• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: SAF v JAP (Brighton Stadium) Pool B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
It'll be really interesting to see Japan try to qualify for the Quarters from here. Based on what we've seen to date, Japan should beat the US. That means they'll need a win against either Scotland or Samoa. That's still a fairly big mountain to climb. There is every chance that they'll still fail to finish top 2, which makes things all the more interesting for the fans.

It remains to be seen whether they'll be able to replicate Saturday's form. Although at the moment you'd have to at least rate Japan a chance of beating Samoa.

I think most neutral fans will now be on the Japan bandwagon. I certainly am.

If they play the same way against Scotland as they did against South Africa, they should win. We'll know soon enough. It's on before the Wobs on Wednesday.

The message of the weekend is that the gap between the minnows and the first-tier nations has narrowed considerably.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Seb please don't think i am being personal in saying that there is absolutely nothing we should try and learn from Eddy at scrumtime.

There was also absolutely nothing we should try and learn from Eddy about playing two sevens.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If they play the same way against Scotland as they did against South Africa, they should win. We'll know soon enough. It's on before the Wobs on Wednesday.

The message of the weekend is that the gap between the minnows and the first-tier nations has narrowed considerably.
I think many of the minnows have improved,but there are a couple of 'tier 1' nations that might be there on reputation only.
SA appears to be in terminal structural decay,and Scotland are consistently weak.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Comments from Jones suggested he only expected to be challenging against the Boks and they were actually targeting the other games for wins.

Which suggests to me they always planned on putting out a strong or stronger side against Scotland and Samoa.

Certainly fills me with a lot of confidence in Japan.

The team against South Africa was pretty much their strongest. With the possible exception of the props. Everything I've heard from Jones in the lead up is that he wants to play his best team every game. He did against South Africa to build confidence. He didn't really expect to win but he thought if they played a B team and lost by 40 it'd negatively effect the confidence of the squad going into the Scotland match.

I think some tier 2 teams outsmart themselves playing weakened teams. Canada did against Ireland and got hammered worse than they should have been. They don't even have a really short turnaround for their 2nd game against Italy. I think it's bizarre personally and if I was a top player in one of these teams it'd piss me off a lot being rested when fit for such a big match. Good on Japan for having a crack and showing just how good they can be.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
One of the best parts of this "story" is the benevolent way in which South Africans have handled the obvious disappointment of the loss. It shows a real strength of character I'm not sure I would possess.

For most of us we rather see it as a blessing that we've been able to keep our rugby respectable for so long after 1994 - it should've been dead in the water like Zim's already.

Of course Cosatu is calling for Meyer's resignation again this morning, even more showing that clueless muppets should stay out of sport, but what can we do. Competitive sporting idealists are way outnumbered by transformation agents in this country.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I think many of the minnows have improved,but there are a couple of 'tier 1' nations that might be there on reputation only.
SA appears to be in terminal structural decay,and Scotland are consistently weak.
SA has lost so many players overseas for whatever reason. Can they really go on telling 18 year olds that they are too small to play rugby in SA only to see those players emigrate with a point to prove elsewhere. Looking at that tired, fat, old front row knowing that one of the strongest young tight heads in the world has chucked in his lot with another country after being told he never had a chance because he was too small would gall me if I was South African. Watching Wiehan Herbst take Ayerza to the cleaners twice last season I thought to myself, fuck SA must have some beasts coming through. Obviously not.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
This is a result of unimaginative coaching, unimaginative selection and a game plan that was in vogue when the ox wagon was in use.

After that game Samoa and Scotland will be seeing SA as can win matches. Samoa will be a brutal game.

If I must take a positive it is that Eddie will be coaching the Stormers next year.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Now that the dust has settled, wasn't it good to see both commentators adding something to the match, without filling the air with bullshit (big improvement from G. Bray), and being respectful to both sides. Take note, ITV cheersquad.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Now that the dust has settled, wasn't it good to see both commentators adding something to the match, without filling the air with bullshit (big improvement from G. Bray), and being respectful to both sides. Take note, ITV cheersquad.

