• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I disagree completely that our scrum was demolished. The scrum was far closer to even than the number of scrum penalties reflected. There were several times the Irish TH put a knee or hand on the ground first and wasn't pinged and then we go down after that and the penalty went against us every time.

One thing that I noticed on a few occasions is that we stopped pushing (backrowers came off) as soon as the ball got the Irish 8-mans feet. We weren't expecting a second shove, and that's where they got us a few times.

M

Moono75

I think as much as Quade Cooper can win a game he can also shoot you in the foot. He pushed a couple of shithouse passes....what was he thinking. Trying too hard to be the mesiah for the wallabies and counteract the negative NZ publicity on him. Also Deans needs to look at how the game is going and bring on his bench players earlier. Higginbotham on too late. Mitchell on too late, he should have come on for JOC (James O'Connor).

And from a Force membeer big mistake not having Sharpe on the bench. When a northern hemispher team plays negative rugby you need experienced players to bring you through. Wallabies looked rattled. Where was the intensity they player with against the AB's in Brisbane. TPN learn how to throw straight.

Rant over.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I disagree completely that our scrum was demolished. The scrum was far closer to even than the number of scrum penalties reflected. There were several times the Irish TH put a knee or hand on the ground first and wasn't pinged and then we go down after that and the penalty went against us every time.

The penalty against Kepu at the end was the final nail in the coffin. The Irish players head hit the ground first.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
And from a Force membeer big mistake not having Sharpe on the bench. When a northern hemispher team plays negative rugby you need experienced players to bring you through. Wallabies looked rattled. Where was the intensity they player with against the AB's in Brisbane. TPN learn how to throw straight.

I thought Simmons did well when he came on, should of been brought on earlier.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
gotta give credit to the Paddies....they flopped all over the ball, did not roll away in the tackle, stalled with faked injuries and played to the conditions better than the Wabbalies. And whilst I agree with previous sentiments that Lawrence was inconsistent, atleast he was consistently inconsistent. The real fact is, the Wallabies were not able to adjust to that and pretty much got out muscled. It felt like they were just waiting for someone to pull a rabbit out the hat. However, the main factor for the loss......Quade is unable to effectively control a match. Robbie Deans is a greater mind than mine, but I just cannot fathom why you would not have Barnes on the bench. It's an easy fix, he could've come on to replace McCabe who was non existent (except for his tunrovers) and offered a steady hand outside Cooper or just replaced Cooper entirely when it was clear, that for the duration of the match quick ball was not going to be forthcoming. The secondary factor, whilst the scrum could've been better, the forwards, in particular the backrow, were unable to provide protection for Genia. Was Elsom even out there? Why wasn't Higginbotham brought on earlier? Why was no genuine back up 7 chosen in the squad in the first place. It has placed undue and unnecessary pressure on the young McCalman, who is a good player and deserves his spot in the squad, he is just not a 7....and I think even he would concede that. As a result, Genia was unable to make Cooper look good tonight.

Unfortunately for us diehards, I think Cooper just found out that not every play is the x factor play. JOC (James O'Connor) saved his hide with that sensational covering tackle on Bowe at the death.

Now I'll concede I'm an old bugger and somewhat conservative on selections when it comes to Test matches, but a backline that executes the skills well and regularly will always get my nod over the player trying the miracle ball. Beale off the bench when the defence is tiring is more exciting for me with Mitchell or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 safer. Mitchells rather large boot in a RWC will always be that safety net. But hey, it is not over, we just gotta work harder. Let's remember, it's the youngest squad in the tournament..............

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The penalty against Kepu at the end was the final nail in the coffin. The Irish players head hit the ground first.

Kepu was still relatively straight with the with the Irish prop bending and pull Kepu down and the Oz scrum is still penalised. If that doesn't prove Bryce had a pre determined opinion of the scrums nothing can. We should expect an apology from Obrien for this and public criticism of Lawrence.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Call me mad but watching replay.
ALL Aus players were off. Scrums were solid and fair, ref got many calls wrong as you can see Irish hands and heads hitting the ground first. Some very bad calls from ref re Aus. Thoughtit was bad 1st time I watched it and damn sure of it now. Basically we were out played - especially for passion and game plan.
Watched Fainga'a in Super rugby and played very well - wonder about confidence under Deans leadership. Same goes for Higgers. This would have been his sort of game, same with Burgess but what happened to changes? Can't understand why we have a Kiwi coach - seriously.
Hope the next Aus game is blistering.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Disagree about the Ireland lineout - they were not pinching our ball or disrupting, we bottled our own throws with not straight ball. Often when POC was planted on the ground. Must have been a Jedi mind trick, eh Thomo?

