• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: SAF v JAP (Brighton Stadium) Pool B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
I guess Jones got one over Heyneke for the 92-3 result back in 2007. He's an astute bugger, and some still believe he was exactly what we ourselves needed in 2007 to make the difference.

After the disappointment having settled down, huge congrats are in order to Japan - although we lost it, Japan did an awful lot right in order to win it too - they executed well and never gave up, not even close.

Loved this post.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154472292493849

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Japan played so smart - credit to them.

How effective were they at feeding their own scrums. They were clearly dominated but managed to get it out of the scrum in a flash. Australia can learn something from them if our scrum starts going backwards.

The accuracy in everything they did whether it was clear the rucks, make low hard hitting tackles on much bigger men, re-aligning in defence was superb. Technically and skill-fully they were clearly the better side.

This is a great reminder that size and strength is only secondary to accuracy, discipline and heart!

The best thing about this is they 100% deserved this win. It wasn't won off some poor referee decisions or some uncharacteristic mistakes by a Bok player - it was won by effort and skill.

This is why I love rugby!

Yes they played smart rugby to counter their smaller size / weight like as you say getting ball out of their scrum so fast....and moving the ball at speed as well to tire the opposition...

It was indeed a magical game as could not believe the skill they showed in attack and indeed moreso the commitment they showed in the defence especially knowing they are not a big physcial side....but were playing a top 3 nation who very much is....they were fearless in defence and played as a team that believed they could win it and it showed.

There self belief was undeniable and going behind they just came back stronger.....One of the truly great RWC games that will go down in folk law and not because it was such a huge upset but simply the way Japan played...

Think I have now watched the last 10 minutes of that game about 10 times to make sure i did not just dream that....we are talking about Japan beating South Africa right and scoring a truckload of tries against them?

Suspect there might be a few more interested in Japan's next game against Scotland and indeed Scotland a little bit more worried. But whatever that result can't take it away from Japan that they have produced one of the most memorable RWC games.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Held my breath and had a spastic channel surf for 4 mins around the telly channels to see if the biggest upset in rugby history has made a dent in the public consciousness, nope, nada. Just the same ol' menu of baseball, cooking shows, more cooking shows, baseball and that's your lot.

In 20 years I've never once seen a kid biffing a rugby ball around down at a park. Or even a rugby ball for sale in a shop. It's probably about as big as baseball is in NZ?

Havent spoken to a single local who even knew there was a World Cup for rugby starting this weekend.

Not as small as you think. Japan has the 4th largest number of registered rugby union players in the world. 12 professional teams. Been playing international rugby since 1912. Hosting the next world cup, it seems. You must've blinked and missed it. Easy to do when it's not on the cooking channel.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
SA has quite a problem on its hands with its hooker stocks. Bismark has gone from best player in the world 3 years go to now a complete liability. Dumb penalties is now his stock and trade.

And Strauss looks like he swallowed a wedding cake shaped like a pillow since peak form in 2014. But I'd still be starting Strauss. Decent discipline would have see SA home last night.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think us Western Force supporters can claim that win. I mean the Japanese side has the same amount of Force players as the Wallabies do

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
SA has quite a problem on its hands with its hooker stocks. Bismark has gone from best player in the world 3 years go to now a complete liability. Dumb penalties is now his stock and trade.

And Strauss looks like he swallowed a wedding cake shaped like a pillow since peak form in 2014. But I'd still be starting Strauss. Decent discipline would have see SA home last night.

Don't ride Bismark off yet. Not long ago he played very well against us! Outplayed Moore and caused havoc at the breakdown - I think subbing him so early was a reason we were able to get the last minute win.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Yes they played smart rugby to counter their smaller size / weight like as you say getting ball out of their scrum so fast..and moving the ball at speed as well to tire the opposition.

It was indeed a magical game as could not believe the skill they showed in attack and indeed moreso the commitment they showed in the defence especially knowing they are not a big physcial side..but were playing a top 3 nation who very much is..they were fearless in defence and played as a team that believed they could win it and it showed.

There self belief was undeniable and going behind they just came back stronger...One of the truly great RWC games that will go down in folk law and not because it was such a huge upset but simply the way Japan played.

Think I have now watched the last 10 minutes of that game about 10 times to make sure i did not just dream that..we are talking about Japan beating South Africa right and scoring a truckload of tries against them?

Suspect there might be a few more interested in Japan's next game against Scotland and indeed Scotland a little bit more worried. But whatever that result can't take it away from Japan that they have produced one of the most memorable RWC games.

Fair post, except for the tries... 2 tries = a truckload? Since when?

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Not as small as you think. Japan has the 4th largest number of registered rugby union players in the world. 12 professional teams. Been playing international rugby since 1912. Hosting the next world cup, it seems. You must've blinked and missed it.
Some numbers you just fuckin googled versus 20 years walking around this motherfucker. JUST SAYIN'.

babyangry_zpsze53upig.gif

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Some numbers you just fuckin googled versus 20 years walking around this motherfucker. JUST SAYIN'.

babyangry_zpsze53upig.gif

Yeah mate, but they're actual numbers.

I know this may seem like an outlandish idea, but maybe if you went to a match, or joined a club, you might see some rugby players?

Take some time out from watching the cooking channel. All that mercury in the tuna is bad for the liver.

Just sayin'. :)

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I guess Jones got one over Heyneke for the 92-3 result back in 2007. He's an astute bugger, and some still believe he was exactly what we ourselves needed in 2007 to make the difference.

After the disappointment having settled down, huge congrats are in order to Japan - although we lost it, Japan did an awful lot right in order to win it too - they executed well and never gave up, not even close.

Loved this post.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154472292493849

One of the best parts of this "story" is the benevolent way in which South Africans have handled the obvious disappointment of the loss. It shows a real strength of character I'm not sure I would possess.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is a great video from behind the Japan try line. Watch a couple of the fans pointing out the overlap on the left wing a number of phases before the final try. Poor defensive realignment by the Boks. Capped off a very inconsistent and mainly poor effort by the Boks. But also capped a pretty amazing error free test by the Japanese.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Held my breath and had a spastic channel surf for 4 mins around the telly channels to see if the biggest upset in rugby history has made a dent in the public consciousness, nope, nada. Just the same ol' menu of baseball, cooking shows, more cooking shows, baseball and that's your lot.

In 20 years I've never once seen a kid biffing a rugby ball around down at a park. Or even a rugby ball for sale in a shop. It's probably about as big as baseball is in NZ?

Havent spoken to a single local who even knew there was a World Cup for rugby starting this weekend.

Hold on a sec'. I thought you lived on Pitcairn Island. Cover blown

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There self belief was undeniable and going behind they just came back stronger...One of the truly great RWC games that will go down in folk law and not because it was such a huge upset but simply the way Japan played.

Think I have now watched the last 10 minutes of that game about 10 times to make sure i did not just dream that..we are talking about Japan beating South Africa right and scoring a truckload of tries against them?

Indeed a famous victory and test rugby produces so few of these upsets. Without overstating things, it seems that in this RWC the 2nd tier nations have made a general improvement and are tactically and skillfully much better than they have been in the past. Let's hope they can sustain it beyond the first round.

Scotland should be very worried - I'm not sure that they have the game to stop Japan if they play another match like that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Aren't the sado-masochistic games shows on anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.