• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Pool B - Scotland, Romania, England, Georgia, Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah they did a slowmo on the Parks kick, and Contepomi was probably a step offside. Hardly a mile, and I don't think it was a huge howler, especially considering blowing a penalty would have effectively given Scotland the match.

Thought it was another good performance from Barnes, hopefully he gets a Semi.
I bet he won't. Not that I would agree with that. But he'll get no love from NZ, Wales and Scotland I guess. But who really knows how the refs are organised and assigned at that stage?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
GO THE SCOTTISH! Would have to be the upset of the tournament if England don't progress.. I mean that has to be worse than losing to Ireland right?

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Wayne Barnes is the best ref going. Just his touchies have let him down. Kaplan missed the forward pass as assisstant in 07, the guys said no need to go upstairs, again touchies. Touchies should have given him offside call here if they thought so, he was making sure argies weren't turning the breakdown over.

He encourages flow in the game like no other ref and in the past like 5 games aus has played with him reffing we have scored AT LEAST three tries. Some of the games he has reffed have been a pleasure to watch spectacle wise too.

Think Bloemfontine, Tri Nations Decider

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah they did a slowmo on the Parks kick, and Contepomi was probably a step offside. Hardly a mile, and I don't think it was a huge howler

I've watched it again on HD and I can't see a case where you can say that Contepomi's left foot (standing still) was in front of last feet, nor that he was in front of the offside line when the scrummie first touched the ball which must have emerged from the ruck as he didn't have to pull it out. I think that Barnes was right; accidentally right, but right.

If you slowed down all the off-side calls frame-by-frame, I bet a that a hell of a lot of calls wouldn't look off-side. For my money, in live action, he was well off-side.

Both comments I agreed with, and yes, he did look offside in live action, as I mentioned, and yes, also, Contepomi thought he was offside, also as I mentioned, but none of that argues that Barnes was not right, accidentally right and technically right, but right.

When he's a clear metre to two in front of all the other defenders it makes it hard to think that he wasn't offside.

He was in front of the other guys and you're right, it is very difficult to think that he wasn't offside, which I agreed with, but he, almost certainly accidentally, wasn't past last feet when the scrummie first touched the ball, which meant it must have emerged, because he didn't have to tug it out, as mentioned.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Am amazed that Romania's captain and hooker Marius Tincu didn't get a card in the whole tournament. He's a 24 carat nutter - as is Cudmore of Canada, who has also been a good boy.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think it's because they realised how important they both were for their sides. Both were essentially their "star players"

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Childish maybe but wondering how the TV callers have managed to call Romanian Stefan Ciuntu's activities.

Shades of Basketballer Gregor Fučka at the Sydney Olympics.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Scottish 10 looked like he was grabbing his hamy.

Update: And he's gone Parks on early.

Update: Max Evans great to hang onto the ball there. Cross field kick was on from Dan Parks but just couldnt hang onto it there Scotland.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Time for the Scottish to really stand up after a pretty ordinary cup so far.

There seemed to be some fire in their bellies during the Flower of Scotland.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Och Aye the Noo, it's Mac#1? here.

3 - 0 to the good guys. Call the game off now to save further embarrassment to the English.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Can someone confirm that Scotland need to get a four try bonus point OR beat England by more than 7 points to go through as second in the pool (assuming Argies get 5 points against Georgia) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.