• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Glad i'm not the only one who thought it sh*te....surprising that sort of drivel is in a serious paper, while discourse on here has been quite civil.

Some of the comments below Reason's article are hilarious. Apparently there was a conspiracy by the IRB and NZRU which involved Lawrence reffing Ireland to a pool win, and Oz to a QF win, because only the Boks are capable of beating the ABs

::)

S

saulih

I am tired of the 'don't deserve to win' attitude that pervades Aussie rugby. Sure you watch rugby in the hope that your boys will but in a peerless performance and win in matches that you can tell your grandkids about, but the vast majority of them are far from that quite shit in fact. Some teams are happy to simply walk on the field, and are happy even in their defeats. To me it seems that some here couldn't bring themselves to lift a glass, even if we brought home the Cup.

For me, I am quite smug that we are undefeated against the Saffa's for 2011 (as well as the last matchup in 2010) :yay :yay :yay

W

Worldcupnut

Bryce Lawrence was magnificent yesterday. Yes he was garbage BUT, he was even handed in distributing the garbage. If a game is a classic it's safe to assume the ref had a blinder. Hands up who would've been disappointed if Wallabies lost? .......... yeah, right. It was awesome and a reminder of how great sport watching can be. However, visit my thread " Nigel Owens; A Disgrace to the Human Race " to see my opinions of the other Quarter Final.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Hello there I'm Welsh, Thought I'd pop in and see how you boys are doing, Watched the game today, thought you were very lucky, was hoping SA would win then we could have beaten them in the final.
But its not to be,
Was going to start a new thread but it seems I cant do new threads, I Am really exited about the Welsh team seems a few here think they beat the ABs and they win the WC, Ireland jog any memories.
But the reall reason I searched for this forum was that I belong to a welsh forum, which has a fare share of SA & ABs posters but no Aussies
The site is scumv rugby forum would like to see some of youse there.
Bye for now Dai :0)

P

potjiekos

There is a great deal to be said for being allowed to ruck the ball - though it was never a particularly effective way of clearing Bokke or ABs from our side....at least you felt they'd done some harm.

Because the rules are so complex the fact is that it cannot be about literal breaking of the rules it has to be about playing to the refs interpretation on that day....so technically you have to cheat

Have to disagree with you there, mate. The rules as it pertains to the breakdown, are not that complex.... even my 9 year old son could school you in this regard!

To name but a few....... players not releasing the tackled player after the initial tackle had been made thus preventing him from placing the ball; holding onto the player/ball way after the ruck had formed; players not rolling away; players taking up a positions beyond the initial contact area on the opposition side or even playing the ball on the ground / when off your feet.

When these infractions occur maybe once or twice during the game (remember we are dealing with highly skilled professionals here, not amateur schoolboys!), then one can put it down to an error in judgement perhaps.

However , when constant infringements at the breakdown occurs with alarming regularity, almost as if choreographed, then I'm afraid that play not only moves beyond the point of playing to the refs interpretation of the game, it regresses to a literal breaking of the rules.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Thing is, no team is going to be the one to stand up and say 'We are going to play strictly by the rules, there will be noone on our side who will slow down the ball, not roll away quickly or attempt to impede defenders". They would get slaughtered. Not saying it is right, just saying.

P

potjiekos

Thing is, no team is going to be the one to stand up and say 'We are going to play strictly by the rules, there will be noone on our side who will slow down the ball, not roll away quickly or attempt to impede defenders". They would get slaughtered. Not saying it is right, just saying.

I concur..... They would get slaughtered by a stronger team. But I suppose that only happens in the movies! In reality, the weaker team wins. *wink*

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I concur..... They would get slaughtered by a stronger team. But I suppose that only happens in the movies! In reality, the weaker team wins. *wink*

I wasn;t making any claim that Boks played like angels. I was cheering them on simply because I am more confident of the ABs beating them. If they had better ball control and stopped turning it over after 5 phases they could have won.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
BTW. Wasn't it great to see a touchie ( um...er... Assistant Ref ) doing ther job and penalising SAF for that take down of Samo!
Bryce lawrence must be the worst ref at the WC, He did every thing he could to make sure the Aussies won as the Black fear the bokk.:angryfire:

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I wasn;t making any claim that Boks played like angels. I was cheering them on simply because I am more confident of the ABs beating them. If they had better ball control and stopped turning it over after 5 phases they could have won.
You thought what??

