• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 QF1: Ireland v Wales (W Pool C v RU Pool D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
In the battle of the Vegetable Lovers, the Spud Bashers take on the Leek Eaters in the first of the knock-out stage games.

Both teams are pretty much at full strength, and have made it so far with a couple of tough games behind them.

The Welsh seem to have momentum in their favour, specially when you consider they have survived the pool of death, and there are many who would claim they deserved the Pool Winner position.

Very little pretentiousness from both these outfits, but plenty of old school grunt and grind, with back rows that almost nullify each other.

Welsh may have a bit too much firepower out wide and look the most likely to advance IMHO.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
It's a coin-toss for me. If tossing a coin involved Sean O'Brien mashing people's faces.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
New Zealand should face one of these two in the final.

Just can't see the Frogs or England beat either of these teams in a semi.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm tipping the Welsh in this one but feel it will go down to the wire. Unlike Australia the welsh will have a genuine fetcher on the field who is bloody good maybe the best openside in the world based on this world cup.

Wales by less than 7

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Man such a shame that England are playing France instead of one of these two. These guys should be meeting in the semi-final on form. It's too close to call, I want them both to go through

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I honestly cannot pick it. But I agree these 2 teams are the form NH teams, and who'd have honestly said that 6 weeks ago? I think Ireland might sneak it, but Wales will be a very stern test. Maybe Ireland by 2-3?
I said to Lindommer over a beer tonight that I don't think we have lost anything by having SA in the quarter - we know them better, and their form is less impressive than these two at the moment. Not that I think we have an easy road, or are highly likely to win.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Let's hope they absolutely kill each other and then have to play the Pommies next weekend. Regardless who makes it through the NH side of the draw, they won't be uninjured. Australia is pretty lucky to have South Africa and a Dan Carter-less New Zealand, we will have significantly less injuries (compared to the advancing Irish or Welsh) and we will get to play a more backs-oreintated rugby.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I don't know, I think SOB is in front at the moment and his partnership with Ferris better than anything the Welsh can put forward. I think the Irish will take this one.

Yeah as a whole, the Irish backrow should dominate. Apart from the South Africa Game Faletau has been very quiet. He needs to stand up as does Ryan Jones if they want to win that battle, they cannot rely on Warburton to do it all himself.

T

thedubs

I think Ireland should win this.

The reason being that Irelands team are used to this layout. The Heineken Cup is exactly like the WC. Irelands team has reaped four Heineken Cups in six years! The team knows how to play efficiently, clinnically and play cup rugby.

Wales' backline is really starting to hit form. Then again their two biggest victories and most class was shown against the minnows - there won't get anywhere near that sort of room against the Irish defence. The amount of turnovers Ireland gained when Italy pressed on their 5M line today was unreal.

Backrow battle will be facinating as the two nullify eachother. Lidiate and Warburton are more get-turnover and get the ball out wide backrowers whereas SOB and Ferris are the centres of the team in the sense their the link men and the talismen currently. SOB had some ridiculous state of 15 runs and 78 metres today I think? Thats what? 4/5 metres he gains every time he gets the ball? Really can't wait for this. Wales, NZ and Ireland are by a distance the on form teams of the Tournament. Also expect England to stuff a France team with major background problems.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
While SOB gets much of the plaudits, Ferris at 6 has been a monster. He is playing like a supercharged Kaino. His impact when he cleans out a ruck, or hits a maul is immense.

This game is a toss-up. In my opinion, the team that gets to imposes more of their tempo on the game wins. If Wales can up the tempo, they may have an edge. If Ireland can narrow the field of play (wet conditions, ball control), I see them emerging as the winners.

For me, continued references to the HEC is not that relevant. It's a club comp with weeks in between contests in which Irish players can be withdrawn from local league play (Magner's/Pro 12) while their French and English counterparts do not have that same luxury.

R

Rugby Nick

SoB may be in top form but as someone else said I think Warburton may well be the form fetcher in the world so far this RWC - but then as a Welshman I'm obviously biased.

I am unconvinced by the Irish backline, but they have a lot of firepower up front. If we can avoid the arm wrestle I think we'll do it - the likes of North, Halfpenny and Roberts should have too much. But if we end up in a slogfest it's Irish's game. Toss a coin and hope for the best really.

I'll be biased and say us by 6

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Am I correct in thinking that, during the last five years, the Irish have missed a couple of opportunities to win the 6N or a Grand Slam by losing the final game? Whereas the Welsh have won two 6N/Grand Slams? I think the Welsh have enough experience in crunch games. I'm hoping for a Welsh victory (notwithstanding my Irish heritage). Either way, it will be a good thing to see a Celtic nation in the semis. First time since Scotland in '91?

R

Rugby Nick

Am I correct in thinking that, during the last five years, the Irish have missed a couple of opportunities to win the 6N or a Grand Slam by losing the final game? Whereas the Welsh have won two 6N/Grand Slams? I think the Welsh have enough experience in crunch games. I'm hoping for a Welsh victory (notwithstanding my Irish heritage). Either way, it will be a good thing to see a Celtic nation in the semis. First time since Scotland in '91?

Don't think they have lost a final crunch match, but they have certainly lost matches they could or should have won to prevent them from challenging for titles they were capable of winning.

Plus Wales won last time out (even if we needed a dodgy linesman call to do it)

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
These two teams are are so even, I reckon a draw at the end of 80 is on the cards. The luck of the Irish will see Wales home in extra time.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
The whisper is that Ireland's hooker Best is now out of the tournament with a rumoured fracture of the collar bone. It's a big loss. Ireland lost Flannery earlier in the tournament. Ireland are now down to their 3rd choice hooker who cant distinguish between a lineout and a line for the toilets. He can't hit a barn down consistently for 80 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.