• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF1 - Wales v France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bollocks is it pronounced Daveeeeeeeeeeeees, and we have more of them than in most phone books so we should be the judge

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Can understand the red card, none of us want paralysis injuries or worse in the game surely, and the rules are clear so as to minimise that risk. Don't believe for a second it was deliberate, but reckless clearly. Yellow arguable, but Warburton would not have played next week I think, and that would likely have been fatal to their game vs ABs or Wallabies almost certainly.

And damn they were close to getting through anyway. Very very unlucky.

French were woeful. Absolutely execrable.

You know what? I think the French will play out of their skins next week, being a final after that mess they just served. Especially if it's against the blacks and the media ridicule their chances.

P

pete88

I suspect given the nature of tomorrow's game you will either have a nervous-as-fuck kiwi media that doesn't want to jinx anything, or seriously bitter, angry journos hoping SOMEONE stops Quade Cooper being a World Cup Champion and the entire country getting behind the French. I doubt anyone will lay into the Froggies too much, although myabe they'll get cocky if we lose by plenty tomorrow.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can understand the red card, none of us want paralysis injuries or worse in the game surely, and the rules are clear so as to minimise that risk. Don't believe for a second it was deliberate, but reckless clearly. Yellow arguable, but Warburton would not have played next week I think, and that would likely have been fatal to their game vs ABs or Wallabies almost certainly.

And damn they were close to getting through anyway. Very very unlucky.

French were woeful. Absolutely execrable.

You know what? I think the French will play out of their skins next week, being a final after that mess they just served. Especially if it's against the blacks and the media ridicule their chances.

Most stuff I can take but after tonight I will not tolerate any thread that says 'depends on which french team turns up' or 'you know it would be just like the french to.....'.

FFS this french team doesn;t have another persona! they are as you say execrable- and that's it. They have been throughout the RWC. They are a shambolic bunch of tossers. If autralia get trough tomorrow they will have their third RWC, even if half the tream plays entire game with one hand behind their back!

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suspect given the nature of tomorrow's game you will either have a nervous-as-fuck kiwi media that doesn't want to jinx anything, or seriously bitter, angry journos hoping SOMEONE stops Quade Cooper being a World Cup Champion and the entire country getting behind the French. I doubt anyone will lay into the Froggies too much, although myabe they'll get cocky if we lose by plenty tomorrow.

wouldn't bet on that. Just read tomorrow's papers in UK

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Some good info on the Red card, well, not directly on it, but it is the memo that the unions were sent.

Makes it pretty clear that it was a red card. But I think the real issue is how it has been treated in the past.

http://ht.ly/6Yd0Y

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some good info on the Red card, well, not directly on it, but it is the memo that the unions were sent.

Makes it pretty clear that it was a red card. But I think the real issue is how it has been treated in the past.

http://ht.ly/6Yd0Y

No it doesn't make it clear and believe me, over on the other side of the world it's being hotly contested. It does however make it immaterial. What is more troubling is that tonight's game was shambolic and as a result the RWC final showcase will be a walkover

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Watching the game now.

Not a red card. It was careless but that was a huge call. Did look really bad in real time though so won't be holding it against Rolland.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Watching the game now.

Not a red card. It was careless but that was a huge call. Did look really bad in real time though so won't be holding it against Rolland.

Is it me, or is the decision to award MoM award to Bonnaire also a complete heap of crap? He was invisible.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Regardless of the red card, wales still had it in them to win with 14 men. They just played dumb rugby. No brain, no win.

P

pete88

wouldn't bet on that. Just read tomorrow's papers in UK

Yeah, but that's 11,000 miles away from the action. The experience of the players on the ground is what will count, the Kiwi, Australian and French press are filling the ears of the players with. No one gives a shit if the Stephen Jones (the journo) writes the French off.

