• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The original named center pairing offered nothing in attack anyway.

I disagree. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at least occasionally runs good lines and makes a break (look at the try last year against SA). He also has a decent right hand fend. Which is more then both McCabe and Fainga which havnt offered much in attack. I cant remember either of them breaking the line. Im worried. I hope Horne can come on and at least make some breaks and offloads.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I disagree. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at least occasionally runs good lines and makes a break (look at the try last year against SA). He also has a decent right hand fend. Which is more then both McCabe and Fainga which havnt offered much in attack. I cant remember either of them breaking the line. Im worried. I hope Horne can come on and at least make some breaks and offloads.

Have a horrible feeling they are going to find it tough going out wide and as the game wears on they'll revert to one out runners and kicking for position -bit lie antimony described earlier

I

Ilie Tabua's Shadow

Cardiffblue you're turning in a truly epic performance on GAGR Forum in the last twelve hours. (Or did you get a sleep like me?)

Anyways, all the best to you for the semi.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Bit different facing breaks at FB to facing Nonu every time they move it wide. It'd be relentless and the por sod who isnt reknowned for tackling would be either 1) roadkill or 2) off for a spear tackle. Better option is stay as they are with option of bringing on Banes either for cooper if he is really pants, or McCabe if he is buggered.

All good points, particularly the part where you used 'pants' as an adjective.

The optimist in me thinks Nonu is going to be making breaks regardless of who is opposite him. McCabe was great against the big saffa forwards, but Nonu is another step up from that. His pace and (particularly) his lateral movement mean McCabe will have to be stretching to tackle him, and doing that with a bung shoulder is going to hurt like hell. I think Pocock might spend a lot of time watching Nonu in midfield, just in case.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
All good points, particularly the part where you used 'pants' as an adjective.

The optimist in me thinks Nonu is going to be making breaks regardless of who is opposite him. McCabe was great against the big saffa forwards, but Nonu is another step up from that. His pace and (particularly) his lateral movement mean McCabe will have to be stretching to tackle him, and doing that with a bung shoulder is going to hurt like hell. I think Pocock might spend a lot of time watching Nonu in midfield, just in case.

What we really need is for Elsom, Kepu, Samo and Horwill to get out in that channel fast from broken play and nail the AB runners, hopefully behind the gain line. McCabe will have to do it off set piece, but we need 1 of those 4 (selected on grounds of pace over Moore, Alexander and Vicks) to do the work, with Pocock arriving second and the other three up his clacker to effect a turnover.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Before the two semis kick off in a couple of hours I'd like to congratulate New Zealand on putting on a very enjoyable Rugby World Cup. There's a lot to be said for the RWC going somewhere rugby's appreciated; unfortunately for NZ it's probably the last time it'll be there due to the financial requirements of staging it.

Now that "bag an Aussie" or "slag Quade" seem to have died down, and the Poms have been rightly dispatched, it's the game which is being talked about. There's no doubt the four teams who want to play rugby have deservedly reached the serious end of the tournament. May the best teams win.

On the money side: it'd be great for New Zealand if tourist numbers take a significant turn upwards the next few years making the whole country benefit from this wonderful event.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Do not believe for a second that "slag an Aussie" or "bag Quade" have died down. Didn't you read Gregor Paul in the NZ Herald on Thursday?

Strangely suffering from mixed emotions today though. I will feel genuinely sad for their blokes when we knock them out tomorrow.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)

Occasional being the key word. He goes MIA far too often, just look at last week where he made no runs for the whole match. I can't remember the last time a center managed that.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
Massive storm here in Brisbane but the darkness passed and the gold is shining through once again. Let's hope the wallabies can weather the storm and let the gold shine tomorrow! Can't wait!!!

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Did you watch the game? Our number 9 kicked it away 15 times..
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) made around 20 tackles,not exactly MIA..

I don't look out for players on defense, what I look out for is them on attack. And in that department he was MIA. And FTR he made 11 tackles missed 2.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
What's that got to do with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

Well your first sentence said you only look out for players on attack, I think Bam only had 2 carries? (correct me if I am wrong please) but with 27 tackles and 4 steals that won us the match. Ant has stopped tries through defence which is worth just as much as getting a 5 pointer himself. With the lack of ball we had I don't think any of our outside backs can be blamed for not dominating, the fact that they defended the asses off speaks loads for me though.

P

proton

F,,,';35263 Beales out ratshit but in the words of Alan Jones dont worry about them they are nothing compared to you. see robbie knows beale will play next week. there is no second/. come second n you hang yoour boots up till next year...
big game young fullas mccaw too slow

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Well your first sentence said you only look out for players on attack, I think Bam only had 2 carries? (correct me if I am wrong please) but with 27 tackles and 4 steals that won us the match. Ant has stopped tries through defence which is worth just as much as getting a 5 pointer himself. With the lack of ball we had I don't think any of our outside backs can be blamed for not dominating, the fact that they defended the asses off speaks loads for me though.

I'm sorry that I don't watch every single tackle to see which player made that tackle to congratulate them....
No where in my post did I say I don't appreciate the efforts players make on defense, what I was pointing out was a centre pairing of McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to McCabe/Fainga'a ain't going to have much effect on our attacking potential. And again I was not blaming AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on attack, just pointing out he made no runs. Fainga'a I certainly notice on defense because he usually drives the player backwards and grabs the turnover.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
I'm sorry that I don't watch every single tackle to see which player made that tackle to congratulate them....
No where in my post did I say I don't appreciate the efforts players make on defense, what I was pointing out was a centre pairing of McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to McCabe/Fainga'a ain't going to have much effect on our attacking potential. And again I was not blaming AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on attack, just pointing out he made no runs. Fainga'a I certainly notice on defense because he usually drives the player backwards and grabs the turnover.

Sorry for the misinterpretation and thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.