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Bryce lawrence must be the worst ref at the WC, He did every thing he could to make sure the Aussies won as the Black fear the bokk.:angryfire:
Wasn't a lot of Bok momentum also stopped by unforced errors? I think both teams had a few lucky calls go for and against them. I can see why people are frustrated though, I think the whole of SA might have a case of blue balls today.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone who thinks the ABs would rather face the Wallabies is dreaming. ABs hate playing unpredictable teams. There's not a lot in it either way though and I doubt Henry and co are fussed overly.

As for Bryce game, any team that paid attention to his reffing would know how he refs. He has consistently been soft at breakdowns, from Super Rugby onwards.

Either way to say he was why the Boks lost is rubbish. They lost because despite immense opportunity they couldn't put the game away.

It was a titanic effort by the Wallabies in the face of unrelenting assault by the Boks and anyone who can't acknowledge their achievement is just cheap.

Chunderstruck

Alex Ross (28)
Just aside from the ref and the rules, I want to say how proud I am of the boys. Even though it was an ugly game and my nerves are in tatters, its hugely satisfying to see the WBs battle hard and scrape a close win. The Boks played keep away with the ball and a huge pile of Quade's shit hit the fan, but they found a way. Seeing them so fired up at the final whistle was inspiring!

It reminded my of the gritty 3N win in Durban, but that was just the hors d'oeuvres for this epic

P

pete88

Not sure why you say that, he missed plenty of Springbok infringements even according to the NZ commentators for starters, and are you going to tell me Samo wasn't taken in the air for that lineout? Bryce is just bad, but generally he's even handed in his badness and he was yesterday.

If you're just going to join and post bullshit conspiracy theories that are totally belied by the fact we've beaten NZ twice in the last three matches and SA haven't beaten the ABs first XV since 2009, I'm not sure you're going to have too many of us flocking over to your forums or welcoming you here with open arms, just sayin'.

P

potjiekos

BTW. Wasn't it great to see a touchie ( um...er... Assistant Ref ) doing ther job and penalising SAF for that take down of Samo!

Agreed. Would been even better had he picked up Samo's no-arms shoulder charge on Habana.....

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Anyone who thinks the ABs would rather face the Wallabies is dreaming. ABs hate playing unpredictable teams. There's not a lot in it either way though and I doubt Henry and co are fussed overly.

As for Bryce game, any team that paid attention to his reffing would know how he refs. He has consistently been soft at breakdowns, from Super Rugby onwards.

Either way to say he was why the Boks lost is rubbish. They lost because despite immense opportunity they couldn't put the game away.

It was a titanic effort by the Wallabies in the face of unrelenting assault by the Boks and anyone who can't acknowledge their achievement is just cheap.

You're absolutely right. I have regularly critiqued that we rarely saw in these Wallabies the incredible grit, 'hard mind' and relentless determination and courage (for entire games) that has characterised the finest traditions in Australian sports generally, and great Australian winning teams in particular. Last night we saw just that in Australia's rugby team. It was remarkable and praiseworthy and, for the first time in some time, I felt very proud of these Wallabies (just as I have felt for the 2010/11 Reds). Ironically, it was all the better that they could deliver these attributes when in many other respects playing poorly and with a failing attack.

Many of us were advocates of a Horwill captaincy, and he is now showing us what a fine rugby leader he is. Credit to Deans for making that tough decision; though very late, it has proved a correct judgement much better made than not.

And whilst I stand by my view that the Wallabies of today display a notable lack of evidence of coached-in game plans and technical skill in many areas of their play, Deans (and, notably, Blake) must be given due credit for being able to aid in the marshalling of such incredible resolve and defensive capability in these RWC do-or-die, truly high pressure circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.