I think no matter what the laws of the game and the IRB directives make it clear that tackle had to be a red card. Just been trawling the UK papers, I find it baffling that journos can include the relevant laws which clearly stipulate a red card and then argue that it shouldn't have been one. At the very least, it's not Alain Rolland's fault, and to be honest I think dropping blokes on their necks needs a zero tolerance response. It's right up there with headlock cleanouts and eye gouging as a way to inflict a career-threatening injury, but that's me getting subjective. Fact is, Rolland had to send him off.

Also, I wonder if Warren Gatland bitching so heartily about the ref will get him a 6-month ban? Or is it just Samoans who can't shoot their mouths off about refs?

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Plenty of criticism of France - seems harsh. Didn't see the game live except the last five minutes. Watched replay. Stoic effort by Wales and a great run through the tournament.

France wasted three try scoring opportunities: one in the 1st half when the ball went to the blind side when it should have gone open side; and a couple in the second half.

France looked in comfortably control for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half; and except for the Welsh try the French defence looked solid most of the game and at times they 'attacked' with their defence - quite similar to the Wales V Samoa game where I reckon Samoa had the measure of Wales except on the score board.

French players seemed subdued after the game, as if they were already thinking of the next assignment, a good sign for them going into the final. I reckon they haven't played all their cards yet.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Plenty of criticism of France - seems harsh. Didn't see the game live except the last five minutes. Watched replay. Stoic effort by Wales and a great run through the tournament.

France wasted three try scoring opportunities: one in the 1st half when the ball went to the blind side when it should have gone open side; and a couple in the second half.

France looked in comfortably control for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half; and except for the Welsh try the French defence looked solid most of the game and at times they 'attacked' with their defence - quite similar to the Wales V Samoa game where I reckon Samoa had the measure of Wales except on the score board.

French players seemed subdued after the game, as if they were already thinking of the next assignment, a good sign for them going into the final. I reckon they haven't played all their cards yet.

Is that really acceptable when you play 60 mins one man up?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That was hard lines for Wales losing their skipper, but I'm in the minority that agree with the decision whatever commentators say or don't say. I thought Rolland would give just a yellow, mind.

Priestland was a huge loss and the Wales scrum suffered by losing THP Adam Jones early and then Sam and having to go to 7 forwards plus Roberts. I didn't expect their lineout to suck so much though.

France looked just like their last 6N game in 2010 when they won their Slam - very nervous, very boring, but winning. In hindsight and even live, one wished that Wales would throw caution to the wind and get it wide, or as they have been doing for years: going one way and coming back the other. They had nothing to lose.

And the goal kicking sucked. One hopes that the goal kicking of the Wobs is better than that tomorrow, though I fear that it won't be.

See you later Wales. Like Oz next time you will have a more experienced team that can play these big games better than in 2011..

Well done to France, but you're not going to win the final like that. You won't care right now though I know. Coached by a dickhead and seemingly out of all contention when well beaten by NZ and ditto by Tonga you have gutsed out two wins in adversity.

Who knows: there may be one more left.

N

Nooj

Personally I reckon the reffing was a disgrace, and the ref needs to have a long hard look at himself if he isn't lynched by Welsh supporters first. But to be honest, it's Wales' own fault that they didn't get kick those goals. I hope the ABs thrash France anyway.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Is that really acceptable when you play 60 mins one man up?

The slippery conditions helped keep it an even, absorbing contest. Wales had plenty of chances to win while France did enough to win.

Both sides defended well as expected in a semi final. Free flowing rugby would have been rare even it conditions were dry. France managed to win without giving too much away. What they will bring to the final is unknown - and I'm sure they are happy to have their opponents guessing.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree. panicked. It s clear though that pretty much whole game plan was built around warburton.

by the definition in that memo, it fits the bill for a red card. he lifted him beyond the horizontal and dropped him. i think the drop was unintentional and that they just lost him once he got him up, but he still dropped him.

that said, knowing it was 20 mins into a semi final. i dont see why he went red. it should've been yellow...despite the fact it was a red...if you get me.

Status
Not open for further replies.