• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
The way to use McCalman in Test rugby is off the bench or not at all (at this stage).

Agreed. He's not the physically imposing behemoth all of us Wallabies supporters want coming off the bench, but his work rate is phenomenal. A lot of people have completely written him off, especially since the Ireland fiasco, but he's not the useless player that some people would have everyone believe. I'm not a massive fan or anything, but he makes plenty of tackles and gets involved when he can. He's got a bit of pace for a forward as well and he presents another line-out option. Bit like Rocky Elsom without all the mongrel. Coming on in the last 15 minutes against a tired opposition, he should do fine. He won't win the game for us, but I highly doubt that if we lose it's going to be his fault.

Reactions: DPK

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
You really rate Afoa over Slipper and Ellis over Burgess?

Didn't even see Afoa there. Probably near even, though advantage to slipper, just based on his super 15 form, that said, the little we've seen of him this cup, he hasn't looked near his super rugby form
Ellis and Burgess. Depends which burgess shows up! He's patchy. His service is certainly no better than ellis'. he probably adds more around the park, but he also gets to contests slowly sometimes. I dont have as much hate on for ellis as a lot on this forum do.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Didn't even see Afoa there. Probably near even, though advantage to slipper, just based on his super 15 form, that said, the little we've seen of him this cup, he hasn't looked near his super rugby form
Ellis and Burgess. Depends which burgess shows up! He's patchy. His service is certainly no better than ellis'. he probably adds more around the park, but he also gets to contests slowly sometimes. I dont have as much hate on for ellis as a lot on this forum do.

You do know slipper was coming back from injury at the start of this WC

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
yes and thats affected his form, as it would anyone. but its still affected his form. hence i give the advantage to slipper based on his super 15 form. if he can get back to that, he'll be better. otherwise its even.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Agreed. He's not the physically imposing behemoth all of us Wallabies supporters want coming off the bench, but his work rate is phenomenal. A lot of people have completely written him off, especially since the Ireland fiasco, but he's not the useless player that some people would have everyone believe. I'm not a massive fan or anything, but he makes plenty of tackles and gets involved when he can. He's got a bit of pace for a forward as well and he presents another line-out option. Bit like Rocky Elsom without all the mongrel. Coming on in the last 15 minutes against a tired opposition, he should do fine. He won't win the game for us, but I highly doubt that if we lose it's going to be his fault.

IIRC, McCalman made his first appearance for the Wallabies off the bench (I think against the Boks in Brisvegas). This generated some hype and attention, which he hasn't lived up to starting; I think he's best working from the bench, not just for the workrate strengths you mentioned but also because he's a bit of an amalgam of the current backrow- taller than Pocock, decent fectching abilities, similar loose play to Rocky (probably not as fast though) and decent hands at the back of the scrum.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Settle down rose petal.

AAAARRRRRR!!!!!.....

It's not actually Ant I'm worried about anyway, It's more McCabe (yes he defended his heart out last game but he did miss some soft tackles early), If he's truly 100% than by all means have him there but if he isn't the Blecks will capitalise where the Boks couldn't

I

Ilie Tabua's Shadow

In reply to that, is it still forecast to be raining cats and dogs on Sunday in Auckland?

Checking out the Auckland Weather Metservice, 'long fine spells, few morning showers. Westerly easing'.

This prediction has changed a few times recently however.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
I hardly believe McCabe and Fainga'a were to blame for Nonu and Smith's tries...

Finger came off his man and inside onto Carter, who was already covered by Genia, Carter then offloaded out of the double tackle to Smith who strolled over unopposed as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) tried to turn from his opposite winger and chase but had no hope.

Nonu's try came when McCabe did not mark him, Simmons went up to tackle him but fell off and Nonu ran accross to the blind and wrapped around. Meanwhile McCaw and ?Mealamu? held Pocock on the ground at the previous breakdown for 14 seconds.

Nonu's try was less of McCabe's issue but Finger made a schoolboy error.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Nek MINNIT

Attachments

• nekMin.jpg
    nekMin.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 216

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reading that article, it seems to be rampant speculation.

That blood injection therapy, believed to have gone ahead earlier this week in an attempt to speed up Beale's recovery from a nagging hamstring problem, demonstrates just how important the dynamic attacker is to the Wallabies' prospects of victory.

it seems the believed bit is based solely on

Beale was a no-show at Wallabies training on Wednesday when skipper James Horwill said he was undergoing treatment which was unspecified.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Dropping Sharpie from his 100th Test is an absolute c#*t of a thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

I think he has performed better so far in the World Cup than Simmons and would have handled the big occasion pressure better too.

Robbie's "horses for courses" call is mind-boggling.

Robbie did this when he first took up the job, and later realised his error and brought Nathan back. I'm a big fan of Sharpies, and as mentioned earlier, he rarely has a "bad" game! In the past, I've been critisized by members for saying he has the "mongrel" we need, but at this end of the RWC we need 'fighters' not 'boxers'!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Having had a few hours to settle down I'm sure Simmons will be very keen to make the most of any opportunity he gets. Given his age, he may well end up playing 100 Tests for the Wallabies too.

Go the Wallabies! What a big weekend coming up.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Player v Player analysis for my money:

Sir Arthur, you will probably agree with what I am about to say but your analysis of the player v. player for each position evoked a rugby thought.

Before the games when we have beaten the All Blacks recently, neutral assessors would have had the Kiwis on the credit side of the ledger every time comparing player to player.

When we beat them it was through team attributes, such as the forwards showing up to play in the 1st half in Brisbane, and the backs clicking as a group from time to time in Hong Kong. And in those two games it was team belief after the All Blacks had come back that enabled us to respond and win. We finished well.

Team response to setbacks in a game, and even to successes, is one of the great mysteries of sport.

We showed an admirable team trait against the Boks last Sunday - on defence, and finished well again. I hope we show a wider spectrum of team attributes on Sunday; we will need a few of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.