• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
It was tried in the Tri-Nations, and went well.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & McCabe worked pretty well,
there was the win over SouthAfrica B in sydney, the impressive win over South Africa A coming off resting alot of players.

then the losses to Samoa then New zealand.

yep, great combo, they lead to a 50% win rate, first chosen for mine.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I disagree completely. JOC (James O'Connor), KB (Kurtley Beale), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can all play 11/14/15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Fainga'a, Ioane can all play 13. So why not drop McCabe and play Barnes at 12. Fainga'a on the bench with Burgess gives us all the cover we need. That free's a spot up for Hodgson in case Pocock gets injured and gives us another set of fresh legs in the pack where it is most needed.

Deans' plan is again, like all of his plans; hope and pray Pocock doesn't get injured...

It gives us all the cover we need until two non-halfback backs get injured (which has happened on consecutive occasions), and we only have one to bring on.

Dingo isn't the only one praying Pocock isn't injured, no matter who is on the bench.

H

H...

It didn't work because it was wet, or didn't work because from the loosehead prop down to the full ack the team played like crap?

Barnes had a good game against fucking Russia, and suddenly the Wallabies lost to Ireland because McCabe was held up in the tackle on a couple of occasions.

Fortunately, Barnes has never made a mistake resulting in a turnover in his entire test career.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It didn't work because it was wet, or didn't work because from the loosehead prop down to the full ack the team played like crap?

Definitely a big factor, yes, in our back line strategy failing. And the reason we lost the game, obviously.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & McCabe worked pretty well,
there was the win over SouthAfrica B in sydney, the impressive win over South Africa A coming off resting alot of players.

then the losses to Samoa then New zealand.

yep, great combo, they lead to a 50% win rate, first chosen for mine.

Individual players or combinations don't 'lead to' results. You could equally say not to pick AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres because he was a constant in the same results.

If you think we lost to New Zealand because of the McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) centre combination then you're even madder than you seem.

I would be inclined to look to the forwards for better evidence of why we lost those games.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Individual players or combinations don't 'lead to' results. You could equally say not to pick AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres because he was a constant in the same results.

I would be inclined to look to the forwards for evidence of why we lost those games.

But it's much easier to to blame an individual...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
But it's much easier to to blame an individual...

Genia and Cooper played in all those games. In fact Genia and Cooper have played in most of our games over the past year, leading to an approximate 50% win rate. Why are they still being selected?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I really hope A Finger is not there just to cover a suss McCabe (injury speaking). Otherwise if Robbie wanted a crash ball centre he should have just started with Finger at 12 and gone with a 5/2 bench.

As far as McCalman is concerned, with a 4/3 bench I believe we need to have him there, as Hodgson does not adequately cover 6 or 8 (or lock) at test level. He has been effective enough off the bench for the wallabies to warrant selection. One of those solid players you need to come on in big games.

You don't need all bench players to make a massive impact. Some are there just to be solid, add energy and do the job.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

If you think we lost to New Zealand because of the McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) centre combination then you're even madder than you seem.

I would be inclined to look to the forwards for better evidence of why we lost those games.

im not picking on an individual, you cant say they have worked well as a combo at all. is there a fluid movement or play they have brought to the team that creates something we dont have elsewhere?

with Digby back and coming off the wing to take runs over the gain line, do we need a bash ball runner in 12? especially when we have one at 13?

i was responding to the fact that you said it worked well, how did it work well? what did they offer? two straight running centres that were cut out for Beale on a diagonal run to the sideline?

the entire Australian midfield is a waste of space and uneccesary, we may as well start with extra forwards there. Quades just gonna cut them out or there going to run predictable safe lines that earn half a metre but ultimately lead to a turnover.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
It gives us all the cover we need until two non-halfback backs get injured (which has happened on consecutive occasions), and we only have one to bring on.

Dingo isn't the only one praying Pocock isn't injured, no matter who is on the bench.

You have to weigh up the probabilities. What do you think is more likely?

Pocock gets injured battling in one of the most physically challenging games of his career (coming off an injury only a fortnight ago)

Or

2 x backs get injured that aren't the halfback in a forward dominated game...

Seems like an obvious choice...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Based on recent history, it's a lot more likely that two of our backline players will go down...

How many games have been played this year with forwards in the backline? 3?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I personally would have gone barnes over Mccabe at 12. Steady head, steady boot, steady defense and quality attack.
that said, I can see why AFaainga is on the bench. as mentioned there is plenty of cover on the pitch for 11,14 and 15. Don't need anymore. Mccabe could do his shoulder, so you slot barnes on. if anything happens to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane or Coooper, Faainga can come on at 13 or 12. Ioane can play 13, Barnes can play 10 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wing, fullback or 13.

What I don't like is vickerman still in the starting. Should be Sharpe to counter matfield. Vickerman doesn't offer it and horwill isn't quite there (as far as lineouts go - don't get too riled up reds fans).

I'm not convinced vickerman's 'grunt' outweighs his penalty count and his sometimes inexplicable ineffectiveness.

It's going to be a tight one though.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Burger is to slow. Pocock had him for breakfast last year in Brisbane. General pilfering is a skill post players have, it's the speed in which they can do it that is the piont of difference in my view.

I think you'll find that Francois Louw is in fact the cover for Brussow and not Schalk Burger. Francois Louw is more than adequate openside flank cover and would have been right up there with the best opensiders in the Super 15 for the last 2 seasons in terms of turnovers and slowing opposition ball down.

...certainly better openside cover than Ben McCalman.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I rate both Barnes and McCabe very highly but my preference was for Barnes to start and McCabe be on the bench. They both offer a great deal to the side and have a different skill-set. What makes me the most nervous about RD's selection is Barnes will not be on the field to take any shots at goal from the get go. None of "first choice" kickers have been kicking consistently well this international season and was hoping that Barnes' efforts kicking against Russia last weekend would have got him in the run-on side for this week. We all know that these big finals matches have a tendency to be decided on field goals and penalties - even RD had talked to the boys during the Super 15 season about this and encouraged them to take some shots. Barnes would have been another option in that regard and I would have liked to see him lining up for the penalty shots from the get-go. Maybe Barnes will come on with 30 min to go, have a good run and then get a start next week - maybe RD has a "horses for courses" mentality about the two and feels a McCabe more suited to dealing with the Boks and Barnes more suited to a wider running AB side? Who knows? All that said, I believe the boys will get the job done this weekend. They have all the talent they need, and them some. They just need some passion and commitment - and that starts with the piggies. Piggies need to lead the way and backs will cut loose behind them. I know the Kiwis are nervous with loosing Carter, McCaw being 50/50 and the other injuries popping up.....so a really dominant performance by AUS this weekend may help us a little in the mind game department heading in to next week. (not being arrogant - just optimistic)

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
The sides look evenly matched but the benches are world's apart.

Unless TPN can find his old form and McCalman can learn overnight the concept of a 'dominant tackle,' the Bokke bench will likely be the difference between the sides on Sunday.

Reactions: DPK
Status
Not open for further replies.