• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: SAF v JAP (Brighton Stadium) Pool B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)
We all know why that happened. And @Relance Mohoje was shocking when he came on for the Boks this year, to say the least. I'd go as far as to say he had at least 50% responsibility for us losing against Australia from a relatively good position.

Sure, but at least he had a good Super Rugby season and an ok AI series. I would still have him ahead of Kolisi (like a good dozen SA flankers). And I find odd that they didn't take a replacement number eight when Whiteley was in great form. Anyway, can't wait for Saturday. Gonna be absolutely brutal.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Sure, but at least he had a good Super Rugby season and an ok AI series. I would still have him ahead of Kolisi (like a good dozen SA flankers). And I find odd that they didn't take a replacement number eight when Whiteley was in great form. Anyway, can't wait for Saturday. Gonna be absolutely brutal.

He was OK in Super Rugby last year. This year not so much.

And we're probably gonna get killed on Saturday, but sneak it. De Allende will probably get picked now but get injured and we're back to De Villiers for Scotland.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Haven't read all the thread, but does anyone share my opinion that even Willie is a liability in defence at times, he is still invaluable for the Springbok attack as a second playmaker and overall magic trick producer?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Yeah, SA won't lose another pool game. This would have been the kick in the arse they need and they still have too much talent for the rest.

Japan will probably win two more and duke it out with Scotland for second spot in the pool on points.

Such is life.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Yeah, SA won't lose another pool game. This would have been the kick in the arse they need and they still have too much talent for the rest.

Japan will probably win two more and duke it out with Scotland for second spot in the pool on points.

Such is life.

I hope you're right. Maybe I'm just thinking too much about our recent past - we've won 3 out of the last 9, and 2 of those are Italy and Argentina. Not a good run of form at all.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
I think the 2nd team going through in pool b will be decided on Wednesday night when Japan plays the Scots, if Japan win it will be them and SA to go into the quarter finals. I dont think that SA can play that badly again.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think the 2nd team going through in pool b will be decided on Wednesday night when Japan plays the Scots, if Japan win it will be them and SA to go into the quarter finals. I dont think that SA can play that badly again.

So Samoa has no chance?

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
Japan were sensational but I still think that game will be an anomaly and will have taken a lot out of them. I think normal service will be resumed now and SA will win all remaining pool games and Japan will not beat Scotland or Samoa. 2nd place will come down to Scotland v Samoa as most predicated at the start of the tournament.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Japan were sensational but I still think that game will be an anomaly and will have taken a lot out of them. I think normal service will be resumed now and SA will win all remaining pool games and Japan will not beat Scotland or Samoa. 2nd place will come down to Scotland v Samoa as most predicated at the start of the tournament.
This is exactly how the punters see things falling out. Japan much longer odds than Scotland or Samoa to qualify , with SA still favourites

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The footage of one of the security guard at the ground pumping his fist and jumping up and down after the final try was fantastic.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
I understand that Samoa and Scotland are favoured over Japan, but Samoa didn't really impress me in their first game and Scotland have been all that good lately. I know that they have improved but I just loved the way Japan just went about their work against SA.
Maybe we can have Samoa and Japan finish top of pool B

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Bonus points could matter a lot in this game. If Scotland beats Japan (expected), and both beat the US and Samoa, and Scotland loses to SA, second place will come down to the BPs earned. If Japan can stay within 7, it should be considered a very good result for them. South Africa picking up the double bonus point against Japan puts them in pretty good shape to top the group still if Scotland get up in this one.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
If Japan beat Scotland tomorrow then they should top the pool. Samoa and USA are both serviceable teams but nowhere near the standard Japan showed against the Boks. Japan appear to have stepped up a gear from their Pacific Nations form.

Personally I think Japan will deal with Scotland.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
The feeling I get is that we'll sneak past Samoa, Scotland will smash us by 15-20, and we'll run riot against the USA to just sneak into second place ahead of Japan to finish second behind Scotland. We won't get past the quarter final vs. England.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
The feeling I get is that we'll sneak past Samoa, Scotland will smash us by 15-20, and we'll run riot against the USA to just sneak into second place ahead of Japan to finish second behind Scotland. We won't get past the quarter final vs. England.
Big call giving pool a to the orcs! Youve been watching too much itv!

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)

Such is life.

Really? I can't see SA getting out of the group now. This wasn't a one off, something isn't right with SA at the moment. This last year has stank for them. If they had a fantastic year and had a shock here against Japan I'd be backing them to bounce back but all is not well with them.

I can see them going the way of Ireland in 2007 and having a group stage exit. It won't be a reflection of the quality of the team, it will be a reflection of broader issues within the camp and the SARU as a whole, possibly even higher than that with the political mess that's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.