• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: SAF v JAP (Brighton Stadium) Pool B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just watched this most amazing game (taped it as did not watch live but did not know result).

Would have to be one of the truly most courageous displays of rugby I have seen as this was true David and Goliath match up.

Japanese rugby side what they lacked compared to their opponents is size and height grew in size and stature by the way they played to make them giants - their tenacious committment in defence was unbelievable as was their self belief and skills they showed in attack.

A truly momentus day for Japanese Rugby. Have to be one of the greatest moments in world sport. What a contest - penalty on the depth to draw it and no they didn't go for the draw but to win it....and with that last try what a way to win it in way they played all day....

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just watched the replay again. A superb game by Japan. Overmatched in terms of physical stature and in terms of Rugby experience (considering the level of Rugby that the players are regularly exposed to in tests), Eddie Jones, Steve Borthwick and Del Maso take a huge bow. Technically the players showed very good skills and accuracy in everything they did and this allowed them to compete effectively. The heart took them the rest of the way.

Not taking anything away from Japan, but I think the Boks greatly underestimated, and disrespected the Brave Blossoms and were arrogant to a large degree. The disbelief on the faces of some of the most experienced Bok players as the Japanese first stayed with them and in then were in a position to win in final 10 minutes.

What a great advertisement for Rugby. The emotion of the players but especially the Japanese supporters with that win, and even with the first two Japanese tries was just marvellous.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I can't wait for the Samoa V SA game now. They will be thinking after their last RWC efforts against the Bok that they can take them. What would be the fall out if the Boks didn't make it out of the Pool Stages?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can't wait for the Samoa V SA game now. They will be thinking after their last RWC efforts against the Bok that they can take them. What would be the fall out if the Boks didn't make it out of the Pool Stages?

This result will either fire the Boks up to the extent that they sweep all before them in the rest of the pool matches, or it will be the beginning of a death spiral.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Foxsports News just showed the final try with Japanese commentary. Don't speak a word of it, but boy were they excited. Reminded me a bit of the famous Chilean (I think) soccer commentary of "Goooooooooaaaaaaal!!!!!'

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I watched the 2nd half in French at a Canadian airport and was almost in tears after the final whistle.

Japan were so well drilled and executed, and as others have pointed out, won fairly and on their own terms.

It epitomised everything that I love about this sport.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
goes to show that technical excellence, executed with smart play (players making the correct decisions) and commitment can move any mountain.
truly wonderful game
Eddie despite his critics has a great RWC record, he got Australia to the 2003 final and nearly won it, when in reality we were nowhere near as good on paper as England, South Africa or especially New Zealand. He has developed a style of play for the Japanese which executed well is hard to contain.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This result will either fire the Boks up to the extent that they sweep all before them in the rest of the pool matches, or it will be the beginning of a death spiral.

I don't know. Don't forget they lost for the first time ever against the Argentines, and did it at home as well. The game plan is pretty ordinary, discipline is poor.

Not suggesting that it won't be difficult, but I certainly don't see the Boks as the force they were in previous RWCs. They certainly are not France to play crap all year and just miraculously turn up one day and play a perfect game.

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
South Africa had the opportunity to close out the game at the 65th minute when they kicked to touch rather than take the 3 when leading 29-22. Great effort, game and atmosphere. I could have murdered a beer when I watched the replay at 7.00am this morning. Go Japan!

Other talking point should be Georgia. They smoked Tonga in the physicality stakes and have a strong pack and skill backline. They are my tip to cause further upsets in this Comp.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Amazing result. Perhaps the coming of age for rugby as a truly global sport.

Pool B is going to be a great scrap. Even the USA are a bit of a threat to these teams.

Thanks for the flattery mate but I really doubt it.

USA is a long way off putting in anything resembling the tightly executed "total rugby" approach of Japan today.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
As wonderful as it is, this may have implications for the Wallabies, because it increases the chances of SA coming 2nd in pool D, which means that if we win pool A then we'll face them in QF4. But bugger it. :)

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks for the flattery mate but I really doubt it.

USA is a long way off putting in anything resembling the tightly executed "total rugby" approach of Japan today.

Yeah I don't think this US team can play as well as Japan did, but Japan don't always play that well. If Samoa aren't at their best today and the US is then I think they'll have a chance. The margins really aren't that big.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
memo to NZ: that's what an old rugby team looks like. Bokke captain misses the tackle that lost them the game.

What an insane game. How did the bokkes lose? They looked to be scoring tries up the guts virtually at will. Think I even saw Chris Farley get on the scoreboard for them at one stage.

Chris-Farley-Black-Sheep-No-Idea_zpsh0nzeylc.gif

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Eddie despite his critics has a great RWC record, he got Australia to the 2003 final and nearly won it, when in reality we were nowhere near as good on paper as England, South Africa or especially New Zealand. He has developed a style of play for the Japanese which executed well is hard to contain.

oh, and i quite forgot his little cameo in helping "Jakeball" win in 2007

(not certain whether its etiquette on this forum to reply to yourself :oops:)

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
memo to NZ: that's what an old rugby team looks like. Bokke captain misses the tackle that lost them the game.

What an insane game. How did the bokkes lose? They looked to be scoring tries up the guts virtually at will. Think I even saw Chris Farley get on the scoreboard for them at one stage.

Chris-Farley-Black-Sheep-No-Idea_zpsh0nzeylc.gif

Is this big news in Japan? Or buried on page 17 beneath the under-6's baseball scores?

I hear you on the "old team" thing but to be fair it's hard to name the younger guys who should be there instead of, just saying, Woodcock & Mealamu.

Status
Not open for further replies.