• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
This game is going to come down to the top 2 inches of every player (top 6-8 inches for Samo).

I don't think player vs player comparisons are going to make a lot of difference when it comes down to it. This is about who can hold their nerve.

Yes and this is about who can build and sustain pressure. There are enough cracks in both teams for the opposition to expose.
Good call on Samo BTW

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Player vs Player match-ups are obviously meaningless, but it is always an interesting excerise and a fun point of debate prior to a big game. Fills the time....in actual fact they are probably more productive than reading most of the articles the journos are spitting out at the moment. It must be hard writing about nothing.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
For what it's worth I think the Blacks would beat us if we go purely on Player vs Player, but it's all about being greater than the sum of your parts. Something we proved to the Kiwis in 2003... GO WALLABIES!

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Nah, in 2003 you proved it's better in knock-out rugby to have a class outside-centre than a mercurial no. 10.

If Conrad Smith was capable of running 60 metres I'd be feeling a lot better about this..

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nah, in 2003 you proved it's better in knock-out rugby to have a class outside-centre than a mercurial no. 10.

If Conrad Smith was capable of running 60 metres I'd be feeling a lot better about this..

Hey, youre sounding like a welshman!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just sayin', this week has been hell. Every morning I wake up wishing it was sunday already.

I

Ilie Tabua's Shadow

It weird mind. All this does sound spookily familiar. Just like half of wales last week

Don't know about anyone else but gwladrugby.com has brought many many happy moments for me this week. Almost wish I was at Millenium Stadium on Saturday morn.

J

Jumpers

Player v Player analysis for my money:
Woodcock v Alexander - Barely giving it to Woodcock based on experience and his increasing form throughout the tournament
Moore v Mealamu - Advantage Moore. He's been fantastic all year.
Owens v Kepu - Owens. Improving all tournament and sekope's ankle will struggle in the damp surface.
Vickerman v Whitelock - Advantage vickerman - unless he runs his mouth off and gives away too many penalties yet again
Thorn v Horwill - amazing battle - advantage Horwill though. Big bad brad has looked a bit slower.
Kaino v Elsom - Kaino by a fair bit. rocky is, as always, patchy. Kaino is sensational day in day out.
McCaw v Pocock - Advantage Pocock, but not by much. I would say Richie is about to put in the game of his life and it will be fairly heroic in light of the pain he is in. Pocock has found outrageous form.
Read v Samo - I give this to Read. I haven't liked Samo much this tournament (last weeks defense aside). he's appeared too non chalant at the back of the scrum for me at times.
Piri v Genia - Depends on what the 16 men in front of them do. I will rate this as even. both massively effective, but for entirely different reasons. Piri seems to have found himself as of late. Genia seems to have lost himself.
Cooper v Cruden - Cooper has been poor nearly all tournament. I see no advantage between either on defence, save for the fact that Cruden at least tries to tackle. Personally, I think people underestimate Cruden and I think he is going to put in a fantastic performance, helped on by Piri and Nonu on either side of him. I am not convinced that cooper is due for a good game. he has played two bad games in a row already this tournament. Won't call this one.
Nonu v McCabe - Nonu. Mccabes defense has been solid. his attack is predictable. I detest how he goes into contact with his arms raised and body upright. its as if he's falling top first onto his opposite and just asking to be held up.
Smith v AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Faainga - Pretty even if its Smith v AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), advantage Smith if Faainga. Again, AF has good defence, but his attack is relatively non-existent for me. Smith has excellent defense, but adds attacking and creative spark - similar to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).
Jane v Ioane - I'm going to say advantage Ioane on this one. But Jane has impressed me as well. he's a big, quick and defensively effective winger, who has a height advantage over ioane. that said, ioane is ioane. will be another great battle in this game.
O'conner v Kahui - I'm not going to include JOC (James O'Connor)'s kicking in this comparison. strictly attack, defense and work rate. JOC (James O'Connor) played a great game against the boks. Kahui will beat him for strength and height. Speed is probably even. I think this battle will be won in their off ball efforts. I'll give it to JOC (James O'Connor).
Dagg v Beale/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Beale carrying a hammy. Im not convinced he'll be at 100% if he plays. Both great runners. both great under the high ball and both have pace. Advantage goes to Dagg for me against either player. strictly based on Beale not being 100%.

All Blacks win in my estimation by 1.

I'm going to call the all blacks to win this in the final few minutes and not by very much. The key will be the first 20 minutes (as with every game). The all blacks forwards are going to dictate how Genia plays.

Regardless, the Australia at the line (7.5) bet is looking pretty tasty.

The Wallabies got beat by Samoa and Ireland-teams the ABs would never lose to. So the chokers tag is on the Wallabies.
Their form at this RWC has been unimpressive and were lucky to win over the Boks. Their record at Eden Park ain't flash and will haunt them. The ABs are the favs and will smash the Wallabies up front big time. I don't think the Wallabies will get up for this match. The ABs have a much better depth and a class back line. The first 20 mins will be the telling factor on which team keeps together. The ABs will win 13- points!!!

