• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I didn't say they did. I said the Wallabies didn't deserve to win. In any game against top class opposition, living in your own half, failing to win your own lineout ball and kicking badly almost all game should be a death warrant. I don't think you can argue that is untrue.

I'm pretty sure Deans and Horwill didn't say to each other before the game:

RD: I have a cunning plan. Right, let's score an early try and then play the rest of the game in our own half.

JH: Yes, and if we get the ball, we'll kick it back to them, lose our own lineouts, let them charge down our kicks or drop it.

RD: Just one thing, let's play down there end for a couple of minutes in the last 5 and kick a penalty.

JH: Genius.
Haha!
Fixed it a bit. Now I believe it!

U

Utility

First time comment, long time reader!

Must say that was one of the most courageous performances i have seen by the Aussies. We had no ball, no territory but never relented. Pocock was unbelievable and honestly there was a stage in the 2nd half where i thought they could be in front by 30 points and it would have been a fair reflection of the match, but the fight and effort of the Aussies was something to be proud of. Pocock was out of this world but boy, the effort of everyone on the defensive side was something to behold.....Brilliant stuff and i haven't been so proud of a team performance in a long while.

One exception......Quade.....It happens to him some times, and i guess you take the good with the bad but boy did he have a Barry today.....Lets hope that he has that one out of the way and he is straight back on the ball for the rest of the Cup.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Owens was fine tonight. Unless all you managed to see were the penalties he missed against NZ, in which case he's a cheating match fixer and nothing less. If, however, you also managed to see the ones he missed against Argentina then you'll realise that he was fine.

I saw him miss a lot of knock ons and forward passes from both sides. He was average compared to yesterday's two.

U

Utility

I'd also like to ad how great JOC (James O'Connor) was.....He was brilliant with his hit ups off the scrum, really put his body on the line.....Still can't believe we won that though.....Brilliant defence and heart by the boys!

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The author Mark Reason has been writing complete rubbish for NZ papers during the tournament too. The guy is a complete fu*ken tool. Just writes his articles to wind up fans.

Glad i'm not the only one who thought it sh*te....surprising that sort of drivel is in a serious paper, while discourse on here has been quite civil.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Unfortunately, despite denials, cooper can't cope with the hate- and it's not going to go away, specially next weekend

Forget about Mark Reason. He is a tool. So is Zavos. Find conversation about which hemisphere has the bigger w@nker journos bit pointless. they are all desperate attention seekers

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I didn't say they did. I said the Wallabies didn't deserve to win. In any game against top class opposition, living in your own half, failing to win your own lineout ball and kicking badly almost all game should be a death warrant. I don't think you can argue that is untrue.

I'm pretty sure Deans and Horwill didn't say to each other before the game:

RD: Right, let's score an early try and then play the rest of the game in our own half.

JH: Yes, and if we get the ball, we'll kick it back to them, lose our own lineouts, let them charge down our kicks or drop it.

RD: Just one thing, let's play down there end for a couple of minutes in the last 5 and kick a penalty.

JH: Genius.

They probably said defense wins matches. Don't give them easy points and don't let them score a try.

Our defensive and breakdown effort got us that win, so I am not sure how anyone could say we didn't deserve to win?

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Conspiracy theories at 10 paces here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...arce-in-Australias-win-over-South-Africa.html

"The South Africans thought that the tackler would have to release the ball carrier. They thought that the offside line would be respected. They thought that men would have to stay on the feet. Instead it was a complete shambles."

and the first comment:

"Lawrence isn't guilty of incompetence - he's done exactly what his paymasters wanted him to do. New Zealand ref ensures that the ONE team - the Boks - who can defeat the All Blacks are eliminated, thereby ensuring easy semi-final for the Kiwis against a sub-standard Wallabies team."

mmmm???

Obviously they have never watched Bryce ref the breakdown before. He did it the same as ever, even as far back as the S15 final - a free for all.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mate forget it. Pocock got away with it today. McCaw has spent a lifetime of same. thought the ref wasn't bad despite all predictions. SA didn;t lose because of Pocock and the ruck. they also butchered tries and frankly looked clueless going forward for long periods.

