• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wallabies flanker David Pocock to miss Rugby World Cup 2011 match against Ireland at Eden Park

By staff writers
FOX SPORTS

Wallabies flanker David Pocock has withdrawn from the team to play Ireland in the Rugby World Cup Pool C match at Eden Park on Saturday.

Pocock withdrew on Saturday due to soreness associated with a back strain.

Pocock's Western Force teammate Ben McCalman has been promoted into the starting XV to replace Pocock.

McCalma has played 14 Tests, but none as an openside flanker.

The promotion of the 23-year-old loose forward also paves the way for New South Wales Waratahs No 8 Wycliff Palu to be included on the bench, with Wallabies coach Robbie Deans opting to retain a five-forward, two-back split among his run on substitutes.

Palu has played 36 Tests, but none since the Wallabies defeated Wales 33-12 at the end of their 2009 Spring Tour of Europe. He missed all of last year’s international season, and this year’s Tri Nations, due to injury.

Pocock trained fully on Thursday, but he missed the captain’s run on Friday after waking up with soreness in his lower back. The issue has troubled the star loose forward before. He reported less discomfort on Saturday morning, but the improvement wasn’t enough to determine a readiness for him to play.

"It’s more of an on-going irritation than anything serious, scans have shown nothing sinister, but David is a key member of our group," Deans said.

"We would rather give him a bit of time to get it right before putting him back out there.

"Although Ben (McCalman) isn’t a recognised openside, he does have some recent background there and has trained in the role on a regular basis with us this year.

"We were looking to give him an outing on the openside before our pool program concluded; it’s now just come a bit earlier than we’d originally planned.

"He is well suited to the role, being strong around the contact area and good over the ball, which is a legacy of his time in the Australian Sevens program.

"He’s looking forward to the opportunity, and we believe in him. That’s why we opted to utilise him as David’s back-up when we looked at our selection mix for the squad."

McCalman has previously appeared at No 8 and blindside in Test matches, but he has showcased his versatility in Super Rugby by also featuring at lock.

Australia are chasing their first win at Eden Park since 1986, albeit not against New Zealand.

Ireland have never won at the famous ground."

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
big loss,but i think we should be ok.

hopefully mccalman aims up and i must say it's exciting to see palu back in the 22

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It will depend on the ref's interpretation, Bryce Lawrence, if he requires the tackler to release, a real fetcher won't be an issue.

If he allows a shit fight, then he will be greatly missed.

McCalman is a great defender and solid with ball in hand

P

potogold

Can you tell us the last time ireland beat anyone ranked higher than them away from home, or the last time they beat a SH team in the SH?
doesnt matter, it cant last forever. the last few matches between australia have been close. THATS what matters. who cares about other higher ranked teams when australia is the only one we have to contend with in the groups.
and anyways, it will probably feel like a home match for them, i hear the kiwis are up for them, and there are tonnes of irish down in OZ and NZ who will travel.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Weather hasn't been too bad so far today. Just on and off light showers with sunny periods in between. Just ran a Half marathon in it and conditions are a lot better than Sunday morning was before the Italy match anyway. Think it should stay this way for the rest of the day so good for Australia.

Pocock is a blow but we should still overcome Ireland. We beat the All Blacks a few weeks ago and took a lot of confidence from it. And aside from a scratchy win against the USA, who has Ireland beaten lately? Their fans and media can talk up their chances all they like, but when push comes to shove, this Wallabies team will get the job done.

I hope Rocky makes all those Irishmen's nightmares come true and has an absolute blinder.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Robbie's decision to rest Pocock is a very wise one, better to him him completely fit and firing for the important finals' matches than risk him against the Irish. Anyways, if "fringe" players aren't up to the challenge of an important match why send 30 players rather than 22? The quality of the whole squad will win us the RWC, not just the frontline few.

Elsom, McCalman and Samu, with some support from Palu and Higgers, will go just fine against the Paddies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well we were going to lose and this just confirms it. Can't remember us competing without Pocock in the last 3 years.

numbertwo

Peter Burge (5)
Tigerland I like your confidence!! Reading this thread has got me really wound up. This is what RWC is all about: anticipating another great match against Ireland. The two most important factors are the weather and the ref's interpretation of the breakdown as has already been said. More important though is how each team reacts to those factors. A bit of moisture won't bother the Irish at all and for the Aussies it depends a lot on the options QC (Quade Cooper) takes. With the ref for me that is the great unknown as I think the rulings around the breakdown and keeping the defending team onside in phase play has been quite inconsistent. With Pocock out it makes this game very hard to call. I can't remember how Lawrence went with the breakdowns in his last game. How did he run the breakdown??
Another interesting point is Finger v BOD. Finger has a tendency to come up out of the line in defense to make his hits. It creates space around him for angled runs especially from the blindside winger or 15. BOD is no fool and could really exploit this. Wow I'm excited!!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You're a very faithful supporter aren't you.

Fuck it, we will smash them by the same margin we beat Italy.

Or a realist? I've backed the Wallabies plenty of time when they've been up against it, got nothing to do with wishing they'll lose. I just think they will, we'll be outplayed by a much more desperate Irish side.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Or a realist? I've backed the Wallabies plenty of time when they've been up against it, got nothing to do with wishing they'll lose. I just think they will, we'll be outplayed by a much more desperate Irish side.

Mind you with you taking this stance you will either be right or happily wrong.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's strange to see a Wallabies side without a real fetcher. Sure our players in the past: Smith, Waugh and Pocock could do other things but for the last 10 years we've always had guys who were good with the ball on the ground. The Irish haven't had one of those for ages and the Boks didn't have one between Krige and Brussouw, but it's strange for an Oz team to be in that category.

I can't remember McCalman starting at 7 before even in his school days. At least both countries will have 7s who don't usually play there and methinks both teams will have moves around the scrum to take advantage of it.

Palu should be ready to go. He was part of a hard 45 minute dirt-tracker training session, straight after the game at North Harbour last Sunday. Phil Blake said the boys were all blowing pretty hard after it. That's not even counting what he did during the week. If he is OK to come from the bench (and he's the only backrower available anyhow) it could even work out better for Oz than playing with Pocock - provided we win, of course.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Very happy to see McCalman starting at 7 and getting a full game. He is constantly underated. Deans picks him for a reason. His job from 8 or as a replacement has to been to play a tight hard game and put grunt into the breakdown (cf Hong Kong last year). SOB this, SOB that, heavy blow to the Wallabies, blah blah blah, I hope he is reading all of that and is absolutely seething at the kick off ... our country boys tend to go well at Eden, I'm backing him to perform like a reincarnated Greg Cornelson and play SOB off the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.