• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thedubs

But when has Irish provincial success (with players rested to target the HEC while the English and French get flogged to compete in their more attritional domestic comps) ever translated to success in the Test arena? You have won one 6N championships (or 5Ns/4Ns) since 1950. One! Yes, Ireland has improved since the arrival of the pro era for sure, but they were pretty poor.

So what guide should we use to give us an indication of Ireland's success at World Cup games against top quality SH Test sides? Recent success against SH teams? Success playing away from Dublin? Even by IRN rankings, Ireland are an 8th ranked Test team.

The French poster is right; Ireland simply cannot manufacture scoring opportunities to threaten the top sides. BOD's game has been slipping for years although he is still a forceful presence. Ireland are certainly capable of a big performance but there are so few nowadays and even another one on the back of a string of lousy performances will not be enough to beat this Wallaby side.

Yeah I know - Ireland of the amateur era would be the equivelent of a 20th ranked team in the world. One world class player, the other 14 on the pitch probably postmen in their spare time! Australia hadn't won a tri nations in eight years, it doesnt mean they're average. Just like Ireland not winning a Six nations during periods isnt the reflection of a bad team.

Leinster produce try scoring opportunitys all the time - Ireland dont. Well they dont as much as they should. Irelands backline has the individual talent to produce some oustanding moves given its variety. BOD is of average speed but his vision and passing is second to no other centre on the planet. Sextons the orchastrator. The backrow is one of the most mobile i've ever seen in my 20/21 years of watching rugby.

Ireland have the talent and resources to beat anybody. Thats obvious to any rugby viewer. Admitedly their record against SH teams at their homes isnt outstanding to say the least, but then again Ireland are perhaps the newest rugby superpower to arrive. Ireland have always had a rugby team for the competitions, but as you raised earlier its only the professional era that they have a team to challange. I'd argue psychological factors etc play a part. That said Australia have only narrowly got victorys against us in the past five years in sydney. The AB's are in the same position.

T

thedubs

Can you tell us the last time ireland beat anyone ranked higher than them away from home, or the last time they beat a SH team in the SH?

Spain had a terrible away record to big nations in football up until around 2006. They went onto win the Euro 2008 and World cup in 2010. Dont judge a team by its history, only its current. Thats its team and their skillsets, and perhaps the conditions and context their playing in.

A

Army_Gav

Its game day WOOT!

My first experience in enemy territory has been interesting none the less.

R

Rev Spooner

Worried about Pocock. Hope he can play. This is going to be one tough match. I'm actually feeling very nervous about this one. Ireland always bring it down to a slugfest and if our guys are just a little off the pace then we're in big trouble. Hope O'Connor has his kicking boot on today - we're gonna need it.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Am so f#cking pumped for this game. So many good things to see:
1. Drew Mitchell making his return to test rugby - Damn proud of the rooster, good to see all the hard work in rehab paid off.
2. Brian O'Driscoll vs Ant Fainga - the legend vs the one without girl hair.
3. SOB bullocking runs vs Samo runs - Is SOB all hype? an ancient tale of Gaelic Myth?
4. JOC (James O'Connor) return to starting side - predicting a big performance from rabbit, think missing the tri nations final has made him more hungry than before.
5. Kearney Vs Beale - Kearney is back and always seems to play well against us, will need Beale to start showing some of last years form.

R

Rev Spooner

SOB is the real thing. He's got that ability to make big breaks and score tries.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah I know, I've seen the youtube highlights. but I haven't seen him run at a fired up wallaby defence, I want to see if he can still dominate like he does in Europe

S

sicko'drico

i agree with everything you say riptide, ur summary is dammning in its verdict & im a irish man praying 4 serious surgery in our product @ the moment!! our history is prity futile abroad & always seem to crumble in the melting pot when it matters most...& today matters most more than others, however im not sure pride & passion is goin to cut it againts thoroughbred's....we,d beat you @ irish dancing though!!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Greaaaaaat. No openside flanker. Sure! Why would we need one? :tard

The funny thing is that I woke up this morning with a bad feeling about this one. The Irish are going to see this as their grand final, and we're going to be our usual complacent selves.

If we lose, it will make Pool D even more interesting. We would play the 1st placed team. They might start deliberately losing to each other!

R

Rev Spooner

Fucking hell - just what we didn't need. This game is quickly turning into a nightmare.

R

Rev Spooner

We would've taken Hodgson instead of Beau. So as it stands I prefer McCalman to Hodgson even though he's not an out and out fetcher.

B

BRIX

Should be fine boys, settle down. Although perhaps unrealistic to some, Mccalman would want his starting jersey back as much as O'connor did last week. Should have a belter

R

Rev Spooner

Pocock is gonna be missed - no doubt about it - but winning a RWC is about the depth in your squad and since we've lost 2 of our best this week it's up to the replacements to make sure that they aren't missed.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Very much looking forward to this one tonight. I am going to have to stay up late to watch this one live as opposed to recording it and watching the next morning. I think we will be fine even with the injuries and I am hoping that Mitchell & Palu get more than 10 minutes off the bench. I am sure it will a very physical game and I am hoping that the boys can get through it without any casualties. Don't care what the score is as long as we get a "W" on the match report and everyone is fit for next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.