• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: SAF v JAP (Brighton Stadium) Pool B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes given how close the game was still at that stage I was somewhat surprised (understatement) at that decision

But would it really have changed the way that Japan played those final 15 minutes? We'll never know, but even at 32-22 they would have scored their try for 32-29 and then the final one for 34-32. I think South African supporters are clutching at straws with that one.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
http://www.worldrugby.org/worldrugbytv/video/95171

Eddie Jones - post game press conference "My dream is to be like Clive Woodward." :)

Great to see him enjoying the game again. A couple of years ago he torn strips off the Japanese players and Captain in a very in a similar interview post game. A huge amount of work by Jones, Borthwick, Marc dal Maso and the rest of the staff to help these players reach their potential.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Japan played so smart - credit to them.

How effective were they at feeding their own scrums. They were clearly dominated but managed to get it out of the scrum in a flash. Australia can learn something from them if our scrum starts going backwards.

The accuracy in everything they did whether it was clear the rucks, make low hard hitting tackles on much bigger men, re-aligning in defence was superb. Technically and skill-fully they were clearly the better side.

This is a great reminder that size and strength is only secondary to accuracy, discipline and heart!

The best thing about this is they 100% deserved this win. It wasn't won off some poor referee decisions or some uncharacteristic mistakes by a Bok player - it was won by effort and skill.

This is why I love rugby!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Here's a thing for anyone interested in betting. Japan is now in a good position to top Pool B. If they can beat Scotland then they're a favourite to do so. I just got on them at 29.00 to top the pool, which seems to be the wrong price after today's result. A technical investor could back them now then hedge by backing Scotland against them to win back their initial stake. If they beat Scotland on Wednesday there's the option of laying off your bet to take a profit straight away, since that 29.00 will then fall to single figures. In this case, the slow reaction of the market to the implications of this result seems to have created an opportunity to print some money.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
How effective were they at feeding their own scrums. They were clearly dominated but managed to get it out of the scrum in a flash. Australia can learn something from them if our scrum starts going backwards.

The almost lost art of channel one ball. I loved seeing it.:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Here's a thing for anyone interested in betting. Japan is now in a good position to top Pool B. If they can beat Scotland then they're a favourite to do so. I just got on them at 29.00 to top the pool, which seems to be the wrong price after today's result. A technical investor could back them now then hedge by backing Scotland against them to win back their initial stake. If they beat Scotland on Wednesday there's the option of laying off your bet to take a profit straight away, since that 29.00 will then fall to single figures. In this case, the slow reaction of the market to the implications of this result seems to have created an opportunity to print some money.

On that performance they should beat Scotland - the proviso being that they get their emotions under control and play as they did against the Boks.

The Samoa game will be interesting as, if nothing else, this win has given everyone in the pool a look at the quarters.

One thing that seems to have passed most people by in the euphoria of the Japan win, is that South Africa got 2 bonus points from the match - so they are by no means out of contention for winning the group.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
http://www.worldrugby.org/worldrugbytv/video/95171

Eddie Jones - post game press conference "My dream is to be like Clive Woodward." :)

Great to see him enjoying the game again. A couple of years ago he torn strips off the Japanese players and Captain in a very in a similar interview post game. A huge amount of work by Jones, Borthwick, Marc dal Maso and the rest of the staff to help these players reach their potential.

All credit to Eddie, written off by many, I rate him as a coach and Japan is a good fit for him.

Does he really want to be like Clive though?;)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Did anyone notice the Japanese players excitedly running over to Jones as he walked to the post match interview?

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Is this big news in Japan? Or buried on page 17 beneath the under-6's baseball scores?
Held my breath and had a spastic channel surf for 4 mins around the telly channels to see if the biggest upset in rugby history has made a dent in the public consciousness, nope, nada. Just the same ol' menu of baseball, cooking shows, more cooking shows, baseball and that's your lot.

In 20 years I've never once seen a kid biffing a rugby ball around down at a park. Or even a rugby ball for sale in a shop. It's probably about as big as baseball is in NZ?

Havent spoken to a single local who even knew there was a World Cup for rugby starting this weekend.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah I tried to buy a club jersey when I was over there.... Impossible (for me)

But fortunately for rwc2019 the japs love a fad, and like Pokemon if they get behind it, it will immense. Esp. With short flights and no jet lag issues!!!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
On that performance they should beat Scotland - the proviso being that they get their emotions under control and play as they did against the Boks.

The Samoa game will be interesting as, if nothing else, this win has given everyone in the pool a look at the quarters.

One thing that seems to have passed most people by in the euphoria of the Japan win, is that South Africa got 2 bonus points from the match - so they are by no means out of contention for winning the group.

That's right, although they really want Japan to lose a game. Relying on 3 winning BPs to draw ahead while Japan get none (or 2 winning BPs plus points for and against) is a long shot. If Japan beat Scotland, the Boks' fate isn't in their own hands any more.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Held my breath and had a spastic channel surf for 4 mins around the telly channels to see if the biggest upset in rugby history has made a dent in the public consciousness, nope, nada. Just the same ol' menu of baseball, cooking shows, more cooking shows, baseball and that's your lot.

In 20 years I've never once seen a kid biffing a rugby ball around down at a park. Or even a rugby ball for sale in a shop. It's probably about as big as baseball is in NZ?

Havent spoken to a single local who even knew there was a World Cup for rugby starting this weekend.

Maybe I was there for a rugby tournament, but I saw some blokes in rugby tracksuit, and a few teams training the local parks in Osaka and Nara. I guess Byron Kellaher's presence in the East Pitcairns have put the local parents off letting their kids play laguby.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's right, although they really want Japan to lose a game. Relying on 3 winning BPs to draw ahead while Japan get none (or 2 winning BPs plus points for and against) is a long shot. If Japan beat Scotland, the Boks' fate isn't in their own hands any more.

I think if teams are tied on points the position is decided by the head to head. For and against only comes into it if 3 teams are tied and A beat B, B beat C, C beat A.

That said, if South Africa did get 3 bonus point victories and Japan won all their games without a bonus point they would be ahead, and it would be so wrong. Pretty unlikely though.

Status
Not open for further replies.