Once he gets into a hooker's head, he gets after them big-time. He's destroyed Rees like that in the past. There's something about the big baldy formerly-ginger head on him that just gives them yips.

To quote his immortal comment to Thompson; "C'mon, I'm huge, I'm ginger, you can't miss me, hit me again!"

Which Pop-Up Pirate promptly proceeded to do. :D

A

andrewl

I sat down and watched this game tonight and would like to congratulate Ireland on a clever win. As for Australia's predictability in play, attitude and discipline on the field, and the cockiness of several players in the Wallaby squad....I regret my feeling but want to say that many of you don't belong in a team that is charged with representing Australia on the international stage. Although some people might view this as being too harsh to say, you were an embarrassment to the nation and I only wish that Ireland won by a greater margin. The reason is because too many players in this team need a rude shock and a large dose of humility. Only then will this team deserve the respect that a great team would be worthy of. I certainly hope you didn't eat dinner after that poor game display and you went straight to bed and soaked up that loss and huge lesson. Then, get up in the morning after this game and redeem yourselves with discipline on the field, respect for your opposition and humility. Wake up Wallabies. Mr. Deans, can this message be read to the Wallabies at breakfast tomorrow, please!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Now I'll concede I'm an old bugger and somewhat conervative on selections when it comes to Test matches, but a backline that executes the skills well and regularly will always get my nod over the miracle ball. Beale off the bench when the defence is tiring is more exciting for me with Mitchell or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 is a safer. Mitchells rather large boot in a RWC will always be that safety net. But hey, it is not over, we just gotta work harder. Let's remember, it's the youngest squad in the tournament..............

I disagree completely with this. Sure Beale made some silly chips, but he was our best back. He was the only one who offered any penetration on a regular basis. He has probably become the safest under the high ball too.

So far this RWC, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has shown himself to be poor under the high ball and unable to make a pass at crucial times (or at any time really). Personally, I'd be giving him a spell on the pine. By never passing, he leaves the defence in no doubt.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Once he gets into a hooker's head, he gets after them big-time. He's destroyed Rees like that in the past. There's something about the big baldy formerly-ginger head on him that just gives them yips.

To quote his immortal comment to Thompson; "C'mon, I'm huge, I'm ginger, you can't miss me, hit me again!"

Which Pop-Up Pirate promptly proceeded to do. :D
Sorry, that's bollocks. TPN is always a "nervous" thrower, and no different tonight than ever he has been. POC was not the problem, the poor lineout throwing was. Most of the problems were not straight throws when Ireland did not even contest. As much as you would like to believe otherwise.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I disagree completely with this. Sure Beale made some silly chips, but he was our best back. He was the only one who offered any penetration on a regular basis. He has probably become the safest under the high ball too.

So far this RWC, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has shown himself to be poor under the high ball and unable to make a pass at crucial times (or at any time really). Personally, I'd be giving him a spell on the pine. By never passing, he leaves the defence in no doubt.

Has he once set up a support player on one of his counter attacks? And as for his high ball skills, in this game with heaps of them he caught 1 when he was under pressure and he kicked it. He was beaten or knocked on the others, when under pressure. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is as good as Beale is this aspect of play and I'm not saying he is great and the same goes for the passing game.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry, that's bollocks. TPN is always a "nervous" thrower, and no different tonight than ever he has been. POC was not the problem, the poor lineout throwing was. Most of the problems were not straight throws when Ireland did not even contest. As much as you would like to believe otherwise.

Agree with this, TPNs throwing is no different in this match to what it has been in the few games he has played all year. He was also clearly knackered by 60 minutes so why did he play 80?

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
My thoughts on the game:

We really missed Moore, both in the scrums and the lineout. Those who were calling for TPN to start over Moore must surely have changed their opinion now.

What was with the defense? Stand back and wait for the Irish to make the gain line. Our defensive line was hardly ever going forward, which meant they were always going forward into breakdowns.

Speaking of breakdowns, our forwards seemed to be watching and not contesting a lot of the time. I thought McCalman would have a good game but he was invisible and ineffective. I now expect him to be nowhere near the squad at the quarter final stage.

I didn't think our scrum was too bad, except our back row would come up too quick sometimes. It seemed to me that Lawrence had decided we were the weaker scrum, and whatever happened was our fault, which it often wasn't.

Beale needs to be banned from ever chip-kicking or grubbering again. He would do something good then just give the ball back with a stupid kick.

