• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF1 - Wales v France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agreed. Swapping wellies for Hook ws inspired. French were utterly utterly cr@p. Crushing disappointment and means that whatever team wins tomorrow will totally cream the french. they were clueless in attack and 14 against 15 meant we couldn;t be sure of retaining ball if we kept it in hand. Utterly gutted. Well who ever wins tomorrow will have my support. And (sorry to say) as it will probably be australia, the third place play off will be the exhibition game this really wasn't

F

François

At the end I found myself secretly hopping for a loss, as accessing to the final like this is a disgrace.

How the hell did we get through ?

That's a question the Wallabies asked themselves a week ago, but they had a lot more to show for. They put in the best defensive effort anyone could even remember, and played the rucks perfectly. Plus O'Connor slotted a nerve wracking, match winning penalty goal. It was enough to oversee the fact that Lambie almost slotted a drop goal, and Steyn missed a kick or two.

But how the hell did les bleus go through ?

Plain luck. End of story. A decent enough defensive effort, you'd probably give us that. And Parra made a few breaks that seemed to upset the Welsh at times. But apart from that, ZERO. No ambition, no speed, nothing. We couldn't keep the ball for more than 2 phases, even though at 14 the welsh had more trouble contesting the rucks. No need to add that we didn't score tries, or looked like we could score one. Apart from Parra who benefited from the absence of Roberts in the midfield at scrum time, we had no linebreaks.

Our outside backs, Medard especially, didn't show much and seemed seriously out of form when compared to the way they play in Top 14, and most notably at Toulouse.

All in all a poor performance, a one in twenty victory. I mean how often does a team slot 1 from 8 kicks ? And that last attempt from Halfpenny... 20 cm higher and that's it. And they were a man down ?

If anything, it brings all the more intensity to tomorrow's game, which is the true world cup final. Because let's get that out of the way right now, right now this french team stand literally no chance against Australia or the NZ.

I say go the wallabies, this one's for you.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
At the end I found myself secretly hopping for a loss, as accessing to the final like this is a disgrace.

How the hell did we get through ?

That's a question the Wallabies asked themselves a week ago, but they had a lot more to show for. They put in the best defensive effort anyone could even remember, and played the rucks perfectly. Plus O'Connor slotted a nerve wracking, match winning penalty goal. It was enough to oversee the fact that Lambie almost slotted a drop goal, and Steyn missed a kick or two.

But how the hell did les bleus go through ?

Plain luck. End of story. A decent enough defensive effort, you'd probably give us that. And Parra made a few breaks that seemed to upset the Welsh at times. But apart from that, ZERO. No ambition, no speed, nothing. We couldn't keep the ball for more than 2 phases, even though at 14 the welsh had more trouble contesting the rucks. No need to add that we didn't score tries, or looked like we could score one. Apart from Parra who benefited from the absence of Roberts in the midfield at scrum time, we had no linebreaks.

Our outside backs, Medard especially, didn't show much and seemed seriously out of form when compared to the way they play in Top 14, and most notably at Toulouse.

All in all a poor performance, a one in twenty victory. I mean how often does a team slot 1 from 8 kicks ? And that last attempt from Halfpenny... 20 cm higher and that's it. And they were a man down ?

If anything, it brings all the more intensity to tomorrow's game, which is the true world cup final. Because let's get that out of the way right now, right now this french team stand literally no chance against Australia or the NZ.

I say go the wallabies, this one's for you.

and yet that very same french team are the only team in the final at this stage

P

pete88

Don't forget your lineout Francois, you were picking the Welsh call like a dirty nose.

Dunno how you can write your boys off, if anything today showed that "dominance" is a crap word to think about. Pick off an early lineout throw in AB/Wally terrirtoy in the final and score a try, kick a penalty or two in the first quarter and odds are you will grind out the win even if the SH opposition is making all the running.

Wales only really have themselves to blame for this one, and after looking so clinical in the QF it shows anyone can drop their bundle at a crucial point on the day.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Don't write the French off! They are in the final and can win it easily.

No No. Please. I'm not going to criticise decision to send off Breadman. Ref got it wrong I think and determined the outcome 100%, but against a team with 14 players french were a bunch of headless coqs. they have absolutely no chance of winning. None whatsoever. They are a disorganised rabble. Shame conditions didn't help but that had the whole pub singing SH uber alles again. Utterly dire unless you were a rugby fan. terrible advert for the game and everything this RWC hasn't been til now. I have a horrible feeling Australia will have difficulty attacking but even if they are defending they wll play 1000000000000 times better than france.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Don't forget your lineout Francois, you were picking the Welsh call like a dirty nose.

Dunno how you can write your boys off, if anything today showed that "dominance" is a crap word to think about. Pick off an early lineout throw in AB/Wally terrirtoy in the final and score a try, kick a penalty or two in the first quarter and odds are you will grind out the win even if the SH opposition is making all the running.

Wales only really have themselves to blame for this one, and after looking so clinical in the QF it shows anyone can drop their bundle at a crucial point on the day.

easy t write them off. they were shite. As for lineout, impossible without Breadman

F

François

and yet that very same french team are the only team in the final at this stage

Goes to show that at the end of the day, and whatever you do when on pitch, whatever your skills, eagerness, courage, dumb luck can still play a massive role from time to time. I guess it's the same for life in general.

