• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's what I mean; it's pressure on a thrower. You contest, early, hard; if he's nervous about his throw, he'll get worse, get more conservative (which means less useful ball), throw more not straight; it's like a batsman under pressure, every dot ball makes him more likely to throw a bat at it and get an edge. TPN started throwing more and more crooked to secure possession until even Bryce spotted it. And once that happens, it's death for a hooker with the yips, because he's between a rock and a hard place, the pressure kicks up even more, and the throwing will start to disintegrate. Rory Best, who had a fine game today, has gone exactly the same way in the past.

Get in his head, early, make him doubt, rack it up with each wobbly throw.
But they didn't pressure us. They hardly contested many lineouts. That's my point. I could accept your premise if Ireland actually jumped at more. Unless POC was working some voodoo by simply being a ranga.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
But they didn't pressure us. They hardly contested many lineouts. That's my point. I could accept your premise if Ireland actually jumped at more. Unless POC was working some voodoo by simply being a ranga.

You don't know the power of the Ginge Side.

I should know; I'm a stealth ginge myself. And what's more, POC is breeding true as a ginge, because POC Jnr. is ginge too.

Era, we'll not fall out over it in any event. I'll owe you a pint and we'll defer to discuss it over said pint next time. :thumb

M

Moono75

I thought Simmons did well when he came on, should of been brought on earlier.

Agree. Simmons wasn't bad at all. I just thought Sharpe's leadership and experience could have settled the team. They definitely looked rattled and frustrated by Irelands game. Its concerning that there is such a disparity between the Wallabies best game and their worst.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
OkI will say it. Ireland's forwards completely outplayed Australia's. They had more bodies across every ruck, won all their lineouts with ease and their scrum demolished Australia's, with their two props killing Kepu and Alexander.

Forget the backs, it was all over in the front 8
thats absolutely correct. Our ruck play was dire. Did we even have more than 3 phases in the first half? IT was MArseille all over again. Bryce was complete shit byt the way but the irish had us covered in the forwards in this game anyway.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You don't know the power of the Ginge Side.

I should know; I'm a stealth ginge myself. And what's more, POC is breeding true as a ginge, because POC Jnr. is ginge too.

Era, we'll not fall out over it in any event. I'll owe you a pint and we'll defer to discuss it over said pint next time. :thumb
Now, my understanding of a pint (since we're well metric here, and you offered) is about 5 litres, so I'll take that virtual pint, Oirish! ;)
Always enjoy a good argument with ye, mate!

J

Jonah

exactly genia did not have to ball on the front foot at the back of a ruck, till well over 60 mins into the game.:-X

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Now, my understanding of a pint (since we're well metric here, and you offered) is about 5 litres, so I'll take that virtual pint, Oirish! ;)
Always enjoy a good argument with ye, mate!

Well, you are a professional at taking the piss, I suppose. ;)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
That's what I mean; it's pressure on a thrower. You contest, early, hard; if he's nervous about his throw, he'll get worse, get more conservative (which means less useful ball), throw more not straight; it's like a batsman under pressure, every dot ball makes him more likely to throw a bat at it and get an edge. TPN started throwing more and more crooked to secure possession until even Bryce spotted it. And once that happens, it's death for a hooker with the yips, because he's between a rock and a hard place, the pressure kicks up even more, and the throwing will start to disintegrate. Rory Best, who had a fine game today, has gone exactly the same way in the past.

Get in his head, early, make him doubt, rack it up with each wobbly throw.

Inventive bollocks, but bollocks nonetheless. TPN threw badly, as he often does on his way back.

G

GC

The backs weren't as bad as people are making out. I actually thought Cooper was one of the better ones. They looked threatening and closed Ireland's backs down. Nos 1 - 8 were however, shocking. Soft, ill-disciplined and unorganised. Worse than against England last year and the ABs at Eden park this year. Actually, I'd go so far as to say that was the worst Australian forward performance I have ever seen. TPN isn't anywhere near fit; McCalman is not international standard and rest just had a very very off day. Deans' bench use was rubbish too. This is pretty much 1995 all over again.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Comical. Cue, weeks of outrage at this joke of a Wallabies outfit for impolding tonight.

I guarantee this team will then knock out the Bokke and All Blacks out; only to win our praises again before another trademark implosion in the finals against the old foe...

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Well done Ireland... O'Connell, O'Brien & forwards were immense in disrupting ball, and BOD & backs outstanding in overall defensive team effort

Commiserations to the Wobblies... lacking penetration, missing Ioane line breaking abilities

Absolute arm wrestle...

BUT

Bryce Lawrence please retire, worst refereeing effort of the year... The ruck area was confusing especially with POB explaining rucks would be advantageous to the attacking side... BL consistently made a meal of every decision with regards to the ruck... Tacklers not releasing, players sealing off ruck, players playing ball off feet etc and all quite blatant... And scrums grrrrrr.......

Absolutely ruined the contest

Lets go Manu....

P

potogold

No offence, only an Irishman who'd just watched his team spring a historic upset (two key words there) would say that. How come you have never won against Tri-Nations opposition at home?

ireland have beaten south africa a few times at home now, in the old landsdowne road and at croke park, check it out, although i dont know why you would bring that up? its kinda irrelevant. ireland do blow hot and cold, and like france when theyre pumped and on fire they are very frustrating for teams.

ireland threw the kitchen sink and made it a slugfest, australia didnt have a plan B and were rattled, its as simple as that. australia have the better players in alot of positions but when ireland make the game by their own rules, theyre a good test side.

i was expecting australia to score a try and then get another one in the last few minutes. i honestly wouldnt have been surprised

D

DustyMan

I'm sorry but when is the last time this crack Irish team has EVER beaten anyone of note away from home? When was the last time this Irish team beat someone ranked higher than them when not playing in the wet of Lansdowne, Croke Park or Aviva stadium? When was the last time they beat any team of note at home even; a full team that is, not a Springbok team resting 7 or 8 regulars? Is it 3 or 4 years maybe?

Ah.. today.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.