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
Player v Player analysis for my money:
Woodcock v Alexander - Barely giving it to Woodcock based on experience and his increasing form throughout the tournament
Moore v Mealamu - Advantage Moore. He's been fantastic all year.
Owens v Kepu - Owens. Improving all tournament and sekope's ankle will struggle in the damp surface.
Vickerman v Whitelock - Advantage vickerman - unless he runs his mouth off and gives away too many penalties yet again
Thorn v Horwill - amazing battle - advantage Horwill though. Big bad brad has looked a bit slower.
Kaino v Elsom - Kaino by a fair bit. rocky is, as always, patchy. Kaino is sensational day in day out.
McCaw v Pocock - Advantage Pocock, but not by much. I would say Richie is about to put in the game of his life and it will be fairly heroic in light of the pain he is in. Pocock has found outrageous form.
Read v Samo - I give this to Read. I haven't liked Samo much this tournament (last weeks defense aside). he's appeared too non chalant at the back of the scrum for me at times.
Piri v Genia - Depends on what the 16 men in front of them do. I will rate this as even. both massively effective, but for entirely different reasons. Piri seems to have found himself as of late. Genia seems to have lost himself.
Cooper v Cruden - Cooper has been poor nearly all tournament. I see no advantage between either on defence, save for the fact that Cruden at least tries to tackle. Personally, I think people underestimate Cruden and I think he is going to put in a fantastic performance, helped on by Piri and Nonu on either side of him. I am not convinced that cooper is due for a good game. he has played two bad games in a row already this tournament. Won't call this one.
Nonu v McCabe - Nonu. Mccabes defense has been solid. his attack is predictable. I detest how he goes into contact with his arms raised and body upright. its as if he's falling top first onto his opposite and just asking to be held up.
Smith v AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Faainga - Pretty even if its Smith v AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), advantage Smith if Faainga. Again, AF has good defence, but his attack is relatively non-existent for me. Smith has excellent defense, but adds attacking and creative spark - similar to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).
Jane v Ioane - I'm going to say advantage Ioane on this one. But Jane has impressed me as well. he's a big, quick and defensively effective winger, who has a height advantage over ioane. that said, ioane is ioane. will be another great battle in this game.
O'conner v Kahui - I'm not going to include JOC (James O'Connor)'s kicking in this comparison. strictly attack, defense and work rate. JOC (James O'Connor) played a great game against the boks. Kahui will beat him for strength and height. Speed is probably even. I think this battle will be won in their off ball efforts. I'll give it to JOC (James O'Connor).
Dagg v Beale/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Beale carrying a hammy. Im not convinced he'll be at 100% if he plays. Both great runners. both great under the high ball and both have pace. Advantage goes to Dagg for me against either player. strictly based on Beale not being 100%.

All Blacks win in my estimation by 1.

I'm going to call the all blacks to win this in the final few minutes and not by very much. The key will be the first 20 minutes (as with every game). The all blacks forwards are going to dictate how Genia plays.

Regardless, the Australia at the line (7.5) bet is looking pretty tasty.

cant disagree with much of that apart from the hookers. I dont think you will find many people taking Moore over Kev apart from Aussie's. Fair enough, he is an important player for you guys. Probably more so than kev is for us. I would have Thorn over Vickerman as well even though you have pitted him against Whitelock.

I am actually more confident after seeing your side, picking 2 injured backs and Kepu with a question mark over the ankle. Deans is going to have to go to the bench in the forwards this week and I don't think your bench of Simmons, Slipper, McCalman is strong enough.

Should be a cracking match and nullify Pocock (easier said than done as he is the best 7 on the ground in the world right now) and that will go a long way to us winning the game but we need to bring our A game to the breakdown.

I

Ilie Tabua's Shadow

Gwlad rugby has definetly taken rugby reporting to mighty serious levels now. Truth is not a victim.

"Health experts are fearing the worst... The combination of high blood pressure, hyperactivity and erections will lead to nothing less than people just exploding in the street. That's right, exploding."

This reporting had me laughing for over an hour.

Just genius.

I

Ilie Tabua's Shadow

If I am ever lucky enough to walk past the castle on the way to the stadium I'm forever going to be ducking for cover fearing exploding erections.

That's right. Exploding welsh erections. The thought horrifies yet somehow perfectly describes the levels of excitement in the Principality.

Good God the sale of umbrellas and raincoats will go through the roof in Cardiff Central should the boyos make the final.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCabe has laid down the challenge...

Attachments

• you-shall-not-pass.jpg
    you-shall-not-pass.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 248

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Sir Arthur, you will probably agree with what I am about to say but your analysis of the player v. player for each position evoked a rugby thought......
Absolutely agree. just a fun way to analyse the game on paper.
on paper the ABs should win the man to man match ups. it'll depend how the backs and forwards link up and how each unit plays within itself.
will be fantastic as a contest all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.