The ITV commentators were bad, very bad. Their obvious hate for anything Springbok was ridiculous and bordering pathetic. I muted the sound even before half time, because it was just dreadful.

And then during the AB-Arg game we had the same muppet and he was still carrying on about how shocking the Bok loss was.

If ever I wished I could teleport a frying pan into somebody's head..........

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The ITV commentators were bad, very bad. Their obvious hate for anything Springbok was ridiculous and bordering pathetic. I muted the sound even before half time, because it was just dreadful.

And then during the AB-Arg game we had the same muppet and he was still carrying on about how shocking the Bok loss was.

If ever I wished I could teleport a frying pan into somebody's head....
Ah now, cmon. Japan beating SA has to be one of the greatest upsets in the history of sport and has electrified the tournament. It must have been painful listening to the commentary during the game but to expect the man to not refer back to it when Argentina were leading NZ is a bit unrealistic.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
^^Especially when you got De Allende as an option. If he played anything like he did against the Brumbies in the finals of super rugby then I doubt Japan would have been able to stop him - and then having Kriel running off him is a scary thought.

de Allende and Kriel cut our team to pieces in the RC and I thought then that it was a changing of the guard. They will be the no. 1 centre pairing in world rugby but de Allende will have to wait till after the WC for JdV to retire.

SA keep their heroes for too long. Look at how long Smit was kept as captain when he could barely scrum anymore.

Two years ago I thought Serfontein would be world class but he has been seriously overtaken.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

If ever I wished I could teleport a frying pan into somebody's head....
It's gonna get a lot worse. Just wait til gusset, invertwat lord bald and Ian monkey felcher Robertson start fawning over orcland in the run up to wales game and on and for as long as they stay in. Nothing whatsoever to do with comparative viewing figures of course! I'm afraid you're only getting what the Celtic fringe experience every year. Makes beating them all the better tho

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Ah now, cmon. Japan beating SA has to be one of the greatest upsets in the history of sport and has electrified the tournament. It must have been painful listening to the commentary during the game but to expect the man to not refer back to it when Argentina were leading NZ is a bit unrealistic.

It was ridiculous mate. The way they tried to get under our skins was ridiculous. Being biased when your team is involved is almost acceptable, but when it's 2 neutral nations, a true professional will not let his hate get in the way.

I miss Bill McLaren.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
It's gonna get a lot worse. Just wait til gusset, invertwat lord bald and Ian monkey felcher Robertson start fawning over orcland in the run up to wales game and on and for as long as they stay in. Nothing whatsoever to do with comparative viewing figures of course! I'm afraid you're only getting what the Celtic fringe experience every year. Makes beating them all the better tho

Yeah I feel sorry for you guys. It's like England are the rich cousin and you guys just have to settle for seconds.

Please wollop the English.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
It was ridiculous mate. The way they tried to get under our skins was ridiculous. Being biased when your team is involved is almost acceptable, but when it's 2 neutral nations, a true professional will not let his hate get in the way.

I miss Bill McLaren.
I am with you on that. I watch a lot of rugby in Welsh, Irish and Scots Gallic, none of which I speak, and enjoy that a lot more than any English language commentators who are all agenda and bias driven.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I agree Cardiffblue but rugby commentary of the pro12 on BBC Wales can be more than a little Cycloptic. And having to listen to that slanderous Ickle prick Shane Williams during this RWC doesn't do much for my blood pressure. Still hoping you beat the Orcs on Saturday though.

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)
The real criminal aspect to this game was Meyer dropping de Allende for de Villiers.

That, and not taking any fetcher in the backrow. The Japanese were allowed to string phases like a shell bead on leather cord. Brussouw or Coetzee would have been handy to frustrate them at the breakdown.

Also, how Kolisi made this squad is beyond me. Doesn't bring anything. Not sure this can be solely blamed on transformation as Mohoje had a great season with the Cheetahs and had already been in the Bok environment.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Kolisi made the squad over Brussow. Just let that sink in for a few moments.

We all know why that happened. And @Relance Mohoje was shocking when he came on for the Boks this year, to say the least. I'd go as far as to say he had at least 50% responsibility for us losing against Australia from a relatively good position.

Status
Not open for further replies.