Apart from that, the Irish deserved to win while we didn't. I can almost (almost) handle losing to them, because at least they're not the Englsih.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)

That's what I mean; it's pressure on a thrower. You contest, early, hard; if he's nervous about his throw, he'll get worse, get more conservative (which means less useful ball), throw more not straight; it's like a batsman under pressure, every dot ball makes him more likely to throw a bat at it and get an edge. TPN started throwing more and more crooked to secure possession until even Bryce spotted it. And once that happens, it's death for a hooker with the yips, because he's between a rock and a hard place, the pressure kicks up even more, and the throwing will start to disintegrate. Rory Best, who had a fine game today, has gone exactly the same way in the past.

Get in his head, early, make him doubt, rack it up with each wobbly throw.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
well done ireland. I thought their pack was great and their backs applied the pressure in defence and the kicking pressure that was required to nullify the wobblies. that said, you boys didn't do yourselves any favours.
i know there are a lot of qld fans on here who rate Ant, but I just don't rate him at international level. he is solid on defence but doesn't offer anything else and that simply will not do at top tier level, particularly at the WC.
He is as good as gone. Pat McCabe will be good, but he's not quite international standard yet. what does he offer? yes you always know what you will get from him but that is part of the problem...you ALWAYS know what you will get. he's going to be a great player, but you guys need something more dynamic out of your 12/13 combo. I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has to be at 13. Barnes to 12.
that's your only remaining chance in my mind. they provide diversity of attack and quality defence.
For those of us who have bagged quade in the past, we generally bag him because he is an unnecessary risk taker. he is much like SBW in my mind, a lot of his amazing moves get pulled off against not as good opposition. in fact it often gets pulled off against quality opposition, but up against the best, the risks simply are not worth the reward.
that showed tonight.
what was he thinking with that intercept pass?
im not blaming the loss on him. but come on....WTF was that? absolutely amateur, immature, moronic. terrible decision. take the hit, don't be soft and recycle ball.
kurtley was poor. his ball retention was shocking.
the irish back row were superb. benefited from the ref a touch, yes. but absolutely outplayed the wallabies. radike was solid, but even still he was a shadow of his former self.
tough road ahead. SA in the quarters to NZ in the semi's (all according to plan...which doesnt count for much now!)

T

thedubs

I think as much as Quade Cooper can win a game he can also shoot you in the foot. He pushed a couple of shithouse passes....what was he thinking. Trying too hard to be the mesiah for the wallabies and counteract the negative NZ publicity on him. Also Deans needs to look at how the game is going and bring on his bench players earlier. Higginbotham on too late. Mitchell on too late, he should have come on for JOC (James O'Connor).

Rant over.

Thats the difference between the All Blacks and all other teams. The difference between Carter and Cooper. All players have to remain calm and not force it. Cooper tried way too hard to force tries. In two situations, each around 5M's out - then tried the SBW offload! Pressure and frustration did this, and Cooper needs to find a calm head for those situations.

As with all the rugby cliches, the fly half is the brains of the team. You need that player to be calm and controlled at all times or the teams stifled.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)

6) Fox commentary - are you blokes paid by the ARU? No? How about actually offering some critique for a change. I for one haven't bothered with the Rugby Club since the June tests simply because they are unable to offer any constructive critique of the Wallabies except to gush over how good the Wallabies are and applaud over the re-signing of Deans (and meekly accepting of the back room deal with JON) prior to them meeting the constantly changed KPIs of his employment. Not good for your ratings fellas, please ask some tough questions.

absolutely agree. they are shockingly biased. offer some useful commentary. i don't watch you to hear you cheer for australia. i want insight into the game.
possibly the worst commentary in the game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Has he once set up a support player on one of his counter attacks? And as for his high ball skills, in this game with heaps of them he caught 1 when he was under pressure and he kicked it. He was beaten or knocked on the others, when under pressure. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is as good as Beale is this aspect of play and I'm not saying he is great and the same goes for the passing game.
AS you, and others have probably said before, there is a lack of ability to draw and pass among these guys at times. Miracle balls are thrown, missing more often than not. Maybe too much "selfish" play with guys always trying to make the play, without realising that sometimes you take the tackle, and set up for the next play. McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Fainga'a don't pass often or well, Beale plays low percentage a lot, but looks by far the most dangerous on his own. Quade is great on the front foot, but really not so flash under the pump.
Anyway, we lost this up front. Pure and simple. Our backs looked threatening at times, whereas Ireland did not (nor did they have to). Close to parity up front, and we'd have won. We weren't in the same league.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Watching the game I would say, when I coached schoolboys I ALWAYS taught them that body position is almost everything for forwards at breakdown, how the hell did Wallabies let the Irish come in under them at ruck time, watch the replay and see what I mean, wallabies go over the ball and Irish players simply get better body position and win the contact area. As the man said, it ain't rocket science!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.