• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: SAF v JAP (Brighton Stadium) Pool B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This has thrown a big spanner in the works.

You'd have to assume Japan can go on to win Pool B now.

They will face #2 in Pool A. #1 will likely face SA.

POOL OF DEATH just got more interesting.

Japan have still got three more must win games to top the pool. I reckon they'll lose at least one of them, just because they are not used to playing at 100% for four straight games and their opponents are roughly at their level. If SA win their last three it will come down to for and against etc. and I think they'll still top the group. But it is out of their hands, its Japan's to lose.

On balance of probabilities SA still win the group and therefore we still want to top our group for the easiest run into the final. SA usually beat England while we struggle with them, so optimum for us is to win the group and see how the cards fall.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Samoa and Scotland will be aiming up at South Africa even more now as now they can't rely on getting that second spot.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Wonderful wonderful game of Rugby.

Changes nothing for us. I've always said, and I think Cotter put it out there at some point, that we simply had to win our first 2 games, then assess our pool to see what we need to qualify.

Bit more nervy for Wednesday now, but it's the short break for the Japanese, hopefully that'll play into our favour.

kaze33

Stan Wickham (3)
We saw some alarming signs like the 37-25 defeat in Durban against Argentina.

Bad time for Boks :( We all hope that they come back quickly at their best.

Congrats to the Japan , it's not a little victory against a little SA team;)

In few years, may be a "Five nations" with New Zeland, Australia, South Africa, Argentina and Japan ?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
How good was the Japanese body height? They were always getting over the ad line. The speed and movement of the ball was beautiful to watch.

I never thought I could ever compliment Jones after his Reds stint but well done Eddie on getting the Blossoms to play to their strengths and play this rugby today, I'll be re watching this game many times over the next few weeks.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Holy Fuck!!!! Man I would like to say I saw it coming, but god would strike me dead for being such a liar!!
Before I go further to Blue, Dewald Nel and other passionate SA supporters, sorry fellas, I imagine it not feeling good at moment, you can still win the pool though, but I suspect you still feeling gutted, I know I would be if it was ABs.
Japan, that is what sport is about, fuck reputations or what anyone else expects you to do, give it everything you got and sometimes the gods will smile on you. How the hell the poor buggers are meant to get back up for another game on wednesday is asking hell of a lot, shows how unfai draw is sometimes. Add in Georgia's result over Tonga last night and
The World Cup is ON!!

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
Even knowing the score, I choked up watching that last try. There will be more upsets in this and future World Cups as the professional game and demand for players grows.
My son asked me why Japan won and I told him they trained hard, had a game plan, executed, and worked harder than they ever thought they could.
I honestly had to check the date when I saw the headline thinking it was some sort of April fools day joke.
Well done Japan and I'd had to be SA's next opponent.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Also meant to add, thought Letich had a huge game, and I have to say I enjoyed Gordon Bray commentating, funny I became a fan of his commentating in last world cup, and he continues to impress me.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I hope this win is the catalyst for the JRFU getting its shit together with Super Rugby and RWC19. Eddie Jones has to be rethinking a move to the political basket case that is SARU.

Commiserations to SA, but there has been something wrong for a few years now. It's like all the political mind games has ever so slightly crushed the Bok belief. You only need to lose 1% of your belief in a game like rugby and you're vulnerable. And then Henyeke picks a bunch of old age pensioners to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.