisbane two weeks ago. This would mean that winger James O'Connor, who missed the All Blacks Test because of suspension, would return via the bench if selected.

There were also indications Queensland prop James Slipper, who has not played a Test this year because of an ankle injury, may be recalled to the bench. Asked whether he was looking to play his best team against Italy, Deans said: "Totally. That's what we'll do. Then we'll regroup. Six-day turnaround.

Growden reporting the same.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...tors-look-to-keep-winners-20110905-1jub0.html

Status
Not open for further replies.