• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Pool D - Fiji, Namibia, Wales, South Africa, Samoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
You're absolutely right PB, Williams was holding Brussouw jersey and Brussouw had every right to try to break free, striking Williams arms no big deal. But not with forearms to the back of the head/neck its incredibly dangerous.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That should be:

If the right call was made, Samoa were a big chance to make it 13 - 10 and really put SA under pressure
If my auntie had balls she would have been my uncle. We'll never know at least the Bokke defense start to look Stormers like in the S15. If they keep on improving at it, they will be difficult to beat. Defenses win WCs, ask Jake White.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
You're absolutely right PB, Williams was holding Brussouw jersey and Brussouw had every right to try to break free, striking Williams arms no big deal. But not with forearms to the back of the head/neck its incredibly dangerous.

He stripped his moer, it could have been much worse.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
I reckon Samoa have been one of the best teams at the RWC. They have played consistently well in all games and I would have loved to see them get the the QF stage.

Mostly Samoa have played a very high energy yet mature style - though a few critica errors in the Wales game and the SA game cost them both matches. They were literally just centimetres from victory in both those games. Wales to their credit played really well to hold out Samoa and they are look to be in good shape for the QFs

On the other hand I think SA can count themselves a bit fortunate to escape with two close but unconvincing wins against Wales and Samoa - though it must be said the SA defence is great, they seem to have so much pace to help them scramble when the gain line is broken, as it was several times by the Samoans.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Did the Samoans play their RWC final at Stadium Aust vs the Wobs?

They won lots of fans for their game plan and skills on display then, but was it too early? Did they show their hand and allow their foes to analyse that game and develop counters? Did the Samoans think that they could continue to ambush top 5 IRB teams with the same ease that they did to the Men in Gold?

I would have liked to see them advance to the next stage but then I would also have liked to see the horse I backed in last years Melbourne Cup to have won the f^%king thing instead of coming 7th. Lucky it was only a $20 win bet.

Samoan performance will improve with more of their players exposed to the professional leagues.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
This isn't correct, seen from in field you could see brussouw hit Williams in the base of skull neck region with his forearm at least twice also, either of which are very really potentially fatal. Williams staggers, rights himself and open hand strikes/pushes brussouw to the face.

On the street I would not have pushed Brussouw i'd have made the palm heel count and dislocated his bloody jaw.

As it stands Williams retaliated, red card was not unreasonable, but brussouw needs citing for an extremely reckless pair of strikes.

So I have been told.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Obvious Owen favours his raging hard on for the bokke, absolutely dire officiating and hope this is the end of the WC road for him and wish him the best and stay the heck away from SH rugby...

SAF were lucky to get away in the 2nd half as the momentum had shifted significantly in Manu favour and with the impending QF vs Wob... SAF wont progress with a similar gameplan even with Samo on the wing....

Wondering how is a slap in the face and a shove in the head graded? Which is more severe? Should have atleast been consistent rulings... Someone should have reminded Owens "This isn't tiddlywinks"...

Anyways great game and next time Manu...chooohoooo!!

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
You're kidding yourself if you think Samo will be anywhere other than 8 after this game

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I haven't watched the whole game so don't know what preceded the Williams - Brussow incident but the red card looked harsh to me. Frankly I think the situation would have been best dealt with by the ref telling both brussow and williams to stop being dickheads and get on with the game, and maybe a penalty against Williams for hanging on to start it all off.

First time I have ever seen a south african rugby player take a dive, Bakkies won't be happy.

Given Owens went to the red card for Williams, the match reveiw committee will take a close look at Brussow's involvement. Possible he will have a case to answer given it did look like he made contact to williams head with his forearm twice.

I think the whole thing could have been better dealt with by the onfield officials and it would have been a non-incident.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Samoa got away with murder at the breakdown in the second half but fair play to them.

SA can sure defend but we do not have enough points in us to win this World Cup. Our attack is poorly coached and the tactics are predictable. Simple.

People talking about defense winning World Cups have not taken note of the way New Zealand plays. They will win the thing with their attack unless someone outscores them. You read it here first.

Same ol' plan for the Wallabies against us. Take some angry pills and front at the coal face. Take it wide with decoy runners and expose the space outside Fourie when he rushes up. Much like the Reds and the Crusaders beat the Stormers, but if the Bok forwards get a leg up, forget it.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
I try not to be critical of referees because it tends to lead to over generalisations about some of the decisions, but I understand peoples right to, and believe in this game there was some merit to it. My greater point is the appointment of Owens to this game. This is a little bit of a conspiracy theory etc. but in the day of neutral referees how can the IRB appoint a Welsh referee to this game. Yes I understand Wales is not playing but the result has a baring on Wales standings in the pool.
I am not suggesting Owens used his influence to change the game to help Wales but the IRB should look a little closer when appointing referees for do or die world cup pool matches that also has an effect on other countries in the pool.
Anyway, congratulations Samoa on a competitive tournament. You are quickly becoming a team I love to watch. All it will take to be more competitive is a little discipline. Whatever way you look at Williams was stupid and the constant pushing the pass in half break situations may have cost you the game.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Re-watching the Williams red card, it was interesting to see we got the full range of emotions from Brussow; first he tried to bash Williams like the quintessential tough guy, then he screamed blue murder and threw the toys out of the pram, and finally he put in a gold medal winning 9 on the 3m springboard. Classic stuff.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Yea how dare he get upset for been held illegally and then to top it off he arrogantly bled after been klapped in the face.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
First time I have ever seen a south african rugby player take a dive, Bakkies won't be happy.

Its not in the bokke psyche, its just not rugby... and the day that players turn to diving is the day i turn my back on rugby!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Greetings all, Iechyd da i chwi yn awr ac yn oesoedd and Bula.

How good is the Welsh Anthem, Land of My Father, IIRC. Not quite the same when not sung by the massed choir of 50000 Cardiff Arms Park spectators.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Scrappy opening moves from both teams.

For all the Barnes Haters out there, it took 3 minutes before the first (minor) thing to happen which will fuel your anger/hatred.

Jamie Roberts Welsh 12 over under the dot. Dummy and sidestep past a weak tackle to stroll 22 metres in for try 1. Converted.

Leek Eaters 7 Fiji 0 6 minutes gone.

Update:
Fiji playing 15 man 7 aside rugby with not a lot of structure. Dingo would be happy as they are playing what's in front of them.

High Risk footy. Coal Miners happy to bide their time and absorb pressure.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Missed the Geo v Argies game & half the NZ v Canada game - I think I've now finally got past that Scot v Eng game anyhow...

Bad feeling this could get ugly for Fiji, hope they make a fist of it. Expect Wales to win of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.