Sa guilty of crap preparation

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I can't believe anyone would say the wallabies didn't deserve to win. I thought Bryce was average and favored the boks and we still won. Great dfence from the boys and considering we never had the ball and
Scored the only try should say something. Now I
Am happy. I want the wallabies to win but at least we are the only team competing for 3 world cups and I think alot of people would be happy to see new Zealand win. After all the deserve another world cup trophy.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Lawrence was shit. Almightily shit.
The thing that I was so happy about was that rather than our usual 'let's not get dragged down to their level' style of play that sees us blasted at the breakdown, they REACTED to the refereeing and within 20min were doing all the same shit the Bokke were. To me, that is smart play - playing to the referee, not your own moral code. Doing whatever it takes within the laws (which are, after all, whatever the ref says they are) to win.
There were guys taken out in the air, guys scragged at the lineout (the Samo penalty was the last in a long line, and only called up by the A.R.) - that stuff is dangerous and I hate it. But the breakdown? If he's saying anything goes, exploit it!
I must say, though, that it's sad to think we may never see Matfield at this level again. He's been a true champion for a long time, and Smit is a courageous leader. All the best to them in the future.

P

pete88

The implication that Pocock, Moore, Vickerman, Horwill, and any prop ever, including ours, have had some moral compass beyond "I'll do whatever the ref lets me get away with" is... interesting.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
quick ratings with no justification.
Kepu 6.5
Moore 7.5
Alexander 7
Vickerman 8
Horwill 8.5
Elsom 7
Pocock 9.5
Samo 7.5
Genia 7.5
Cooper 4
Ioane 6
McCabe 8.5
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 5.5
JOC (James O'Connor) 8.5
Beale 7.5

TPN 7
Slipper 7
Sharpe 6
McCalman 5.5
Barnes 7
Fainga'a 6

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
The implication that Pocock, Moore, Vickerman, Horwill, and any prop ever, including ours, have had some moral compass beyond "I'll do whatever the ref lets me get away with" is... interesting.

Ok, fair point. Perhaps "sheer bloody minded inability to switch focus, and lacking the intellect to play to the referee" is more appropriate?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Congratulations boys.

Hung on like grim with a defense perfectly planned.

We had every opportunity to put it away but through a combination if excellent defense and our predictable attack just couldn't.

Feel bad especially for Vic and Du Preez that it ends like this.

Just wanted to say Blue that I thought Matfield was immense today.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Try saving turnover at 20:22 minutes was The Rock, who filched it off Schalk right on the line and delicately worked it back for Kepu pass to Sanchez to Bieber Boy for clearing kick to Habana who botched his return kick. result was Our lineout on our 10 m line. Our line out not straight.

Could so easily have been Bokke try.

Fox Commentators claimed it as a Bam Bam Turnover. Slo-mo replay has identified the silken hands of The Rock as responsible.

P

potjiekos

Ok, fair point. Perhaps "sheer bloody minded inability to switch focus, and lacking the intellect to play to the referee" is more appropriate?

So do you advocate that players play outside the rules of the game (ie cheat), if the ref fails to marshall the breakdowns?

Ps..... When you watch re-runs of the game, count how many times at the ruck on the boks go-forward ball, Fourie du Preez or the first bok at the breakdown raises his hands or looks to the ref in dismay.... Do yourself a favour, ask yourself WHY he's doing that. While you're at it, count how many times David Mc..Pocock holds onto the player / ball after the ruck has formed? Or how many times the ball gets played on the ground, especially the move on the wobs tryline with the boks in full in attack... Ask yourself HowTF that ball came out on the wobs side.....

"I miss the good 'ol days when the air was clean and RUCKING was still allowed. Imagine what Pocock's hands and arms would have looked like this evening!" - Potjiekos

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So do you advocate that players play outside the rules of the game (ie cheat), if the ref fails to marshall the breakdowns?

Ps..... When you watch re-runs of the game, count how many times at the ruck on the boks go-forward ball, Fourie du Preez or the first bok at the breakdown raises his hands or looks to the ref in dismay.... Do yourself a favour, ask yourself WHY he's doing that. While you're at it, count how many times David Mc..Pocock holds onto the player / ball after the ruck has formed? Or how many times the ball gets played on the ground, especially the move on the wobs tryline with the boks in full in attack... Ask yourself HowTF that ball came out on the wobs side.....

"I miss the good 'ol days when the air was clean and RUCKING was still allowed. Imagine what Pocock's hands and arms would have looked like this evening!" - Potjiekos

There is a great deal to be said for being allowed to ruck the ball - though it was never a particularly effective way of clearing Bokke or ABs from our side....at least you felt they'd done some harm.

Because the rules are so complex the fact is that it cannot be about literal breaking of the rules it has to be about playing to the refs interpretation on that day....so technically you have to cheat

Status
Not open for further replies.