And that French team is one of the worst world cup finalist ever... geez, I'm terrible fan, aren't I ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Why go one of the ruck when it's clearly not working! Frogs up to quick. Space on the edge with pick 'n drive. Oh well over now. Bad luck. Heads high. Great tournament!

The Darkness tried exactly that - (25 phases I think) in Cardiff 2007 vs Les Frogge. It didn't work then and didn't work tonight. Did no one in Wales remember the 2007 game in Cardiff - Darkness in Grey Jumpers vs Blue in Blue Jumpers?

Here's one for the real tragics. Le Frogge defended like demons vs NZ in Wales 2007, and NZ couldn't score. Le Frogge defended like demons vs Wales in NZ in 2011 and Wales couldn't score.

Hmmmm. I need to get some fresh air.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Goes to show that at the end of the day, and whatever you do when on pitch, whatever your skills, eagerness, courage, dumb luck can still play a massive role from time to time. I guess it's the same for life in general.

And that French team is one of the worst world cup finalist ever... geez, I'm terrible fan, aren't I ?

Non, je crois que vous n'etes que realiste

F

François

Cardiffblue, honestly, in some way I share your disappointment. We really were crap and underserving, and I hope the players, staff and fans over there in NZ won't brag too much about it during the week.

But still: if France didn't really win the game, it was in Wales' hands all along to bag it. You had many opportunities, and of course you put yourself in the shite with that tackle, which was a massive mistake. Contrary to you I think the ref got it right, it was way too dangerous and could have caused a serious injury.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Darkness tried exactly that - (25 phases I think) in Cardiff 2007 vs Les Frogge. It didn't work then and didn't work tonight. Did no one in Wales remember the 2007 game in Cardiff - Darkness in Grey Jumpers vs Blue in Blue Jumpers?

Here's one for the real tragics. Le Frogge defended like demons vs NZ in Wales 2007, and NZ couldn't score. Le Frogge defended like demons vs Wales in NZ in 2011 and Wales couldn't score.

Hmmmm. I need to get some fresh air.

Bit different. wales didn't risk running at the french until last 10 mins. Clearly worried about wearing themselves out. Don;t thiink France defended very well. Just think that we didn't attack them early enough with ball in hand. franly I think this french side is an embarrassment

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Hey Cardiff, I see you are back on line. tell us about your fecking gnome now. How in the hell did he manage to orchestrate that?

P

pete88

easy t write them off. they were shite. As for lineout, impossible without Breadman

Does Warburton call the lineouts? Genuine question, but normally it's a lock...? Guess you missed him as a jumper either way, little bit of extra doubt for defenders etc. However I would still say France will have the best lineout in the final. And if they play us, the best scrum as well, so if it's us vs them no way can you write them off.

In all fairness, the ABs will be raging favourites if they make it. Which should suit France just fine.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That was the worst performance the Welsh put on in the whole tournament. Their kicking from the tee and from hand was abysmal. I feel that if they had kept the ball in hand they would have won. The French defence considering they were a man up was pretty woeful and only really got organised in the last 10 minutes. The Welsh however didn't captialise on it, putting up poor kicks that were not effectively chased so the French took them under no preasure and returned with interest and actually kicked for touch. Where for all that they have the shortest lineout from the tier one nations the French Lineout is very very good at turning over the ball.

In any event I think Gatland made a big mistake in this game putting on S. Jones at 10, since the kicking game was most definitely not working. I know it will be said he was put on for his goal kicking but he had only one shot which he missed closely, but they needed to run the ball and this has never been his strength. Wales really didn't have the lineout functioning well enough to plug the corners with any confidence so I cannot understand putting Jones in there.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cardiffblue, honestly, in some way I share your disappointment. We really were crap and underserving, and I hope the players, staff and fans over there in NZ won't brag too much about it during the week.

But still: if France didn't really win the game, it was in Wales' hands all along to bag it. You had many opportunities, and of course you put yourself in the shite with that tackle, which was a massive mistake. Contrary to you I think the ref got it right, it was way too dangerous and could have caused a serious injury.

Not going to debate the Breadman incident. It happened. It was not a send off offence, but there we go. It will enter the folklore of what might have been a decent game.

The game from that point on was dire to watch and rugby was the loser. The result is that we lost to one of the worst teams in the comp. France will lose final by lots. they didn't defend well. they had no clue. People talk about which french team will turn up, but there is only one french team here and they are not v good

P

pete88

Not going to debate the Breadman incident. It happened. It was not a send off offence, but there we go. It will enter the folklore of what might have been a decent game.

The game from that point on was dire to watch and rugby was the loser. The result is that we lost to one of the worst teams in the comp. France will lose final by lots. they didn't defend well. they had no clue. People talk about which french team will turn up, but there is only one french team here and they are not v good

I've got to say I'm with Francois on the tackle being a red card offence, he dropped a bloke on his neck after getting him a metre off the ground. I could have understood yellow, but I endorse refs cracking down on career/life-threatening tackles. Also, incredibly ballsy to make the call. Totally agree with you that the incident ruined the game as a spectacle, I think France would have played better as well, but would still have gone down by 10+. Can understand you not wanting to debate it, big of you if you think it was the wrong call as it definitely made the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.