• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What McCalman will at least offer is reliability at the breakdown for us to secure our own ball and an attempt to slow down the Irish...

He won't get the pilfers, but if he does his job Elsom is capable in that department if the pair work in tandem...

T

tranquility

I hope he just does his job.. Wallabies to win it.

Qwerty, show a little faith mate. Fickleness is unbecoming.

G

GC

Palu & TPN O0 coming on late in the game; there's a lot of Irish hurt right there. Mitchell and Higgers to provide the speed. Our bench is sure looking awesome, if a little underdone.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's just kick the ball to Kearney late in the game and have Palu run at him...

Kaplan isn't reffing so there won't be any incorrect yellow cards...

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Dammit! I've just finished my tips with AUS to win by 25....guess it will only be 23 now!

The game will change but we'll still get up them, good to see some of the others getting a run as well...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Whilst not completely siding with Qwerty, I too have been worried about this game for a while. With Pocock out my concern has increased slightly. I am not saying we will lose, but I did just put $10 on Ireland at $5.50 as insurance...

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
What McCalman will at least offer is reliability at the breakdown for us to secure our own ball and an attempt to slow down the Irish...

He won't get the pilfers, but if he does his job Elsom is capable in that department if the pair work in tandem...

Deans made it clear when the squad was picked that the way the tackle/breakdown was being reffed now discouraged pilfers 'by hand', and influenced the back row selections towards size, speed and power to get turnovers through an immediate and physical presence driving over the tackled ball (and staying on thier feet). Elsom, McCalman, Samo & Higgers/Palu all bring that to the breakdown.

Edit: Something not being commented on as far as I can tell is that our tight 5 are more mobile and useful round the park than the Irish set, and have also been adding that grunt at the breakdown, and not just Vicks, all 5 are getting there fast. Getting forward asendancy is not just down to the backrowers.

Losing Pocock is not ideal, but we'll see if Deans (and plenty of other teams' coaches, including Ireland) was right in the mud tonight.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Will this be the biggest pack Australia have ever put on the park?

I added up the pack weights of the Wobs who beat the All Blacks in Brisbane and it came to 918kgs.

The ARU have a new set of RWC physical stats for the players and their weights have changed. For example Kepu went from 120 to 125 and Elsom from 112 to 106. Anyway, last weeks pack added up to 913kgs though the caption during the game against Italy mentioned 908kgs.

Taking the ARU figure of 913kgs and adding 5kgs - since McCalman is that much heavier than Pocock, it brings the weight up to 918kgs - which was the number we first thought of.

Whatever - they are big but more important is how big they play.

B

Burke's Boot

Its criminal that Beau or the excellent young Liam Gill weren't in the squad.

Deans made it clear when the squad was picked that the way the tackle/breakdown was being reffed now discouraged pilfers 'by hand', and influenced the back row selections towards size, speed and power to get turnovers through an immediate and physical presence driving over the tackled ball (and staying on thier feet). Elsom, McCalman, Samo & Higgers/Palu all bring that to the breakdown.

Edit: Something not being commented on as far as I can tell is that our tight 5 are more mobile and useful round the park than the Irish set, and have also been adding that grunt at the breakdown, and not just Vicks, all 5 are getting there fast. Getting forward asendancy is not just down to the backrowers.

Losing Pocock is not ideal, but we'll see if Deans (and plenty of other teams' coaches, including Ireland) was right in the mud tonight.

Look what the cat dragged in. Didn't know you were here!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I added up the pack weights of the Wobs who beat the All Blacks in Brisbane and it came to 918kgs.

The ARU have a new set of RWC physical stats for the players and their weights have changed. For example Kepu went from 120 to 125 and Elsom from 112 to 106. Anyway, last weeks pack added up to 913kgs though the caption during the game against Italy mentioned 908kgs.

Taking the ARU figure of 913kgs and adding 5kgs - since McCalman is that much heavier than Pocock, it brings the weight up to 918kgs - which was the number we first thought of.

Whatever - they are big but more important is how big they play.

After reading that stat, I'm convinced!!!

B

Burke's Boot

I heard you were over here hiding from Mat ;-)

Now you mention it GG would be a good place to hide as its only about rugby :) Keen to meet him when i return to the sauce, hopefully at the end of this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Something not being commented on as far as I can tell is that our tight 5 are more mobile and useful round the park than the Irish set

LHP Healey is the exception and hooker Best can get around a bit, but by and large you are right. POC could shift a bit in his younger days but no more and THP prop Ross is a pot plant though his handling has improved.

There's not a whole lot in it but the more important thing is that our T5 forwards are used to a higher tempo game than the Irish are. The key is whether the men in green can slow the game down to their pace legally. It's a skill they have worked on for years, especially the Munster guys; so it should not be a factor that is under-estimated.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i cant help but think qwertys reputation of insanely accurate predictions is on the line with tonights result...
if the wallabies can overcome the enormous threat that is ireland i cant help but fear qwertys credibility will be lost

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
This from the Eden Park website:

It is able to drain up to 75mm of rain per hour with is unique underground drainage system.

The weather report says Rainfall 0.6 mm in last 6 hours today with perhaps 10 or 12mm in a heavy fall this evening, so the pitch should be fairly firm notwithstanding.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
i agree with everything you say riptide, ur summary is dammning in its verdict & im a irish man praying 4 serious surgery in our product @ the moment!! our history is prity futile abroad & always seem to crumble in the melting pot when it matters most...& today matters most more than others, however im not sure pride & passion is goin to cut it againts thoroughbred's....we,d beat you @ irish dancing though!!

I will be quick to applaud through gritted teeth if Ireland proves me wrong, but I'll have greater concerns than giving Ireland there due if that comes to pass.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
While I don't think Ireland will be in any way easy, if the Wallabies cannot put them away, we are not really contenders. I really doubt Ireland will be there at the pointy end of this tournament, just can't see it. So, it is time for the Wallabies to make a statement. They should have Ireland's measure, but we know the Paddies always seem to be a tough nut for us to crack.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
News in from Tele journo Iain Payten is that Stephen Moore is out with illness.
TPN to start with S Fainga'a to the bench.

SHIT!

Status
Not open for further replies.