• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Barnes is the perfect impact player. If we are behind with 20 minutes left, could't ask for a better substitution. If we are ahead with 20 minutes left, he can help us put the game out of reach.

Too bad Deans doesn't know how to use his bench.....or who should be on it (Higginbotham?!?!)

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I can see the Bokke centres doing to McCabe what the Irish did. They held him up in the tackle and got some valuable turnovers. I would assume there has been some coaching done to ensure this doesn't happen again. Big call given that the Bokke backrow and the centres are as powerful as the Irish.

Well that's why i say we play what's in front of us. If we don't have momentum to hit it up after clean ball then sure i agree with you. Our pack did not play this way against Ireland. It's why i like the idea of having Barnes on the bench for a tactical change.

We'll be right mate.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Moreso than Higginbotham... Yes...

And Higginbothams dour performance against the Russians wouldn't have helped...

Higgers was very poor against Russia, but if we are judging on one game performances, maybe McCalman's international career should of been over many months ago.

What confuses me the most is how can 'Joe Mac' agrees with both our posts even though they are making completely opposite points?!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
The team has been named lads. The Wallaby team.

They play the Springboks this Sunday in a knock out quarterfinal. They'll be home Monday if they lose. Time to forget about who should have been picked where and get behind the lads.

I've got every confidence they can beat the Boks this weekend. Let's start showing some positivity and support our team 100%.

It's just PMT RugbyReg.....PRE-MATCH TENSION!!...."Matter of fact, I've got it now", as John Meillon often said!

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Sharpe is by far our best line-out man, yet we don't start him against the Boks? Are we going to be surprised when they keep kicking for touch so they can take dominate the line-outs? Who is going to counter Matfield? - Vicks?, Big Kev? I just can't understand this decision.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sharpe is by far our best line-out man, yet we don't start him against the Boks? Are we going to be surprised when they keep kicking for touch so they can take dominate the line-outs? Who is going to counter Matfield? - Vicks?, Big Kev? I just can't understand this decision.

I agree, but i see the sense in Vickerman being out there early for tough stuff that is going to ensue.

All this whinging about Deans and the team selected should discontinue, i'll tell you one thing he knows a heck of a lot more about the game than any of us.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)

Originally I was with you but I have changed my mind. Prior to Vickerman's form at this WC, I would have opted for Sharpe for the first 60 and Vicks for impact in the last 20 however with his large penalty count its probably better to play; Vicks for the first 50 and Sharpe to come in and settle the line-out for the last 30...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Sharpe tore their lineout to pieces in the last test, and since Vickerman has taken charge of our lineout this year it's looked a little flakey.

And personally, I'm more concerned about Vickerman's mouth than I am of Pocock's back or McCabe's shoulder.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Originally I was with you but I have changed my mind. Prior to Vickerman's form at this WC, I would have opted for Sharpe for the first 60 and Vicks for impact in the last 20 however with his large penalty count its probably better to play; Vicks for the first 50 and Sharpe to come in and settle the line-out for the last 30...

Agree wholeheartedly

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd be happy with that if he actually gets on at 30 minutes. He could make a big difference then and really throw the boks game plan into disarray but interrupting their line out work.

the question is....will he get on with enough time?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Replacements: Tatafu Polota Nau, James Slipper, Nathan Sharpe, Ben McCalman, Luke Burgess, Berrick Barnes, Anthony Fainga’a.

Replacements: Bismarck du Plessis, C.J. van der Linde, Willem Alberts, Francois Louw, Francois Hougaard, Butch James, Gio Aplon.

60 minutes in, Samo & Elsom will be exhausted. Not sure how they are then going to be able to then take it up another level to deal with Alberts and Louw... This is where the game might be won for the Bokke.

And when it comes to the hooker, an in-form TPN is going to be essential to pick up some of the slack and counter BDP.

Our only hope is to run their front row ragged to be able to get close to parity in the scrums and score a few pies early to give us a buffer from the onslaught in the last 20. For these reasons Barnes would have been a better option to start, and a 5-2 Split might have been the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.