• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: SAF v JAP (Brighton Stadium) Pool B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Really? I can't see SA getting out of the group now. This wasn't a one off, something isn't right with SA at the moment. This last year has stank for them. If they had a fantastic year and had a shock here against Japan I'd be backing them to bounce back but all is not well with them.

I can see them going the way of Ireland in 2007 and having a group stage exit. It won't be a reflection of the quality of the team, it will be a reflection of broader issues within the camp and the SARU as a whole, possibly even higher than that with the political mess that's going on.

You are probably right. I'm not holding my breath.

But I'm sure as hell gonna enjoy this world cup personally, and that includes supporting the Boks, come hell or highwater. I will be shouting as hard this Saturday as I did last Saturday.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Japan beat Scotland tomorrow then they should top the pool. Samoa and USA are both serviceable teams but nowhere near the standard Japan showed against the Boks. Japan appear to have stepped up a gear from their Pacific Nations form.

Personally I think Japan will deal with Scotland.

The way Japan played against SA was just so unexpected as their recent form going into this was 2 last warm up games where lost game against USA and winning against Georgia 13-10

That is where one wonders it was just an anomoly where they mentally were on song for the big occaision and played the right game plan which was unfortunate for the Boks.

Time will tell......hope it is more than a one hit wonder for Japanese but lets wait and see as will soon find out I guess

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The way Japan played against SA was just so unexpected as their recent form going into this was 2 last warm up games where lost game against USA and winning against Georgia 13-10

That is where one wonders it was just an anomoly where they mentally were on song for the big occaision and played the right game plan which was unfortunate for the Boks.

Time will tell..hope it is more than a one hit wonder for Japanese but lets wait and see as will soon find out I guess

Rugbynutter, I think it was more than just a gameplan. They executed perfectly. Playing with sufficient passion can sometimes be a variable. Playing with accuracy should be able to be repeated over and over again. Their second-last try was superbly skilled. I don't personally put much stock in warm-up games. You never know what's going on in the background, such as brutal training regimes.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
You never know what's going on in the background, such as brutal training regimes.

According to Craig Wing from an interview in the SMH: "We've been in camp since April because the Japanese competition doesn't start until after the World Cup and I've never had such a fully booked out training schedule. There were times when we train three or four times a day and on some days we started at 6am and that's by design. It's the Japanese culture. During our camp we didn't get days off, you got half days off here and there. I don't know too many Aussie teams where the guys would cop that but the Japanese do it without complaint."

I've heard they didn't back off on the training until the last couple of weeks.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
According to Craig Wing from an interview in the SMH: "We've been in camp since April because the Japanese competition doesn't start until after the World Cup and I've never had such a fully booked out training schedule. There were times when we train three or four times a day and on some days we started at 6am and that's by design. It's the Japanese culture. During our camp we didn't get days off, you got half days off here and there. I don't know too many Aussie teams where the guys would cop that but the Japanese do it without complaint."

I've heard they didn't back off on the training until the last couple of weeks.

I really hope they knock off Scotland. I actually like the Scots but seeing Japan potentially top the pool would be marvelous.

dru

David Wilson (68)
We'll start talking in terms of hemispheres if Japan keeps playing like that. Go get the Scots, boys.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My guess

1. Trevor Nyakane
2. Schalk Brits
3. Frans Malherbe
4. Lood de Jager
5. Eben Etzebeth
6. Francois Louw
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen (c)
9. Rudy Paige
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Damian de Allende
13. Jesse Kriel
14. JP Pietersen
15. Willie le Roux

16. Bismarck Du Plessis
17. Tendai Mtawarira
18. Coenie Oosthuizen
19. Pieter-Steph du Toit
20. Schalk Burger
21. Fourie du Preez
22. Handre Pollard
23. Jean de Villiers

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
My guess

1. Trevor Nyakane
2. Schalk Brits
3. Frans Malherbe
4. Lood de Jager
5. Eben Etzebeth
6. Francois Louw
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen (c)
9. Rudy Paige
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Damian de Allende
13. Jesse Kriel
14. JP Pietersen
15. Willie le Roux

16. Bismarck Du Plessis
17. Tendai Mtawarira
18. Coenie Oosthuizen
19. Pieter-Steph du Toit
20. Schalk Burger
21. Fourie du Preez
22. Handre Pollard
23. Jean de Villiers

The so-called "journalist" now infers on Facebook that something was said by some players against Matfield and de Villiers, so they were axed. So my guess is De Villiers and Matfield would both be there.

Apparently the biggest shocks are at midfield and lock.

Pure conjecture, but I'm guessing de Villiers at 12, Kirchner at 13, and Vermeulen at lock.

Otherwise the above tweet is nothing but sensationalism and trying to drive traffic to his rugby site.

If it's something like Du Toit at lock and Pietersen at centre then this fraud should have his bloody journalistic license taken from him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hmm so not much as changed because Matfield and JdV were probably the two worst players vs Japan. They've got to go.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Heard through the wineyards (after visiting the wine cellars) the Bok team will be: Willie, Habana, JdV, Allende, JPP, Pollard, FdP, Duanne, Schalk, Flo, Etsebeth, Matfield, Jannie, Bismarckt, Beast.

Probably the best we'll get out of the squad.:(

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well Vermuluan if fit, along with Etzebeth will make a notable difference in the forwards. Those guys are world XV players.

I would be happy if de Allende gets a shot, that guy is exciting to watch.

Keeping JdV is a poor call.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Heard through the wineyards (after visiting the wine cellars) the Bok team will be: Willie, Habana, JdV, Allende, JPP, Pollard, FdP, Duanne, Schalk, Flo, Etsebeth, Matfield, Jannie, Bismarckt, Beast.

Probably the best we'll get out of the squad.:(

And the country. The reality is we don't have better available. Our best team finished 7th in Super rugby. If we thought we can make a world cup winning effort out of that, we were delusional.

I never expected us to go past the semi-final before the tournament started. It's time we're honest with where we're at.

But doesn't mean my support is dwindling. Just being realistic.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Springboks – 15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jean de Villiers (c), 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Beast Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Schalk Brits,17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Jesse Kriel.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Nah. States and Canucks are Southern Hemisphere too. All those rich, and up and coming nations are SH, and so are the Pacific Islands. The NH is real boring, it's just the 6 Nations and couple of former soviet states.

Status
Not open for further replies.