• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Pool B - Scotland, Romania, England, Georgia, Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Enjoyed the game, plenty of tension, and before game thought (and probably hoped) Argos would win. As game got going started to swing other way, and got behind Scots, so obviously didn't worry me too much who won, just feel for either of those teams missing QFs.
I know ,I know I getting soft.

T

tranquility

Even though there was only one try, I thought that was a fantastic game of rugby. The puma spirit, is truly uplifting. Unless I am mistaken the flyhalf tonight is an amateur, who plays in the Argy comp. Imagine how good they can be.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Even though there was only one try, I thought that was a fantastic game of rugby. The puma spirit, is truly uplifting. Unless I am mistaken the flyhalf tonight is an amateur, who plays in the Argy comp. Imagine how good they can be.

I think Fernandez plays for Montpellier. But yes, the Argentine spirit is one of the reasons they are one of my second teams at WC's

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
In terms of intensity yes, skill and entertainment wise no. Wales vs South Africa is still my no.1

The Welsh game was great as well. Skill-wise it might have been a little lacking, but I love these tough intense forward battles. I think I prefer tests like this to free flowing tests where the defence is poor and the forward battle less intense.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
If:

Argentina win against Georgia, with bonus point (this will happen)
Scotland beat England by 7+

There gone.
I'm having all the lads over next weekend and we will be screaming for Scotland. Would be absolutely brilliant if they got up, wouldn't that just be the ultimate turn up, second placed in 2007, winner 2003, group stage 2011 after looking like one of the form teams.

Loving this world cup, how dramatic was that game

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
If Scotland beat England next week, and England don't get a bonus point. They are outtie :D.. one time, please Scotland beat England with no bonus point.

Only if Argentina win with a bonus point against Georgia. This is likely I suppose, but not certain, particularly if the weather packs in.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm so disappointed by Scotland this evening. They had that game and let it slide. Going to take a minor miracle to go through to the quarters now.

Was a very tense game. Once again the Argies had a horrible run of injuries. Losing Fernández Lobbe was a crushing blow for them.

The Scottish wingers were fantastic. Really put in a massive workload and made metres every time. Richie Gray had a fantastic game too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Wayne Barnes has fucked up royally. All those Argies were offside.

Well now. Mr Barnes has committed major Faux Pas in the eyes of the Scots, Welsh and Kiwi fans at successive RWC's.

It is often said that the lot of the referee is a lonely one, but there is no need to try and make it more lonely with howlers like these.

In his defence, hindsight assisted by Slo-mo replays makes us all RWC standard referees from the comfort of our lounge rooms. There are a lot of moving parts for Barnsey to keep his one set of eyes on simultaneously. The law of averages states that he is going to get some of them wrong some of the time.

Unfortunately for him, the times he gets it wrong seem to upset people, and apparently change the result of the game.

Play better, and score more than the other mob and then mistakes of this type will not have much of an impact on the game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Was that during the last drop goal attempt by Parks? Yes it seemed to me that Contepomi was miles in front and I rewound my recording to give the details to agree with you - but he actually wasn't when I looked at it frame by frame. When scrummie Blair first had his hands on the ball Contepomi's left foot was at worst level with last feet in the ruck - about a foot in front of the 5M line.

If "hands on" can be deemed to be "ball out" (and sometimes it isn't when the scrummie has to tug it free; not the case here), then Contepomi was fine, though I would have blown the whistle watching it live. He would have been well offside when the ball left Blair's hands, but that is not the law. When the ball is out of the ruck is the is the relevant time to judge if a player is offside, or not.

His rush forced RF kicker Parks to kick with his left foot and he missed.

Contepomi - and Barnes - got it right, though the Pumas would have been penalised more often than not, day in, day out. Even Contepomi thought he was offside: “Maybe it’s the benefit of being the captain,” Contepomi said of the incident. It was a very tough decision to make. Wayne Barnes fortunately he had his back to me.”

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Only if Argentina win with a bonus point against Georgia. This is likely I suppose, but not certain, particularly if the weather packs in.

I think its highly likely given the way they took appart romania . Plus knowing that it can be done with a bonus point i think thats what they will go out and try to do . The hard bit will be England losing to scotland by more than 7 . I see that less likely than arg not getting 4 against georgia . It would be SO awsome if this happens After the shit ive been copping from my english mates.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Big game, big call and Barnes goes missing again. Even Contepomi says he was off-side.

Rugby World Cup: Barnes under fire from Scotland
8:56 AM Monday Sep 26, 2011

He's not too popular with All Blacks fans, has upset the Welsh at the tournament, now referee Wayne Barnes may be in hot water with Scotland supporters.

Barnes controlled Argentina's 13-12 win over Scotland in Wellington, a result that puts the Pumas on course for a quarterfinal showdown with the All Blacks and the Scots on the brink of elimination.

Dan Parks had the chance to win the game but his drop goal attempt went well wide.

However Puma's captain Felipe Contepomi says he was well offside when he charged at Parks to put him under pressure.

Contepomi says Scotland was the better side.

Scotland coach Andy Robinson says it was his side's match to lose and they did.

Scotland now needs a bonus point win over England or for Georgia to upset the Pumas to make the quarterfinals.

If you slowed down all the off-side calls frame-by-frame, I bet a that a hell of a lot of calls wouldn't look off-side. For my money, in live action, he was well off-side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When he's a clear metre to two in front of all the other defenders it makes it hard to think that he wasn't offside.

Dan Parks had to abort his kick and try and set it up again for Scotland. That in itself would have probably been difficult with the number of defenders bearing down on him and the lack of players behind him to control the breakdown, but the left foot, off balance shot was 100-1.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What a game - really thought Scotland were going to prevail after the Argies were dropping like flies. It's a credit to them they managed to completely nullify any Scotland attack in the final 2-3 mins of extra time. Also quite fitting that our future Four Nations colleagues will be in the play-offs.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah they did a slowmo on the Parks kick, and Contepomi was probably a step offside. Hardly a mile, and I don't think it was a huge howler, especially considering blowing a penalty would have effectively given Scotland the match.

Thought it was another good performance from Barnes, hopefully he gets a Semi.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
To be fair Scotland were the better team and in no way had a poor performance.

I'm confused why Parks didn't just take the tackle? Set up phase for Paterson to have a crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.